Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Cutting down on fat and weight...

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting down on fat and weight...  (Read 415 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: May 11, 2011 08:45 am »

Want To Curb Your Appetite And Stop Sugar Cravings? Then Put These On Your Grocery List.

Thirty billion a year -- that's about how much Americans spend on slim-down products, many of which don't even work. A better way to get real weight-loss results? Go grocery shopping. New research points to more than a dozen foods, from beans to beef, that can help you fight hunger, kick your candy addiction, boost your metabolism-and ultimately shed pounds. And some of these superfoods deliver health bonuses too.

1. Eggs. Skip the bagel this morning. Eggs, which are full of protein, will help you feel fuller longer-a lot longer. A multicenter study of 30 overweight or obese women found that those who ate two scrambled eggs (with two slices of toast and a reduced-calorie fruit spread) consumed less for the next 36 hours than women who had a bagel breakfast of equal calories. Other research has shown that protein may also prevent spikes in blood sugar, which can lead to food cravings.

2. Beans. You've probably never heard of cholecystokinin, but it's one of your best weight-loss pals. This digestive hormone is a natural appetite suppressant. So how do you get more cholecystokinin? One way, report researchers at the University of California at Davis, is by eating beans: A study of eight men found that their levels of the hormone (which may work by keeping food in your stomach longer) were twice as high after a meal containing beans than after a low-fiber meal containing rice and dry milk. There's also some evidence that beans keep blood sugar on an even keel, so you can stave off hunger longer. Heart-health bonus: High-fiber beans can lower your cholesterol.

3. Salad. Do you tend to stuff yourself at meals? Control that calorie intake by starting with a large salad (but hold the creamy dressing). In a study of 42 women at Penn State University, those who ate a big, low-cal salad consumed 12 percent less pasta afterward-even though they were offered as much as they wanted. The secret, say researchers, is the sheer volume of a salad, which makes you feel too full to pig out. Health bonus: A study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that people who ate one salad a day with dressing had higher levels of vitamins C and E, folic acid, lycopene, and carotenoids-all disease fighters-than those who didn't add salad to their daily menu.

4. Green tea. The slimming ingredient isn't caffeine. Antioxidants called catechins are what help speed metabolism and fat burning. In a recent Japanese study, 35 men who drank a bottle of oolong tea mixed with green tea catechins lost weight, boosted their metabolism, and had a significant drop in their body mass index. Health bonus: The participants also lowered their (bad) LDL cholesterol.

5. Pears. They're now recognized as having more fiber, thanks to a corrected calculation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. At six grams (formerly four grams) per medium-size pear, they're great at filling you up. Apples come in second, with about three grams per medium-size fruit. Both contain pectin fiber, which decreases blood-sugar levels, helping you avoid between-meal snacking. This may explain why, in a Brazilian study that lasted 12 weeks, overweight women who ate three small pears or apples a day lost more weight than women on the same diet who ate three oat cookies daily instead of the fruit.

6. Soup. Researchers speculate that even the simplest soup satisfies hunger because your brain perceives it as filling.

7. Olive oil. Fight off middle-age pounds with extra virgin olive oil. A monounsaturated fat, it'll help you burn calories. In an Australian study, 12 postmenopausal women (ages 57 to 73) were given a breakfast cereal dressed either with a mixture of cream and skim milk or half an ounce of olive oil and skim milk. The women who ate the oil-laced muesli boosted their metabolism. Don't want to add olive oil to your oatmeal? That's OK-it works just as well in salad dressings, as a bread dip, or for sautéing.

8. Grapefruit. It's back! A 2006 study of 91 obese people conducted at the Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center at Scripps Clinic found that eating half a grapefruit before each meal or drinking a serving of the juice three times a day helped people drop more than three pounds over 12 weeks. The fruit's phytochemicals reduce insulin levels, a process that may force your body to convert calories into energy rather than flab.

9. Cinnamon. Sprinkle it on microwave oatmeal or whole-grain toast to help cure those mid-afternoon sugar slumps. Research from the U.S.
Department of Agriculture found that a little cinnamon can help control post-meal insulin spikes, which make you feel hungry. Health bonus: One USDA study showed that just a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon a day lowered the blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels in people with type 2 diabetes.

10. Vinegar. It's a great filler-upper. In a Swedish study, researchers found that people who ate bread dipped in vinegar felt fuller than those who had their slices plain. The probable reason: Acetic acid in the vinegar may slow the passage of food from the stomach into the small intestine, so your tummy stays full longer. Vinegar can also short-circuit the swift blood-sugar rise that occurs after you eat refined carbs such as white bread, cookies, and crackers.

11. Tofu. It seems too light to be filling, but a study at Louisiana State University showed that tofu does the job. Researchers tested it against chicken as a pre-meal appetizer for 42 overweight women-and the participants who had tofu ate less food during the meal. The secret: Tofu is an appetite-quashing protein.

12. Nuts. Yes, they are fattening: A handful of peanuts is about 165 calories. But research shows that people who snack on nuts tend to be slimmer than those who don't. A study from Purdue University found that when a group of 15 normal-weight people added about 500 calories worth of peanuts to their regular diet, they consumed less at subsequent meals. The participants also revved up their resting metabolism by 11 percent, which means they burned more calories even when relaxing. Health bonus: Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids. And researchers at Loma Linda University recently found that eating 10 to 20 whole pecans daily can reduce heart disease risks.

13. High-fiber cereal. Studies show that you can curb your appetite by eating a bowl for breakfast. But how well does it really work? Researchers at the VA Medical Center and the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis tested the theory against the ultimate diet challenge: the buffet table. They gave 14 volunteers one of five cereals before sending them out to the smorgasbord. Those who'd had the highest-fiber cereal ate less than those who didn't have as much fiber in the morning. Try General Mills Fiber One (14 grams per serving) or Kellogg's All Bran With Extra Fiber (13 grams per serving).

14. Hot red pepper. Eating a bowl of spicy chili regularly can help you lose weight. In a Japanese study, 13 women who ate breakfast foods with red pepper (think southwestern omelet) ate less than they normally did at lunch. The magic ingredient may be capsaicin, which helps suppress appetite.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 09:15 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Serena Duvet

In silence and stillness, I find peace.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011 09:16 am »

Dear Steve,

This is very interesting and good information for the most part, although I can think of other soups that I would rather eat than chicken soup.  As for TOFU...that should be avoided unless it is organic.  Most soybeans are genetically modified in the United States.  Only eat organic TOFU!  From an article by Dr. Mercola: 

Eight Foods You Should Almost Never, Ever Eat

There are currently eight genetically modified food crops on the market:

Soy, Corn, Cottonseed (used in vegetable cooking oils), Canola (canola oil), Sugar from sugar beets, Hawaiian papaya, Some varieties of zucchini, and Crookneck squash.

This means you should avoid products with corn, soy, canola, and any of their derivatives listed as an ingredient, unless it's labeled USDA 100% Organic.

Avoid GMO (Genetically Modified) Foods

"GM soy and corn contain significantly higher concentrations of allergens than unmodified varieties. Evidence also suggests that the genetic abnormalities of GM foods may transfer to bacteria in the human gut, thereby exposing people to their detrimental effects long after a food has been consumed"

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028245_GM_food_side_effects.html#ixzz1LckIkuC2

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 09:18 am by Serena Duvet » Report Spam   Logged

A smile is the beginning of peace.   Mother Teresa
Charmed*4sure

love & magik enrich the soul & delight the heart

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011 09:30 am »

Thank you Steve and Serena for the health information.

Don't just skip the bagel, skip the egg too ! YUK !

After all these years, apples have lost the number one place ... replaced now by pears
" a pear a day keeps the partridges away "  Cheesy

and as to foods one should never eat, now how in the world is one to know which variety of zucchini is ok to eat ?

and tofu ? YUK !! just skip that one altogether, including the organic version, like eating rubber !

I read an article, sorry can't recall who or where, that said just because a food is listed as " organic " doesn't mean it is good for you. And of course, they gave some reasons...

love & magik * to you both !
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 09:41 am by Charmed*4sure » Report Spam   Logged
Serena Duvet

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011 07:49 pm »

"and as to foods one should never eat, now how in the world is one to know which variety of zucchini is ok to eat ?

and tofu ? YUK !! just skip that one altogether, including the organic version, like eating rubber !

I read an article, sorry can't recall who or where, that said just because a food is listed as " organic " doesn't mean it is good for you."

Dear Charmed*4sure,

The zucchini should be organic. 

And yes, there are a lot of processed foods out there that say they are organic that are not good for you, like sugary cereals, etc. 

Serena
Report Spam   Logged

Charmed*4sure

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011 10:57 pm »

The ideal answer is to plant your own garden !  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
yoshi

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011 03:48 pm »

The ideal answer is to plant your own garden !  Smiley

u betcha Charmed !   Cheesy not only is our own food healthier for us and more taste-full too....it is such a one-der-full way to actively meditate....and give the plants love.....after all,,,anything that lives has god inside it... yes ?   Wink  <3<3<3

i love gardening.....so peaceful....calming...soothing....

this year i will have peas, greenbeans, green onions, lettuce, radishes, many varieties of tomatoes including yellow pear...grape...stripies...better boys....early girls (couple of others i cannot recall at this moment Grin), many varieties of cucumber, brussel sprouts, zucchini, rhubarb and asparagus.   i also have 4 apple trees and two peach trees....then i also have wild raspberries growing all over in the woods surrounding the house <3<3<3

if i was able to have limitless garden...i would have two of every kind of fruit tree....and many kinds of every vegetable  Cheesy

(((Hugs&Love&OM)))
yoshi
Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Serena Duvet

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011 07:06 pm »

"if i was able to have limitless garden...i would have two of every kind of fruit tree....and many kinds of every vegetable"  [Yoshi] 

Me, too!  How wonderful, the garden you have and surrounding raspberries.  Love your tomato names.   i hear Early Girls grow well.

Right now I just have herbs at my condominium.

Serena
Report Spam   Logged

yoshi

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011 07:43 pm »

"if i was able to have limitless garden...i would have two of every kind of fruit tree....and many kinds of every vegetable"  [Yoshi] 

Me, too!  How wonderful, the garden you have and surrounding raspberries.  Love your tomato names.   i hear Early Girls grow well.

Right now I just have herbs at my condominium.

Serena

((( Serena )))

your herbs....that's great !  do u have a balcony ?  if u do...u could grow some veggies in a pot....i have a gal pal who is limited on space , she grows tomato plants in pots on balcony  Smiley  or maybe , if u have a sunny spot inside, put a hook in the ceiling and grow inside ...cherry or some variety of small tomato....  those varieties of tomato plants grow tall.....6 ft tall or so...so in a hanging basket they would almost reach the floor,,,,if ceilings are 8 ft  Cheesy

i also have an herb garden, small, but packed with goodness....i have 4 different types of mint , chocolate, apple, pineapple and spearmint  Grin...yarrow, garlic & chives...also some green onions there too....oh, and some sort of smelly plant,,,good for aroma in house  Cheesy

(((Hugs&Love&OM)))
Report Spam   Logged

~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
yoshi

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011 05:55 pm »

((( Steve Hydonus )))  thank u for such an informative post <3<3<3

for anyone interested....there are many vegetarians in india,,,,their main way of getting protein is thru chick peas....aka garbanzo beans  Wink

there are products made with garbanzo beans.....there is a noodle called sev.....there is flour made from garbanzo's called besan or gram flour  Smiley

(((Hugs&Love&OM)))
yoshi
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011 06:27 pm by yoshi » Report Spam   Logged

~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Serena Duvet

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011 12:54 am »

Yes, yes, Yoshi!

Garbanzo beans are amazing.  It must be a very healthy flour, high in protein

and so far, not genetically modified.  The very best pancakes I have ever had,

gluten free, are made from this flour mixed with rice flour.  Hummous is good.

Yes, I do have a balcony (very small) and a friend grew tomatoes on their roof

top garden, hanging style..  I want to try that next year.  It's too late, now,

isn't it?  I am in Southern California.  The plant that gives an aroma to your house,

that fragrant plant you have, I wonder what it is?  Rosemary or Lavender?

Can you attach a photo or detailed description?

Serena
Report Spam   Logged

Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011 07:07 am »

((( Steve Hydonus )))  thank u for such an informative post <3<3<3

for anyone interested....there are many vegetarians in india,,,,their main way of getting protein is thru chick peas....aka garbanzo beans  Wink

there are products made with garbanzo beans.....there is a noodle called sev.....there is flour made from garbanzo's called besan or gram flour  Smiley

(((Hugs&Love&OM)))
yoshi

Hi Yoshi i have an interest in this article particularly since i like to dump sugar, honey and maple syrup in my drinks so i have been looking for foods to substitute this sweet tooth craving. i actually had to stop myself from going to coffee houses because i dumped so much turbinado sugar in the decaf. i keep hearing good things about olive oil. Even Yogananda's lessons mention it. i am considering using it more in place of butter/margarine God Christ Gurus

Steve

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011 07:13 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Charmed*4sure

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011 08:05 pm »

yoshi,

You have a whole toss salad and fruit salad too, growing in your garden !  Cheesy

one-der-ful !

*love & magik*
Charmed*4sure
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: