Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

fennel

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fennel  (Read 315 times)
guest88
« on: Jun 03, 2011 09:15 am »

Fennel

Foeniculum vulgare
Family: Umbelliferae

...As an antispasmodic, fennel acts on the smooth muscle of the respiratory passages as well as the stomach and intestines, so fennel preparations are used to relieve bronchial spasms. Because it relaxes bronchial passages, allowing them to open wider, it is sometimes included in asthma, bronchitis, and cough formulas.
-good for indigestion, cramps, and bloating, as well as for colic in infants.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cUa3sXBZ4UsC&dq=herbs+for+health+and+healing+Jill+Stansbury&hl=en&ei=paLmTf_AEKr50gH5zuWSCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=1&ved=0CEQQ6wEwAA
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2011 03:55 pm »

Thanks for the info and pictures on fennel Eric. i think i have seen it growing live in the canyon where i live.

Steve
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
yoshi

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2011 10:21 pm »

yummy....fennel....tastes like black licorice  Cheesy

yes....thank u eric for all the informational posts on herbs.

raw garlic ?!?  ewwwwwie ...that's some strong stuff !  i bit into a clove last year.....and w0w,,,did it burn !  Grin

(((Hugs&Love&OM)))
yoshi
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2011 10:22 pm by yoshi » Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
guest88
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2011 01:27 am »

hi anne
a mild burn is ok but you may be sensitive to garlic and therefore should not eat in large amounts or ingest as a medicine.
symptoms of sensitivity towards garlic include- nausea, uncomfortable heat and/or upset stomach. your body may not digest sulfur compounds well causing gas/bloating.

you can try to reduce the amount you eat and perhaps grind the garlic into small finer pieces. maybe fennel will help settle the stomach if this becomes a regular practice. you can also try roasting the garlic bulb to mellow its strength. the book mentions eating small amounts frequently at the onset of a cold or flu for a natural antibiotic effect.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2011 02:04 am »

hi 14,

I have seen this in gardens but never knew what it was. Thanks for the info and the pictures !
Because it relaxes bronchial passages, allowing them to open wider, it is sometimes included in asthma, bronchitis, and cough formulas.
Do you think they are talking about herbal medicines or over the counter type cough medicines ?

I wonder if one could seep this in hot water, and drink it like a tea ? hmmm on second thought, drinking black licorice ?  Shocked I am not sure about that, lol !

Into Blue 
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2011 06:15 pm »

herbal remedies intoblue

parts used include leaves and seeds. you can prepare it as a tea or eat it in a salad. pregnant women should not consume large portions as it could cause their milk to come in too early. fennel seeds are most commonly used as a medicine and spice. crushing the seeds before using them causes for a better flavor and effect.

the potency of herbs as medicine can be compared to the freshness through taste, aroma, color, etc.

Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2011 10:26 pm »

Thank you for the added info on the herbal remedies, such a simple way to just add it to a salad ! And of course, the tea is an easy way too.

I saw an article on herbs, your postings got me interested in learning more ~
It talked about drying herbs by tying bunches together and hanging them upside down, then crumbling them and putting them in bottles. This I already knew and is most logical.

Then it mentioned, chopping up fresh herbs, putting them in icecube trays, filling with water and freezing them. I like this idea too !

Into Blue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: