Spiritual Portal
Apr 20, 2024 04:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

basil

Recent Items

Views: 3
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 9
Comments (0)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: basil  (Read 291 times)
guest88
« on: Jun 05, 2011 06:22 pm »

Basil

Ocimum basilicum
Family: Labiatae

...Materia Medica  the Greek physician Dioscorides described the African belief that sweet basil checks the pain caused by a scorpion’s
sting. The Romans also used Basil to counteract poisoning, as a diueretic acid and stimulate breast-milk production.

...Basil has proven useful in treating depression, anxiety, migraines and difficulty in sleeping. Sweet basil leaves can be applied externally to act as an insect repellent and the juice from the leaves brings relief from bites and stings.

http://www.botanicalsearch.com/pdfupload/Botanical/Ocimum%20Basilicum.pdf

Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2011 10:12 pm »

Thank you 14 !  Smiley  And here I thought there was only one kind, looking at the picture must be a variety of varieties. Nice to know what the different leaves look like.

I had heard that basil helped as an insect repellent, so I was basically wondering about that.

Your posts on the different herbs has been very helpful, thanks for sharing !

Into Blue
Report Spam   Logged
Serena Duvet

In silence and stillness, I find peace.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011 12:13 pm »

Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) is an herb native to India, where it is known as tulsi. It is sacred in the Hindu religious tradition and is regarded as one of the most important plants used in Ayurvedic medicine. If you go to India, you will see holy basil growing in profusion around Hindu temples. It comes in red and green varieties, both with a strong, pleasant aroma. More clove-like than that of culinary basil, holy basil has been used for centuries to treat a variety of medical conditions including heart problems, asthma, bronchitis, arthritis and eye disorders. Although historically it hasn't been used for cooking, some American cooks have begun to experiment with it.

Related Weil Products
Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor for Your Personal Care - Thousands of people have benefited from Dr. Weil's nutritional supplement recommendations, designed to complement your lifestyle and optimize your health. Learn more, and get your free, personalized Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor Recommendation today.
In the past decade or so a number of scientific studies have looked at holy basil for various treatment purposes. All of these studies have been done in animals, usually laboratory mice and rats, so we can't be certain that results will translate to humans. Findings from these various investigations suggest that holy basil might have some effects as a painkiller, a COX-II anti-inflammatory agent, an antioxidant, and as a treatment for bacterial, fungal and even viral infections. There is also evidence (again, only from animal studies) that holy basil might help control blood sugar.

The most compelling evidence I've reviewed indicates that holy basil may help counteract the effects of stress. In fact, preparations made from holy basil are widely used to treat stress-related health problems in India and elsewhere. One study, published in 1991 in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology, compared holy basil to Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) and Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) and found that holy basil was the most potent anti-stress agent of the three, and also had the highest margin of safety. However, this study, as well as a dozen others I found in a search of the medical literature, was conducted in laboratory animals, not humans.

I know that holy basil is being promoted as a treatment for reducing both stress and elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and to promote physical and emotional endurance. My feeling is that if you're seeking to manage stress, breathing exercises and regular aerobic exercise are more important first steps. Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing and can even help with stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks to digestive disorders. However, some practitioners tell me that they see good results with holy basil in combination with lifestyle modification and that this herb works quickly.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA346157/holy-basil-to-combat-stress.html
Report Spam   Logged

A smile is the beginning of peace.   Mother Teresa
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2011 08:22 am »

Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) is an herb native to India, where it is known as tulsi. It is sacred in the Hindu religious tradition and is regarded as one of the most important plants used in Ayurvedic medicine. If you go to India, you will see holy basil growing in profusion around Hindu temples. It comes in red and green varieties, both with a strong, pleasant aroma. More clove-like than that of culinary basil, holy basil has been used for centuries to treat a variety of medical conditions including heart problems, asthma, bronchitis, arthritis and eye disorders. Although historically it hasn't been used for cooking, some American cooks have begun to experiment with it.

Related Weil Products
Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor for Your Personal Care - Thousands of people have benefited from Dr. Weil's nutritional supplement recommendations, designed to complement your lifestyle and optimize your health. Learn more, and get your free, personalized Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor Recommendation today.
In the past decade or so a number of scientific studies have looked at holy basil for various treatment purposes. All of these studies have been done in animals, usually laboratory mice and rats, so we can't be certain that results will translate to humans. Findings from these various investigations suggest that holy basil might have some effects as a painkiller, a COX-II anti-inflammatory agent, an antioxidant, and as a treatment for bacterial, fungal and even viral infections. There is also evidence (again, only from animal studies) that holy basil might help control blood sugar.

The most compelling evidence I've reviewed indicates that holy basil may help counteract the effects of stress. In fact, preparations made from holy basil are widely used to treat stress-related health problems in India and elsewhere. One study, published in 1991 in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology, compared holy basil to Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) and Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) and found that holy basil was the most potent anti-stress agent of the three, and also had the highest margin of safety. However, this study, as well as a dozen others I found in a search of the medical literature, was conducted in laboratory animals, not humans.

I know that holy basil is being promoted as a treatment for reducing both stress and elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and to promote physical and emotional endurance. My feeling is that if you're seeking to manage stress, breathing exercises and regular aerobic exercise are more important first steps. Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing and can even help with stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks to digestive disorders. However, some practitioners tell me that they see good results with holy basil in combination with lifestyle modification and that this herb works quickly.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

i noticed that Amma has Holy Basil for sale at most of her events. i wonder about the benefits of Ginseng though; does it's use spike the blood pressure? Thanks for the description Eric and thanks for all the added info Serena.

S>
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2011 08:27 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2011 10:41 am »

Related Weil Products

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Hi Serena thanks for this helpful article. Holy Basil and the tulsi plant r the same thing. They seem to have a soothing affect on stress. No wonder both the Amma's have them around when they tour and quite often for sale. i would like to have one in the store where i work.

Jitendra
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: