Spiritual Portal
Aug 19, 2019 09:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Steve Hydonus' music on MySpace!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Social Networking can tend to erode our real life social skills.

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: tides2dust

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: tides2dust

Views: 2
Comments (0)
By: Steve Hydonus

Views: 4
Comments (0)
By: Steve Hydonus
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Social Networking can tend to erode our real life social skills.  (Read 66 times)
Serena Duvet

In silence and stillness, I find peace.

« on: Sep 23, 2011 10:51 am »

Social Networking can tend to erode our real life social skills.  A new book called Alone Together by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology in the Program in Science, Technology, and Society, Sherry Turkle, purports that social networks are more like mutual isolation networks that detach people from meaningful interactions with one another.

Turkle’s thesis is simple: Technology can dominate our lives and make us less human. Under the illusion of allowing us to communicate better, it is actually isolating us from real human interactions in a cyber-reality that is a poor imitation of the real world.  She is not alone on this topic; there is a growing body of work by researchers of human behavior.

Is it not surprising that for many of us who isolate ourselves in the virtual world that the real world can seem overwhelming?  The more we disengage the harder it is to re-engage.  Sometimes we're comfortable not looking people in the eyes when they speak. Reading the cues of a tone of voice, body language or facial expression is a skill that some younger people aren't learning how to do. When we use our fingers to type these posts we hope that we have enough vocabulary to type what we mean and not be misunderstood...

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011 10:54 am by Serena Duvet » Report Spam   Logged

A smile is the beginning of peace.   Mother Teresa
tides2dust
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2011 11:38 pm »

so true and really cool picture ! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

peace ~ <3
Serena Duvet

In silence and stillness, I find peace.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011 12:11 am »

Yes, littlerain...

For myself, the words are true.. not about the eyes, I love being with people!  But I like to write and

and post beautiful pictures and correspond with people that are afar... why not?  But as someone who

lives alone, I can get literally caught up with the internet in one way or another for hours without an

interruption... as social an animal as I am, I have become neglectful in various aspects of my life,

as my hungry eyes roam cyberspace, researching whatever the latest thing is... lately it's working on

stopping cancer ~ my adopted sister Michele has ovarian cancer.

Serena

Sugar Magnolia

Report Spam   Logged

A smile is the beginning of peace.   Mother Teresa
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2011 09:36 pm »

Social Networking can tend to erode our real life social skills.  A new book called Alone Together by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology in the Program in Science, Technology, and Society, Sherry Turkle, purports that social networks are more like mutual isolation networks that detach people from meaningful interactions with one another.

Turkle’s thesis is simple: Technology can dominate our lives and make us less human. Under the illusion of allowing us to communicate better, it is actually isolating us from real human interactions in a cyber-reality that is a poor imitation of the real world.  She is not alone on this topic; there is a growing body of work by researchers of human behavior.

Is it not surprising that for many of us who isolate ourselves in the virtual world that the real world can seem overwhelming?  The more we disengage the harder it is to re-engage.  Sometimes we're comfortable not looking people in the eyes when they speak. Reading the cues of a tone of voice, body language or facial expression is a skill that some younger people aren't learning how to do. When we use our fingers to type these posts we hope that we have enough vocabulary to type what we mean and not be misunderstood...

Woow Serensa sooo true! This could not be more timely! Recently i had a relationship with someone over the internet for 3 years who i never met. It would have helped so much if that would have happened. 'social networks are more like mutual isolation networks that detach people from meaningful interactions with one another'. By the time we had a chance to meet things looked like they never happened in the first place. It is not that i have stopped caring, however, people can imagine all kinds of things on the internet and thru social networking but if you do not get together it can be just a fantasy. It can turn what could have been a wonderful relationship into all kinds of misunderstandings and confusions. By the time your through everything can appear so different. Then you wonder how can you start all over again when the circumstances have changed and the feelings involved and still you have not even met.

When people get together the visual cues and social interaction reveal different unforeseen dimensions in relating. If  we had a chance to do it again it would be so different but we live and learn. What was then is now and we move forward into the future. i think that people have acts of omissions when they are in this medium and do not meet and interact face to face. Even then (face to face) there are misunderstandings but we can gain so much more by being in the aura of someone in person. Sometimes you let things go to accommodate someone else but eventually you learn that your own concerns are valid. It is best to stay with your intuition and follow it. Yet we should be grateful in all our encounters painful or joyful in nature. We cannot control the actions and feelings of others. We can only control our own. It is best not to be reactive but loving in all circumstances. In the process we outgrow old karmic patterns.

i was fortunate to have met someone else on the internet that i was able to spend time with. That increased our understanding together and made for a longer lasting relationship.

i think what was great about us (you and i) is that we met first and then communicated on the internet. We each went thru challenging times in person and helped each other out in the process. There was a bond of helping one another. i am grateful for that.

If by chance the person that i refer to in this entry reads this; i do not mean to make this into a drama the thread just gave me a way of responding and to let you know i send you love and prayers.

Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011 05:52 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevehydonus
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus https://myspace.com/stevehydonus/music/songs<br />http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/  (Personal website)<br />email:ombabaji@hotmail.com (For CD\'s
yoshi

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2011 01:29 pm »

i bet guruji's opinion or any masters opinion would / may differ.   Smiley

(((Love&Hugs&om)))
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2011 01:30 pm by yoshi » Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: