Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 01:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Body Consciousness

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Body Consciousness  (Read 355 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Nov 15, 2011 04:20 am »

What is body consciousness? In the SRF lessons we read that it is true that no sensually uncontrolled person has ever realized God and this pertains to all the senses. We can b uncontrolled eaters, sex addicts, drinkers, uncontrolled dependence on others for survival, accustomed to a high standard of living or smokers as examples of being sensually uncontrolled. Often we alternate between different kinds of sensual addictions.

It is important to realize that that each human being draws friends according to the sum total of his or her mental tendencies accumulated as effects of present and past acts. Like attracts Like and those things we react most strongly about are often our strongest weaknesses. This a condition called projection in psychology. The weakness is seen as coming from an outside source; another person. Many Christian ministers and politicians have preached strongly about things that they themselves have later been found guilty of.

The purpose of Yoga is to bring body, mind and senses under the control of the Self or soul. Because the sexual instinct is one of the strongest instincts in man, second only to self-preservation, it is the force that most tenaciously ties man to body-consciousness. Moderation, with the cultivation of love uppermost in the consciousness should be the goal of those who unite themselves before God... SRF talks about making a life towards fulfillment, one for the other in a marriage and it is stated in the lessons that 'any more toward greater self-control or abstinence should only be made with the natural readiness and consent of both partners'. The yogis recognized this and therefore, urged control--sublimation, not suppression-- as one means of attaining soul-freedom.

SRF states that 'the wise and controlled use of Nature's creative force-- for the propagation of children or the expression of love, one for the other.... can be a beautiful expression of divine love. SRF states; "When you come together, feel that you have met your companion after ages of separation. Then mingle with your whole heart, attention and respect.

This quote is also from the SRF teachings: ' There are many things taught in the scriptures that express ways to find God more quickly. Christ said, "Go and sell all that you have and give it to the poor." We do not believe, however, that God has shut the gates of heaven upon all who have not literally observed this injunction. The real secret of Christ's counsel lies in inner renunciation, being nonpossessed by possessions which keep the consciousness tied to this world. In the same way, some yoga treatises stress continence as a means  for liberating the soul from body-consciousness. But here again, it is a matter of inner attitude. Meditation, as taught in the Self Realization Fellowship yoga techniques, so uplifts the consciousness that man ceases to be a purely sensual being; he does not cease to use and enjoy his senses, but he does cease to abuse them. Sexual abuse is that which is to be avoided.'

Sometimes we r able to observe this kind of sexual abuse happening in persons that have indulged heavily and then preached and practiced celibacy in an opposite swing in behavior. This is not balance but is indicative of a kind of bi-polarity that one recognizes in themselves after years of yoga practice; Manifesting as both over indulgence followed by satiety. It is important for us to remember that often we read books (while being inspirational) and try to live behavior that is/are unbalanced in approach to nature, ourselves and others.

There for, for me personally i find that we should not suppress our desires but rather witness them with the idea of always bringing our desire nature to higher levels of expression in our love for the divine. If we r mindful of our desires and body consciousness we will find over the years we have gained control and our expression becomes more and more loving in an expanding way that not only includes personal love but also a love for all humanity and ultimately a love for God that rises above body consciousness.

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011 07:02 am by **steve ~ hydonus** » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2011 12:36 pm »

Love that is confined to the body or the mind; This kind of love can change at a moments notice. ~Amma
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Sofia39

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011 11:00 am »

Mine is in the center of my head (behind my eyes) also. (Usually). But I do think this is habit and maybe a preference...but I can tell you that the times when my sense of self was "everywhere" with no specific location in the body, that was the best feeling of all. Also, I have felt the sense of self in the heart center at times...I actually do think it's a matter of which energy center is being focused on strongly (focus type). Mine is political.
My sense of self-ness changes and moves around depending on my state of consciousness and also maybe preferences or cultural conditioning.
I do think it is a matter of where one holds their attention the most strongly (habitually) and of course, this can be changed, so the sense of "identity" and self do change.

I have read accounts of some people who have had instantaneous awakenings where they seemed to then experience their sense of "self" not being in the body anymore--it was as if they were located a few feet behind the body, watching it and everything else that happened, and feeling that they were not authoring their experience or Doing anything but just watching everything happen, including what the body did. I do not think that this is the "ultimate" state or anything but it's one kind of experience that some people have (and for them it lasted)....it's fascinating to me. When I'm in the "watcher" state, I'm still merged with my body and watching it and everything from everywhere inside it, every cell and all of the senses and all of the spaces are located in the space of myself...I'm not somewhere behind the body--but that is one of the interesting possibilities, I guess!

Lastly...in the nondual Dzogchen and Advaita practices (and I'm sure you are aware of these ideas) there is the teaching that the Essence of who you really are does not change...always exists...and can be experienced but not in the ordinary way that things are experienced. This is not what I was talking about above (which is changeable.) This Essence IS everywhere and is not limited to the body. Actually the body-consciousness exists WITHIN this Essence-Space, not the Essence or Self existing in the body. I think what I was talking about above is more of a "cultural" sense of self that is based on being this body and it's perceptions and the reality that it creates...which interacts with other bodies....but the Essence self is actually everywhere and includes all--the whole universe and more--that is created by each of us as Essence.
Report Spam   Logged

Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011 12:15 am »

Mine is in the center of my head (behind my eyes) also. (Usually). But I do think this is habit and maybe a preference...but I can tell you that the times when my sense of self was "everywhere" with no specific location in the body, that was the best feeling of all. Also, I have felt the sense of self in the heart center at times...I actually do think it's a matter of which energy center is being focused on strongly (focus type). Mine is political.
My sense of self-ness changes and moves around depending on my state of consciousness and also maybe preferences or cultural conditioning.
I do think it is a matter of where one holds their attention the most strongly (habitually) and of course, this can be changed, so the sense of "identity" and self do change.

I have read accounts of some people who have had instantaneous awakenings where they seemed to then experience their sense of "self" not being in the body anymore--it was as if they were located a few feet behind the body, watching it and everything else that happened, and feeling that they were not authoring their experience or Doing anything but just watching everything happen, including what the body did. I do not think that this is the "ultimate" state or anything but it's one kind of experience that some people have (and for them it lasted)....it's fascinating to me. When I'm in the "watcher" state, I'm still merged with my body and watching it and everything from everywhere inside it, every cell and all of the senses and all of the spaces are located in the space of myself...I'm not somewhere behind the body--but that is one of the interesting possibilities, I guess!

Lastly...in the nondual Dzogchen and Advaita practices (and I'm sure you are aware of these ideas) there is the teaching that the Essence of who you really are does not change...always exists...and can be experienced but not in the ordinary way that things are experienced. This is not what I was talking about above (which is changeable.) This Essence IS everywhere and is not limited to the body. Actually the body-consciousness exists WITHIN this Essence-Space, not the Essence or Self existing in the body. I think what I was talking about above is more of a "cultural" sense of self that is based on being this body and it's perceptions and the reality that it creates...which interacts with other bodies....but the Essence self is actually everywhere and includes all--the whole universe and more--that is created by each of us as Essence.

i think our consciousness constantly changes in its locations. You call it essence. i have felt my consciousness in others as well. Felt their grief their sickness, their restlessness, their anger, their pain and their love and joy. Consciousness is a strange thing. It is not always as simple as it seems. One person can have sensual sensations in their body while meditating yet have love in their heart while engaging in the act of making love. We r much more aware of our bodies and their language when we get in touch with our soul. Yet we distance ourselves from body consciousness when we make initial contacts with our essence.

i like your description of the 'watcher state' It appeals to me as i have watched myself in that way. Watched the energy flow in my body and have been aware that people who profess one way r actually sending mixed messages to me. Which can b very confusing to the consciousness and the contacts we have with others. Most of us here r all working toward being spiritual magnets. Yet we must still acknowledge that we have very human feelings and sensations in the body and in our reactions to others. It is best to b honest about this and work with the energies in the best way we can in our present state of evolving consciousness.

i would add to your instantaneous awakenings, experiences that people have that involve the body and r combined with spiritual experiences. For instance fluctuations of the heart coupled with spiritual awareness or kundalini experiences coupled with euphoric states or opening of the heart coupled with tears of joy.

Jitendra

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2011 12:38 am by **steve ~ hydonus** » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2015 06:58 pm »

The donkey is famous for its stupidity and forgetfulness of the cause of its hurts if it falls into a mudhole it is likely to repeat the error as soon as it gets out. The sex addict is an example of the human donkey personality.
He makes the same mistake again and again. As the donkey  does not remember the cause of injuries
or punishments so the human sex addict forgets the evil effects of sex transgressions and does not just desist from sex errors, no matter how they weaken his health heart, brain  vitality and mental and moral courage. P.Y.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2015 07:00 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: