Spiritual Portal
Apr 19, 2024 10:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Favorite part of Autobiography of a Yogi

Recent Items

Views: 2
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 9
Comments (0)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite part of Autobiography of a Yogi  (Read 1359 times)
guest88
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2018 07:31 am »

After reading some more today I found myself sobbing uncontrollably, I haven't a clue where it came from, t was so sudden. I had intended to read just one chapter but the moment I read, "As a loyal Hindu wife, I do not wish to complain of my husband. But I yearn to see him turn from his materialistic views. He delights in ridiculing the pictures of saints in my meditation room. Dear brother, I have deep faith that you can help him. Will you?"
My eldest sister Roma gazed beseechingly at me.

Instantly I was pulled into this story and very curious to the struggles of Roma and her marriage. I think my rush of sadness was from my curiosity towards Roma. This is chapter 22
The Heart of a Stone Image

I think it was this description and onward that brought about a deep sorrow:
*A Hindu wife believes it is a form of spiritual advancement if she dies before her husband, as proof of her loyal service to him, or "dying in harness."

The thought came to me that my brother-in-law's life span would not be a long one. Roma must have read my mind.
"Dear brother," she said, "I am well, and my husband is sick. Nevertheless, I want you to know that, as a devoted Hindu wife, I am going to be the first one to die.* It won't be long before now before I pass on."
Taken aback by her ominous words, I yet realized their sting of truth. I was in America when my sister died, about eighteen months after her prediction. My youngest brother Bishnu later gave me the details.
"Roma and Satish(Roma's husband) were in Calcutta at the time of her death, Bishnu told me. "That morning she dressed herself in her bridal finery.
"'Why this special costume?' Satish inquired.
"'This is my last day of service to you on earth,' Roma replied. A short time later she had a heart attack. As her son was rushing out for aid, she said:
"'Son do not leave me. It is no use; I shall be gone before a doctor could arrive.' Ten minutes later, holding the feet of her husband in reverence, Roma consciously left her body, happily and without suffering.
"Satish became very reclusive after his wifes' death," Bishnu continued. "One day he and I were looking at a photograph of a smiling Roma.
"'Why do you smile?' Satish suddenly exclaimed, as though his wife were present. 'You think you were clever in arranging to go before me. I shall prove that you cannot long remain away from me; soon I shall join you.'
"Although at the time Satish had fully recovered from his sickness, and was enjoying excellent health, he died without apparent cause shortly after his strange remark before the photograph."
Thus prophetically passed both my beloved sister Roma and her husband Satish- he who had been transformed at Dakshineswar from an ordinary worldly man to a silent saint.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: