Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 02:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Favorite part of Autobiography of a Yogi

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite part of Autobiography of a Yogi  (Read 1333 times)
guest88
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2018 10:21 pm »

Hey Steve. I thought I was so smart starting this thread but I failed to state why I like the said part in the great book. The area this part is in the Materializing a Palace in the Himalayas chapter 34, the third page close to the bottom of the page.

Tigers howled nearby, but my heart was free from fear. I suppose that I like this part because by the grace of God I became fearless when I was eighteen I think. I had a spiritual experience before I finished reading Autobiography of a Yogi the first time I was reading it (I have total read it six times, I plan on read # 7 after I reveive Kriya initiation). Years before my spiritual experience as a young boy not even ten years old I drown and saw the other side. The good place. Because of these two blessings I became fearless, I try not to be egotistical about it.

I found the story of how Lahiri Mahasaya met his angelic guru Babaji so majical. Even as I read AY the first time the story seemed so real. The part I mentioned was one of the parts that just stood out to me. Autobiography of a Yogi is an incredible book. I never doubted any area of the book, not even once. Every time I read AY it motivated me to start back meditating. Time and time again I let the world beat me down. I thank God that nowadays because this little frog never gave up I have, in a sense, hopped out of the pail. I am starting to see the world as a dream. Without divine assistance such as my being led to AY and to actually read it I would not have begun to see the nature of human beings as holy. True union with spirit, as Yoga is, is a path that many continue to come to because of our beloved Autobiography of a Yogi.

Now that I think about it, this forum is for me divine assistance. There are other boards, good ones, including one that is huge, but for some reason this one for me is the most comfortable. I'll still wander the Web but this isn't a bad hang out at all. It is a church in a sense. There are certainly people who frequent this board who could make a good holy person, like a priest or priestess. We all learn from each other. Even if someone doesn't learn anything for years it helps to read from or participate with friends on the same path.

If anyone who reads this post has not read Autobiography of a Yogi I encourage you to do so. In addition to being a spiritual journey of true greatness there is adventure as well as a little humor. Taking it one step further, if one were to read Autobiography of a Yogi and then take Self-Realization Fellowship Lessons and practice then for 100 days that person would know for certain there is a God. Very rarely in todays world can a person be offered proof of the devine power. Reading the mentioned spiritual classic is the first step. I wish you the best my friends.

9 Years later I am fond of this post and thank you for your contributions! Time is a peculiar concept. I hope we are blessed with the radiance of the gold wolf again, even if he is just peeking over the hilltop or quietly roaming these fields at night.
Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2018 05:04 am »

While I am not yet finished with the book, and feel I must go back to particular chapters to comprehend the nature of a spiritual reality better- I have found this line by the Levitating Saint quite humorous and profoundly deep for any of those who walk the path....

“Master, you are wonderful!” A student, taking his leave, gazed ardently at the patriarchal sage. “You have renounced riches and comforts to seek God and teach us wisdom!” It was well-known that Bhaduri Mahasaya had forsaken great family wealth in his early childhood, when single-mindedly he entered the yogic path.

“You are reversing the case!” The saint’s face held a mild rebuke. “I have left a few paltry rupees, a few petty pleasures, for a cosmic empire of endless bliss. How then have I denied myself anything? I know the joy of sharing the treasure. Is that a sacrifice? The shortsighted worldly folk are verily the real renunciates! They relinquish an unparalleled divine possession for a poor handful of earthly toys!”

I am also reminded of this line from Two Penniless Boys in Brindaban where Yogananda is put to the test by his brother Ananta
"You well know, Ananta, I seek my inheritance from the Heavenly Father."
"Money first! God can come later! Who knows? Life may be too long."
"God first! money is His slave! Who can tell? Life may be too short."

....._^_ <3<3<3 Yes, this book is a blessing which I hope to keep close to my heart.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2018 07:31 am »

After reading some more today I found myself sobbing uncontrollably, I haven't a clue where it came from, t was so sudden. I had intended to read just one chapter but the moment I read, "As a loyal Hindu wife, I do not wish to complain of my husband. But I yearn to see him turn from his materialistic views. He delights in ridiculing the pictures of saints in my meditation room. Dear brother, I have deep faith that you can help him. Will you?"
My eldest sister Roma gazed beseechingly at me.

Instantly I was pulled into this story and very curious to the struggles of Roma and her marriage. I think my rush of sadness was from my curiosity towards Roma. This is chapter 22
The Heart of a Stone Image

I think it was this description and onward that brought about a deep sorrow:
*A Hindu wife believes it is a form of spiritual advancement if she dies before her husband, as proof of her loyal service to him, or "dying in harness."

The thought came to me that my brother-in-law's life span would not be a long one. Roma must have read my mind.
"Dear brother," she said, "I am well, and my husband is sick. Nevertheless, I want you to know that, as a devoted Hindu wife, I am going to be the first one to die.* It won't be long before now before I pass on."
Taken aback by her ominous words, I yet realized their sting of truth. I was in America when my sister died, about eighteen months after her prediction. My youngest brother Bishnu later gave me the details.
"Roma and Satish(Roma's husband) were in Calcutta at the time of her death, Bishnu told me. "That morning she dressed herself in her bridal finery.
"'Why this special costume?' Satish inquired.
"'This is my last day of service to you on earth,' Roma replied. A short time later she had a heart attack. As her son was rushing out for aid, she said:
"'Son do not leave me. It is no use; I shall be gone before a doctor could arrive.' Ten minutes later, holding the feet of her husband in reverence, Roma consciously left her body, happily and without suffering.
"Satish became very reclusive after his wifes' death," Bishnu continued. "One day he and I were looking at a photograph of a smiling Roma.
"'Why do you smile?' Satish suddenly exclaimed, as though his wife were present. 'You think you were clever in arranging to go before me. I shall prove that you cannot long remain away from me; soon I shall join you.'
"Although at the time Satish had fully recovered from his sickness, and was enjoying excellent health, he died without apparent cause shortly after his strange remark before the photograph."
Thus prophetically passed both my beloved sister Roma and her husband Satish- he who had been transformed at Dakshineswar from an ordinary worldly man to a silent saint.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2018 08:22 pm »

"Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever widening thought and action;
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake!"

Rabindranath Tagore
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2018 07:50 am »

I am beginning to understand a new appreciation I hold for this book, which is Yogananda's accounts with spiritual masters. There are many Guru's in this book and some have photo's. It's great to reference even if you've finished the book, whenever you want, just open a chapter and there's a real gold. What a beautiful Soul and superb writing skills....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: