Spiritual Portal
Apr 20, 2024 06:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Why are yogis/yoginis Vegetarian?

Recent Items

Views: 3
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 9
Comments (0)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are yogis/yoginis Vegetarian?  (Read 1189 times)
mccoy
Administrator

« on: Apr 18, 2015 12:43 am »

Eric, good to know your sister is a geophysicist, that's pretty close to what I do!!

I read the link you provided. One important animal-derived food they did not mention explicitly, but it is implied all around that article. The food is: bullshit.
Most things they say is contrary to my (and Steve's) direct experience, also contrary to modern dietary science.
There are more and more conventional doctors that are convinced that meat is a cancer-producing food.
The article really sounds like a very biased one.
When I was 30 years younger I used to pump iron. I pumped so much Iron that I looked like Rambo.
People used to ask me what I ate and when I told them that I was vegetarian they didn't believe me, because they ate meat and they were far, far less impressive than I was. I didn't took steroids nor hormones.
I remember it was the days of the omega-3 fad. The gym owner, a professional bodybuilder, asked me how would I take in the necessary omega threes. Actually, i never worried about omega 3s but I answered him that I ate brazilian nuts, since they have this fishy smell.
Recently, I heard a well researched report that most nuts and many vegetable foods contain substantial doses of omega 3s.

I wasn't a vegan, I ate liberal amounts of dairy products and when I worked out heavily I ate up to 10 raw egg yolks as a snack.

Today I don't work out, I eat very little dairy products, no eggs, lots of fruits and vegetables and nuts and a little cereals.
My brain luckily doesn't seem to have degenerated, I sure couldn't do the work I'm doing with a brain dulled by lack of meat., my job implies heavy conceptualization and abstraction, like the job your sister does.
What I found instead is that my father, who was a huge meat eater, started to display signs of mental degeneration very early, around the age of 50. He later developed heart problems which almost killed him, because he wouldn't go to doctors. Had he had a more natural diet he probably would be still doing heavy work today, at 90.

B12 is no probs with dairy products and since many eastern populations do not eat dairy products nor eggs but lots of soy products, evidently, like Steve says, it is enough, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people in China and South east Asia.

My bottom line: meat and fish are absolutely unnecessary to human beings.
Hi quality Dairy products and organic eggs are healthy and necessary to many people
A vegan diet is possible if you can eat enough food and can digest beans, soybeans and soy products. you should also study nutrition, otherwise it may be dangerous. Presently I eat little and can only digest small amounts of beans, so I avoid a vegan diet. although 90% of my diet is actually vegan.
At a certain age, past 50, proteins are needed in very small amounts (unless we practice hard labour or heavy physical activity). Meat eaters older than 50 are almost inevitably intoxicating themselves and jeopardizing their physical and mental health.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: