Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 02:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Why are yogis/yoginis Vegetarian?

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are yogis/yoginis Vegetarian?  (Read 1166 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Dec 06, 2012 07:51 pm »

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?

No! We eat grass ass back crackers!  Grin

Why Are Yogis Vegetarian?

Last week our resident yoga expert Cynthia Drake looked at yoga for pregnant women. This week she asks 'why are yogis vegetarians?'

Why are yogis vegetarians? I could easily answer, because it's easier to clean up in the kitchen after cooking. No animal grease coating on the walls and other surfaces after a fry up.  No use for strong detergents for pots and pans.  No scouring at all, really this is true, unless you happen to burn the rice or something. There is also a huge decrease in the use value of gigantic cleavers, which are in any case awkward to store if you have a small kitchen.

Clearly a yogic diet leads to reduced hypertension. That same sticky grease that makes cleaning up in the kitchen difficult behaves the same way when it is metabolised. More than a nuisance to arteries, animal fats literally clog them. This explains why some health conscious people resort to meals of boneless skinless chicken, however vegetarian is considered by vegetarians to be even better. Although it used to be thought impossible, it has been proven that a yogic diet leads to a reversal of heart and cardio-vascular diseases. It doesn't just prevent them and so can be taken up at any time.

Yogis tend to go in more for the grains and veggies, beans and fruits. These foods are more than easy to clean up after. They are also optimal for building strength. There is also the great taste variety that healthy foods naturally offer without being spiced or added to.

If you ask someone who is ill if they think there is something that might have prevented their illness, it will often be that they mention something they ate. Fats, sugars and high animal product content in the diet cause physiological tension throughout the body as they cause digestive havoc.

Many people know that they should have improved their diet long ago, but don't get around to it unless it catches up with them in painful or near fatal ways; ulcers, arthritis, heart failure, stroke etc. Digesting meat creates a lot of acid in the stomach. The body can't find a way to throw these acids off and so they get deposited in the joints. This is one of the many reasons why doctors and nutritionists caution against high levels of meat consumption and explains why yogis, who like to be flexible and tend not to get arthritis, are vegetarian. A life of proper diet and proper exercise greatly reduces the risk of arthritis developing. An accumulation of poor movement habits and a diet which causes too much acid in the system greatly increases the risk.

One of the other main reasons a yogi wants a vegetarian diet is the aim to lead a life that is free of cruelty. This means not needing veal crates or cooped up chickens, and less worry about feeding the world population since a vegetarian diet takes less acreage per capita than an animal based diet.

Light meals are in general more comfortable for movement. For many people this makes the yoga postures easier. Light meals are easiest to arrange when using lots of fresh produce.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2012 08:45 pm by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2015 08:44 pm »

"Ramana Maharshi also had a wonderful relationship with animals. Many wild animals such as Tigers and snakes roamed the mountain side but the Maharishi never showed any signs of fear and often befriended animals who came in contact with him. A disciple recorded that on one instance a black cobra entered a hut where the Maharshi was staying, the snake stopped and stared into the eyes of Ramana, after a while the snake retreated. A realized soul maintains a close oneness with all of God’s creation and this compassion can sensed by the animals themselves. The ability to befriend animals is somewhat reminiscent of St Francis of Assissi who had a similar touch with animals."  From Richard Pettinger.

I remember once seeing a large Blue Racer the snake also stopped and stared at me until i finally left it.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2015 08:46 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2015 12:17 am »

The change in my health when I switched from a carnivorous and unbalanced diet to a vegetarian balanced one was dramatic.

I was 16, and had a cronic cold, plus frequent fever and other mishaps. Suddenly, I decided my diet was not a good one. My family stressed the consumption of meat, fried food, sweets, little fresh fruit and vegetables. I reversed all that. In 6 months I was cured from chronic cold, which no medicines could cure. I enjoyed perfect health, did not get ill at all even though I started to practice extreme titikhsa, endurance to cold weather (and hot weather in the summer).

All it took was eliminating fish meat and fish, eliminating refined cereals, substituting honey and unrefined sugar to White sugar, eating plenty of fresh fruits, nuts and fresh and cooked vegetables. I also practiced hydroterapy, with application of cold water.

I got ill a few years later though when I went to the extremes. Cycles of fasting and overeating, extreme raw vegan diet. The Prana in my body was drained away.

Yoga is the path of moderation and discrimination.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2015 12:18 am by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2015 03:52 am »

my sister is going on being a vegetarian for almost 10 years now. she is a geophysicist and part time nutritionist. she thought learning about nutrition would ensure she would be securing a proper vegetarian diet, eating all the right foods and proteins.
after a recent doctor visit she was informed that if she continued to be a vegetarian long term that she may develop mental deficiencies because of a lack of certain nutrients found only in meat, fish and eggs.

read on here http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/

believe it or not there are yogis that eat meat, even raw meat.
i do not believe being vegetarian it is a standard that must be met in order to achieve something greater

i'm taking away from the original thread too, if you need to create a separate space for this topic feel free to do so...
the problem for me is the lack of compassion, tolerance and respect in the way we mass produce foods

we may not even be the smartest species on this planet.... we're pretty damn ingenious though

the planet has much to teach us... i realize my beliefs differ dramatically to some of us here.
just my opinions.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2015 06:13 am »

my sister is going on being a vegetarian for almost 10 years now. she is a geophysicist and part time nutritionist. she thought learning about nutrition would ensure she would be securing a proper vegetarian diet, eating all the right foods and proteins.
after a recent doctor visit she was informed that if she continued to be a vegetarian long term that she may develop mental deficiencies because of a lack of certain nutrients found only in meat, fish and eggs.

read on here http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/

believe it or not there are yogis that eat meat, even raw meat.
i do not believe being vegetarian it is a standard that must be met in order to achieve something greater

i'm taking away from the original thread too, if you need to create a separate space for this topic feel free to do so...
the problem for me is the lack of compassion, tolerance and respect in the way we mass produce foods

we may not even be the smartest species on this planet.... we're pretty damn ingenious though

the planet has much to teach us... i realize my beliefs differ dramatically to some of us here.
just my opinions.

Eric did she ask the doctor if he ate meat and enjoyed it? .... perhaps he had become so aggressive from eating meat that he scared her! It sounds more likely that she acquired mental abilities from being vegetarian since she became a geophysicist!

I was told these type of things since i was very young when i became a vegetarian. Fortunately i did not listen to such ignorance and remained healthy when many eating meat have died off. These people have nothing but WRONG advice. Ofcourse you may notice that I have mental deficiencies. Thank God for those deficiencies they were just to much mental baggage that weighed me down.

And by the way... if it is vitamin B 12 you are after it is found in: soy beans, soy products, eggs and dairy products including nuts, lentils and beans and soya and synthetic forms are widely available and added to many foods like fortified cereals .Light Plain Soymilk contains (50% DV) of Vitamin B12 per cup drinks. Vitamin B12 is also found in yeast, mushrooms and seaweed. So don't let an ignorant Doctor tell you otherwise! Forget the meat!!!! Save the animal that can feed you! I'm a vegetarian and get more than 100% daily needed vitamin B 12.

Love you friend,

Steve
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015 11:45 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2015 11:54 am »

Why yogis don’t eat meat –
Posted by shanmugananda

Meat contains a high percentage of toxins.
It lacks vital minerals and vitamins.
Meat contains more proteins than we need.
Animal protein contains too much uric acid. When consumed in high quantities,
the uric acid cannot be eliminated properly and is deposited in the joints. The
result: stiffening of the joints, gout, rheumatism, headaches, cramps and
nervousness.
Meat can be infested with dangerous pathogens such as trichinae and
intestinal worms.
Ahimsa, or non-violence, is one of the highest tenets of yoga philosophy.
For the yogi all life is sacred. Every creature is a living, breathing entity
with thoughts and feelings.
A yogi knows that when a person consumes meat, they are also absorbing the
fear and pain of the slaughtered animal. Hence they will have a more difficult
time gaining control over their emotions.- Sri Swami Sivananda

https://teachingsofmasters.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/why-yogis-dont-eat-meatWhy Are All Yogis Vegans?

Why are so many yogis vegetarian?

The Answer

In yoga practice Ahimsa is one of five of Patanjali’s Yamas, or restraints, that help make up the classical meaning of yoga. Simply, Ahimsa translates to the absence of violence. For different people, this word means different things (eliminating physical violence, or self-shaming, or emotional hate, for example), but for others, it literally means no killing and no harming, helping them to bring a specific meaning onto their plates and into their bellies./

Remember: when you eat meat you willingly let someone chop the head off an animal.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015 12:18 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2015 12:43 am »

Eric, good to know your sister is a geophysicist, that's pretty close to what I do!!

I read the link you provided. One important animal-derived food they did not mention explicitly, but it is implied all around that article. The food is: bullshit.
Most things they say is contrary to my (and Steve's) direct experience, also contrary to modern dietary science.
There are more and more conventional doctors that are convinced that meat is a cancer-producing food.
The article really sounds like a very biased one.
When I was 30 years younger I used to pump iron. I pumped so much Iron that I looked like Rambo.
People used to ask me what I ate and when I told them that I was vegetarian they didn't believe me, because they ate meat and they were far, far less impressive than I was. I didn't took steroids nor hormones.
I remember it was the days of the omega-3 fad. The gym owner, a professional bodybuilder, asked me how would I take in the necessary omega threes. Actually, i never worried about omega 3s but I answered him that I ate brazilian nuts, since they have this fishy smell.
Recently, I heard a well researched report that most nuts and many vegetable foods contain substantial doses of omega 3s.

I wasn't a vegan, I ate liberal amounts of dairy products and when I worked out heavily I ate up to 10 raw egg yolks as a snack.

Today I don't work out, I eat very little dairy products, no eggs, lots of fruits and vegetables and nuts and a little cereals.
My brain luckily doesn't seem to have degenerated, I sure couldn't do the work I'm doing with a brain dulled by lack of meat., my job implies heavy conceptualization and abstraction, like the job your sister does.
What I found instead is that my father, who was a huge meat eater, started to display signs of mental degeneration very early, around the age of 50. He later developed heart problems which almost killed him, because he wouldn't go to doctors. Had he had a more natural diet he probably would be still doing heavy work today, at 90.

B12 is no probs with dairy products and since many eastern populations do not eat dairy products nor eggs but lots of soy products, evidently, like Steve says, it is enough, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people in China and South east Asia.

My bottom line: meat and fish are absolutely unnecessary to human beings.
Hi quality Dairy products and organic eggs are healthy and necessary to many people
A vegan diet is possible if you can eat enough food and can digest beans, soybeans and soy products. you should also study nutrition, otherwise it may be dangerous. Presently I eat little and can only digest small amounts of beans, so I avoid a vegan diet. although 90% of my diet is actually vegan.
At a certain age, past 50, proteins are needed in very small amounts (unless we practice hard labour or heavy physical activity). Meat eaters older than 50 are almost inevitably intoxicating themselves and jeopardizing their physical and mental health.
Report Spam   Logged
guest46
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015 11:05 am »

Some American people (from Texas I reckon) also tried to convince me that T-bone steaks are a vegetarian food, since the cattle often eats the best organic pasture grass available. I found that a fascinating line of thought. Are all Texans like that?

MCCOY@!!!! i love your texans friends comment.... being from tx i'm going to say YES, every form of life from texas is exactly like that  Smiley

kehehehehe ODDDDANGGG!!!!  Smiley Cheesy Grin Cheesy Smiley

Odey

You are man of imperturbable  distinctions. That is why you would make such a good addition to my horror films. i would come back from the grave to include you.   Tongue

What I have in mind is you playing the Lone Ranger. In this episode Tonto would be an obsessed vegetarian who dislikes sharing campfires with meat eaters. His unusual determination to stay away from meat eaters leads to the mysterious death of the Lone Ranger near a small village in central Texas. In this final episode it would be unclear as to who was the real outlaw-since Tonto sticks to his story that he had nothing to do with the mysterious death and that it was actually the Lone Rangers meat eating that led him to his own mysterious demise.

A glimpse into the world proves that horror is nothing other than reality. I have a feeling that deep inside you there is someone no one knows about.

Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015 02:01 pm »

Alfred, that sounds like a good plot indeed!
Report Spam   Logged
Beatrice Landcaster

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015 01:32 am »

You young  whipersnappers just don't make a pea eye worth of sense. There is nothing like possum stew  or catfish salad or crayfish soup.  I don't kill those buggers all I do is relieve them from an extended stay in their suffering on this here devils earth paradise. It's just the work of the devil living on this earth. That is what we a see a brewin' here. I give those critters a chance to revolve quickly. Revolve or evolve it makes no damn difference they'sa be gone and that's all they care about. Relieved from their misery.

Beatrice Landcaster 
Report Spam   Logged
Laila

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015 12:32 am »

Why are yogis vegetarian ?    Well, meditation spiritualizes us, and as we become more spiritualized we become more compassionate, and more loving to all of life.   Our consciousness goes beyond our own little egos and we start caring about others, and all of life which includes animal life.  We become more conscious, and therefore more thoughtful about where our food sources are coming from.   

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "I care not for a man's religion if his dog and cat are not the better for it".    I would extend that to include all animals we interact with …. which includes the animals we use as our food sources.     

Here are two videos which I just posted on the other board, which show how we are duped into complacency by the false advertising of Big Ag.   I know many SRFers are vegetarian, but if you're still eating eggs and dairy, it's important to be aware of false labelling.  Apparently  "Free Range" is not all it's cracked up to be ……. !

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015 09:32 pm »

Dear one

I was not able to get these videos working with telephone internet so I will have to wait till I am at a computer. i have already decided to forgo buying eggs and dairy products unless they are from a farm that i am familiar with their treatment of animals. The only time i buy any dairy products is on the road or at a restaurant where i am limited to food choices and I usually avoid such places when possible.

Why are yogis vegetarian ?    Well, meditation spiritualizes us, and as we become more spiritualized we become more compassionate, and more loving to all of life.   Our consciousness goes beyond our own little egos and we start caring about others, and all of life which includes animal life.  We become more conscious, and therefore more thoughtful about where our food sources are coming from.   

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "I care not for a man's religion if his dog and cat are not the better for it".    I would extend that to include all animals we interact with …. which includes the animals we use as our food sources.     

Here are two videos which I just posted on the other board, which show how we are duped into complacency by the false advertising of Big Ag.   I know many SRFers are vegetarian, but if you're still eating eggs and dairy, it's important to be aware of false labelling.  Apparently  "Free Range" is not all it's cracked up to be ……. !

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015 09:35 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Laila

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015 12:54 am »

Pranams to you, Steve !!!

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015 01:04 am »

I can understand how the glutinous and grotesque ways in which our current market handles, creates and mass produces our nourishment would cause most any rational human to want to be vegetarian. Does there need to be a change within these systems? Absolutely. We, as in people of the United States and probably people of other similarly "advanced" countries, don't reflect a spiritual understanding or compassion to life when it comes to mass production regardless if that life is an animal, plant, or the environment itself.

I also understand that a yogi would want to practice vegetarianism for this very reason. From an outside perspective, it would seem this practice resonates with the individual and that the individual hopes to promote awareness and change for the better. So yes, I agree you can cultivate compassion through exercising a moral decision or belief.

I don't agree however, that being vegetarian makes one more spiritually attuned then a non-vegetarian. To think of the countless tribes that exist to this day, where little is known about their existence, who preserve humanity and commune with nature deeper then your every day millennial. Their structures, which are emerging in documentaries and other unpopular sources eat meat but do so with reverence. We are all human. To say we are more advanced then a native tribe is perspective. What happens when our own advances as a society collapse? Who is better off then?

The shaman, hunter, gatherer, these are people who understand the laws of nature more so then I. Their respect for the natural world has cultivated a deep spirituality in their community and in themselves. I don't have the answer to the original question of this thread other then to speculate that practicing being vegetarian is a way to deepen ones own spirituality but I wanted to comment that simply being vegetarian does not make one person more spiritual then the other.

Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015 09:42 am »

...but I wanted to comment that simply being vegetarian does not make one person more spiritual then the other.

Of course not, Oddang, I agree, vegetarianism is sometimes a consequence of a spiritual Outlook, sure not a cause.
Although a fit body may improve mental fitness, it is told.

I turned veggie for health reasons, not for spiritual reasons. I suddenly realized that meat was the wrong food for me and my health improved dramatically when I switched.

I also remember I loved fishing but eventually quit to catch and eat fish because I couldn't stand the expression of the eyes of the dying fish. That fish did nothing to me and I did not really need it for survival.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: