Spiritual Portal
Dec 08, 2019 05:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Daze of Heaven's new album: World Color

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The U.S. Mentality

Recent Items

Views: 3
Comments (0)
By: kingfisher111

Views: 3
Comments (0)

Views: 8
Comments (2)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
By: tides2dust
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The U.S. Mentality  (Read 148 times)
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Dec 09, 2012 04:27 am »

just a gentle consideration...
I understand the observation on the "masses" in the 'western world' that are 'materially centric'...

of the United States of America, and some nearby countries...
it is in my heart to emphasis that it remains a very real 'melting pot' of human beings from nearly every culture,
and a land of relative freedom of expression,
that includes religious expression.

(of course, there are 'predominant' or 'majority' trends within the U.S.A, but the key is the heart of freedom, liberty,and basic platform for dignity... there is the potential for this land to hold many great rishis...  just as ancient (and modern) India...

again, not at all disagreeing -- and really agreeing,... just wanted to share an emphasis as the western yogi born in this land...

i do not think that most Amercans can honestly know how much they have been brainwashed by terms such as 'freedom'
'liberty' and basic platform for 'dignity'. Sorry Namaste2All ; i want to tell you first of all that in Europe you can walk across the countries nude here in the United States you would be put in prison. Similarly in many other countries in Europe you would not be imprisoned for  simple marijuana usage like you would in the United States. In the United States more people are thrown into jail for trying to find a place to live then probably most countries in the world. I see more policemen 'harrasing' the homeless and those begging for food and money than any other offence except speeding tickets.These things take place because of the moral conditioning from the 'right'.

In the United States people beg on the corners everywhere because there is no respect for the 'dignity' of the individual.
In for instance the Scandinavian countries everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance.
There is just as much potential in many other countries. United States has no corner on spiritual wisdom. It is time we recognize that we as a country are very far behind in a spiritual sense and our culture is based on freedom and liberty, for the most part, to have and get and to take. i will concede that our culture is a melting pot. Yet most people who come to our country do not do so for spiritual reasons but rather material reasons.

Perhaps it is time to look at the terms liberty, freedom and dignity and to get a clear idea of what they really  mean.

Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013 08:55 am by namaste2All » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevehydonus
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus https://myspace.com/stevehydonus/music/songs<br />http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/  (Personal website)<br />email:ombabaji@hotmail.com (For CD\'s
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2012 04:46 am »

sneaky, sneaky  Grin moving your reply to start a new topic !

Quote from:  steve hydonus/jitendra
on Today at 08:12:57 pm
i do not think that most Amercans can honestly know how much they have been brainwashed by terms such as 'freedom'
'liberty' and basic platform for 'dignity'. Sorry Namaste2All ; i want to tell you first of all that in Europe you can walk across the countries nude here in the United States you would be put in prison. Similarly in many other countries in Europe you would not be imprisoned for  simple marijuana usage like you would in the United States. In the United States more people are thrown into jail for trying to find a place to live then probably most countries in the world. I see more policemen 'harrasing' the homeless and those begging for food and money than any other offence except speeding tickets.These things take place because of the moral conditioning from the 'right'.

In the United States people beg on the corners everywhere because there is no respect for the 'dignity' of the individual.
In for instance the Scandinavian countries everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance.
There is just as much potential in many other countries. United States has no corner on spiritual wisdom. It is time we recognize that we as a country are very far behind in a spiritual sense and our culture is based on freedom and liberty, for the most part, to have and get and to take. i will concede that our culture is a melting pot. Yet most people who come to our country do not do so for spiritual reasons but rather material reasons.

Perhaps it is time to look at the terms liberty, freedom and dignity and to get a clear idea of what they really  mean.

Steve Hydonus

Wow, what freedoms, lol, to walk nude and smoke marijuana ! LOL  come on now ... are these high priorities in your life ? 
Sometimes your logic, is way out there.

Sometimes one just takes for granted some of the freedoms one enjoys, ( and I am not talking of the ones you mentioned, walking nude and smoking marijuana ) unless one has lived for example in other countries less fortunate than the US. There are many countries where women have basically no rights.

"In for instance the Scandinavian countries everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance." And how do you know this is so ? Seems like a random generalization to me.

India may be a spiritual country, but life there is not perfect either . 

Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012 04:56 am »

Steve Hydonus

Wow, what freedoms, lol, to walk nude and smoke marijuana ! LOL  come on now ... are these high priorities in your life ? 

Sometimes one just takes for granted some of the freedoms one enjoys, ( and I am not talking of the ones you mentioned, walking nude and smoking marijuana ) unless one has lived for example in other countries less fortunate than the US. There are many countries where women have basically no rights.

"In for instance the Scandinavian countries everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance." And how do you know this is so ? Seems like a random generalization to me.

Boy you seem to crawl out of whole when things get spicy  Grin

You are missing my point these are not high priorities for me; they are high priorities for our culture to arrest such people since most of our prisoners are in jail for petty drug charges and the police spend their time with binoculers looking up and down remote beaches for nudists. There other hobby is keeping homeless people and hungry people away from more
well-to-do neighborhoods.

How do i know this to be so? i have met people from Canada and Scandinavia that cliam they are better off then the common person here in the states. Yes i do agree with you about the rights of women being much better in the States than many countries.

Sometimes people take it for granted that we (in the United States) live in the greatest country in the world. Think again.
It might be the mentality of arrogance. So my friend i ask; How is my logic way out there? Have you ever given thought to
the idea that you have been conditioned to believe certain things about our culture that make you think that anything to the contrary is wrong?

https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus https://myspace.com/stevehydonus/music/songs<br />http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/  (Personal website)<br />email:ombabaji@hotmail.com (For CD\'s
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012 05:08 am »

at least we have running water Grin
Yes we do it ran so fast that i had to go to the store to buy some to drink. Furthermore since you mentioned water... i have lived in two states most of my life. Michigan; where none of the major rivers are safe to swim in because of pollution and California; where the ocean itself is periodically 'closed' to swimming because of water pollution. Yes we have water alright. The question is where is it safe to drink and swim in?
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2012 05:35 am by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

tides2dust
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012 06:10 am »

we got plenty of natural ponds here in texas Cheesy hey i know where you're coming from(not completely but i see a point you're trying to make) to be honest i thought you were going to throw flouride into the mix :p but yeah we're privileged. hey why is it sometimes i hear people speak of spiritual and material like they're polar opposites ?
Report Spam   Logged

peace ~ <3
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012 08:20 am »

we got plenty of natural ponds here in texas Cheesy hey i know where you're coming from(not completely but i see a point you're trying to make) to be honest i thought you were going to throw flouride into the mix :p but yeah we're privileged. hey why is it sometimes i hear people speak of spiritual and material like they're polar opposites ?

i am not sure about the rest of the world but here in the states people give you the impression that spiritual things are unrealistic or impractical. Isn't it practical to have God on your mind? People say i don't have the time to meditate for a long
period of time but i bet they have time to go to a 3 hour movie or to go to a family reunion or get together four 3 hours.

The material life does not have to be separated from the spiritual life. Yet to be very involved in the material life is difficult to find spiritualiity. Not impossible. Just very difficult. i think that is why Jesus said: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2012 08:22 am by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012 10:26 am »

Steve Hydonus

You are missing my point these are not high priorities for me; they are high priorities for our culture to arrest such people since most of our prisoners are in jail for petty drug charges and the police spend their time with binoculers looking up and down remote beaches for nudists. There other hobby is keeping homeless people and hungry people away from more

If I am missing your point and these are not high priorities for you, why do you continue to bring up the same topics ? This isn't the first time I have heard these comments. It may not be high priority, but yes, there are arrests for drug users and for those who break certain laws. At first you were talking about ]" in Europe you can walk across the countries nude here in the United States you would be put in prison " and now you changed it to  " police spend their time with binoculers looking up and down remote beaches for nudists. "This is just the rebel in you, that you feel these are high priority.

How do i know this to be so? i have met people from Canada and Scandinavia that cliam they are better off then the common person here in the states. Yes i do agree with you about the rights of women being much better in the States than many countries.

Meeting a few people from Canada and Scandinavia and then making a blanket statement, saying  "everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance" doesn't mean it is so. Unless you personally talk to everyone, how do you know there aren't some people who don't have a place to live and food on the table? Perhaps they have less people in that category than the US.  

Sometimes people take it for granted that we (in the United States) live in the greatest country in the world. Think again.
It might be the mentality of arrogance. So my friend i ask; How is my logic way out there? Have you ever given thought to
the idea that you have been conditioned to believe certain things about our culture that make you think that anything to the contrary is wrong?

Even with the imperfections that one finds in the US, I would much rather live here than in some other countries. And this is not the mentality of arrogance.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013 08:56 am by namaste2All » Report Spam   Logged
yoshi

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012 02:59 pm »

ignorance is worldwide....less in some areas and more in others, like here in the U.S.

ignorance is everywhere...it's in the government... the judicial system....it's broadcasted thru television and radio....etc

waaaay to many laws....isnt that why jesus incarnated ??  and here we go again.....waaay to many laws being made out of IGNORANCE.  ignorance gotta control EVERYTHING.

what can we do about it ?  can't change the world, can we ?  
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2012 03:07 pm by yoshi » Report Spam   Logged

~*~*~*  Live in OM *~*~*~
~~~Swami Rama Tirtha ~~~
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012 06:48 pm »

'liberty' and basic platform for 'dignity'. Sorry Namaste2All ; i want to tell you first of all that in Europe you can walk across the countries nude here in the United States you would be put in prison. Similarly in many other countries in Europe you would not be imprisoned for  simple marijuana usage like you would in the United States. In the United States more people are thrown into jail for trying to find a place to live then probably most countries in the world. I see more policemen 'harrasing' Cheesy the homeless and those begging for food and money than any other offence except speeding tickets.These things take place because of the moral conditioning from the 'right'.

Steve Hydonus

If I am missing your point and these are not high priorities for you, why do you continue to bring up the same topics ? This isn't the first time I have heard these comments. It may not be high priority, but yes, there are arrests for drug users and for those who break certain laws. At first you were talking about ]" in Europe you can walk across the countries nude here in the United States you would be put in prison " and now you changed it to  " police spend their time with binoculers looking up and down remote beaches for nudists. "This is just the rebel in you, that you feel these are high priority.

Meeting a few people from Canada and Scandinavia and then making a blanket statement, saying  "everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance" doesn't mean it is so. Unless you personally talk to everyone, how do you know there aren't some people who don't have a place to live and food on the table? Perhaps they have less people in that category than the US.  

Even with the imperfections that one finds in the US, I would much rather live here than in some other countries. And this is not the mentality of arrogance.

Nitewish

i am not sure about the content but i love the color coordination
and the ability to superimpose your ideas and blend them with
mine. Your artistic management never siezes to impress me!
I do mean this sincerely   Grin  My mind seems to jjump a bit:
when the opportunity presents itself.  Cool

Sneaky Steve
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013 08:56 am by namaste2All » Report Spam   Logged

Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2012 06:57 pm »

Nitewish

when the opportunity presents itself.

Steve, thank you for the artistic compliment  Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2012 05:42 am by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2012 05:23 am »

'liberty' and basic platform for 'dignity'. Sorry Namaste2All ; i want to tell you first of all that in Europe you can walk across the countries nude here in the United States you would be put in prison. Similarly in many other countries in Europe you would not be imprisoned for  simple marijuana usage like you would in the United States. In the United States more people are thrown into jail for trying to find a place to live then probably most countries in the world. I see more policemen 'harrasing' Cheesy the homeless and those begging for food and money than any other offence except speeding tickets.These things take place because of the moral conditioning from the 'right'.

In the United States people beg on the corners everywhere because there is no respect for the 'dignity' of the individual. In for instance the Scandinavian countries everyone has a place to live, food on the table and health insurance.

Steve Hydonus

You are missing my point these are not high priorities for me; they are high priorities for our culture to arrest such people since most of our prisoners are in jail for petty drug charges and the police spend their time with binoculers looking up and down remote beaches for nudists. There other hobby is keeping homeless people and hungry people away from more well-to-do neighborhoods.

How do i know this to be so? i have met people from Canada and Scandinavia that claim they are better off then the common person here in the states. Yes i do agree with you about the rights of women being much better in the States than many countries.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nitewish

when the opportunity presents itself.  Cool

Sneaky Steve
[/quote]

Both the topics are related Nitewish. They both refer to nudity and i am comparing two different set of ethics.The U.S. mentality of puritanical Christian views as opposed to a more natural approach by the Europeans.

Yes i do think it is arrogance to assume that we are the greatest country in the world, as many people in this country believe. On the contrary very few of us know about the cultures of other countries or have even visited them. i am not saying for sure about what takes place in Scandinavia but i have seen the horrible poverty of the United States. The people i have spoken to have been in both Canada, Scandinavia and the United States and also Europe and say their citizens are treated better by the government.

i see it everyday in wealthy areas just as much as poor areas. People are begging on the streets and hoping to find jobs everywhere. How can the richest country in the world justify this? i am so glad that we have a President who is finally trying to give an equal chance to those who want to have some dignity.

You say i have brought this subject up before. Yes they will continue to be high priorities for me and if i have a chance i will help these people again like i did before in my life. i do not see that we are wildly differnent in our views Nitewish but i just wonder if you think it is the rebel in me; then don't i have good company? i mean Jesus was considerd a rebel also. That is why he was crucufied. Just some things to think about my dear friend. Which i mean sincerely.

Namaste2All  had brought up the point of liberty and dignity. i just wanted to express that many people in this land do not have dignity and they are denied their dignity. Many people don't even have liberty. They do not even have freedom to beg on street corners without being called solcitors and vagrants and ticketed and thrown in prison. Freedom? Freedom to walk the streets? No: citizens in this country do not have that freedom. i will give an example. Just recently i was in San Diego. Hillcrest to be exact and i saw a young man and woman next to a parking meter with a bicycle. They were asked to move on by the security of the town. i asked the security officer who his boss was and where he was. i went and talked to him. Do you know this is what he said to me: These kind of people need to go to another town we have to have a certain kind of people here and we can not have those who are not buying in our stores hanging around on the street. Let them go to another town. i said wonder if they are also thrown out of the next town. He said quite arrogantly; That is not my problem we have a certain image for our town. This was a representative for the City of Hillcrest which is part of San Diego.

Yes i realize that other countries have their problems. But the country that is considered by many to be the richest in the world has some of the most abject poverty. It is unexcusable.

Lastly we can go to any local bar and get loaded but we have all these laws for the simple use of petty drugs and we spend much of our economy enforcing them and keeping people in jail for them.
I think it was Yoshi who said prohibition did not work so why do we continue to have these laws against
simple drug charges when we have no similar laws for the use of alcohol? Many other countries do not have such laws. Especially in Europe.

Many times i have helped those out less fortunate than myself and i will continue to as i am able to help our country, once again, have a better image around the world and a more humane treatment of our citizens.

Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013 08:57 am by namaste2All » Report Spam   Logged

elfun
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2012 07:22 am »

Is it good to get a brainwashing once i awhile? I know if i don't do some dishwashing i won't have any clean dishes to eat some chicken,steak,pork, or some of those toxic hotdogs on!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
tides2dust
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2013 04:22 am »

In the United States more people are thrown into jail for trying to find a place to live then probably most countries in the world. I see more policemen 'harrasing' the homeless and those begging for food and money than any other offence except speeding tickets.These things take place because of the moral conditioning from the 'right'.

Steve Hydonus

Hi Steve. Last night I watched a Documentary that had me thinking of one of your post. This might be the exact post I was thinking of when recalling your impressions but I can't be to sure. In either case the documentary is called:
Lost Angels: Skid Row Is My Home
If you have netflix or something, check it out. It looks like you might be able to watch it free here:
http://www.snagfilms.com/welcome?redirect=%2Ffilms%2Ftitle%2Fskid_row

http://www.skidrowismyhome.com/

They also discuss the use of Police Force... The Safer Cities Initiative
where Police enforce something called a, Broken Window Theory. Where you fix a minor problem to prevent a much larger one. Perhaps this practice was abused though as the Documentary shows- A Homeless Man is profiled and then arrested for sitting on top of a brand name Crate.

Anyways, I thought you'd like this Documentary and perhaps others will appreciate it too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-boden/on-homeless-memorial-day-_1_b_811966.html

Cheers !
Report Spam   Logged

peace ~ <3
Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2013 09:30 am »

I think it is all to clear to me. People everywhere and everyday asking for handouts, food a job just anything to survive. On street corners everywhere from Los Angeles to San Diego. People everywhere with shopping carts full of belongings and bottles and cans to get recycle payments. I've seen it everyday for the last 5 years living in southwestern california-poverty center of the world. I am not talking poverty of the poor...I am talking spiritual poverty of the rich who live and ignore and who do everything they can to create laws that harass these people and to hire police and security to get these people out of 'their' communities.

When southern california has its big earthquake it will be obvious why it happens: selfishness and living in luxury amidst the needs of others around those who have the ability to help but don't. This is the Sodom and Gomorrah of the insensitive. Mother nature can only endure so much and then she will react at having such selfish humans living on her surface.

thanks Eric I spent quite abit of time on your links.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013 09:41 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2016 07:58 pm »

http://m.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2016/0928/Clinton-or-Trump-As-US-election-nears-the-globe-watches-very-intently
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2016 08:00 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: