Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Bhaktananda on Health and Aging

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bhaktananda on Health and Aging  (Read 915 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Jan 27, 2013 09:56 am »

BB 25 Bhaktananda Aging 4/25/79

Aging -  There was a saint in India gave a servant a boon, or a fulfilled wish to be young again. So aging is not really necessary.

We don’t want just youth – maturity is the proper state.

We must see others as mature and beautiful – no matter how they look. If we see signs of aging in them we will find it in ourselves.

“Old age” should always be 15 years ahead.

Suggestions:

Thinking - positive
Looking – studying (youth)
Be - happy and calm

Diet: Fresh vegetables and fruit. They are not “old” and have vitality. Eggs, milk, cheese, cottage cheese, beans, millet – rotate proteins. Don’t eat eggs every day. Also lima beans are a good protein – but they don’t have all the amino acids.

In the astral – they have no cooked food – it is all raw fruits and vegetables there. But our body is not adjusted to a raw diet – so mix cooked and raw foods.

How to stay youthful:

•   Mind - attitude
•   Diet – vegetables and fruits, more raw food
•   Fasting – Master’s rule was one day a week or three days a month (not both).
•   Energization Exercises

God lives in the present, it is all we have, we must too. It is not good to speak of our age – legal matters only.

Massage the face gently one or two times a day with fingers to prevent aging and get rid of wrinkles.

Keep the mind busy. Most important.

Retired?  Don’t just sit around all day. Serve the Temple. Be interested in serving others. If you must sit, then knit or crochet, make rugs, etc – find a handcraft to do. Yes, men crochet.

Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013 04:34 pm »

BB 25 Bhaktananda Aging 4/25/79

Aging -  There was a saint in India gave a servant a boon, or a fulfilled wish to be young again. So aging is not really necessary.

We don’t want just youth – maturity is the proper state.

We must see others as mature and beautiful – no matter how they look. If we see signs of aging in them we will find it in ourselves.

“Old age” should always be 15 years ahead.

Suggestions:

Thinking - positive
Looking – studying (youth)
Be - happy and calm

Diet: Fresh vegetables and fruit. They are not “old” and have vitality. Eggs, milk, cheese, cottage cheese, beans, millet – rotate proteins. Don’t eat eggs every day. Also lima beans are a good protein – but they don’t have all the amino acids.

In the astral – they have no cooked food – it is all raw fruits and vegetables there. But our body is not adjusted to a raw diet – so mix cooked and raw foods.

How to stay youthful:

•   Mind - attitude
•   Diet – vegetables and fruits, more raw food
•   Fasting – Master’s rule was one day a week or three days a month (not both).
•   Energization Exercises

God lives in the present, it is all we have, we must too. It is not good to speak of our age – legal matters only.

Massage the face gently one or two times a day with fingers to prevent aging and get rid of wrinkles.

Keep the mind busy. Most important.

Retired?  Don’t just sit around all day. Serve the Temple. Be interested in serving others. If you must sit, then knit or crochet, make rugs, etc – find a handcraft to do. Yes, men crochet.

I thought some of the ideas were so good that I quoted it again. I usually energize everyday. I like fasting. It keeps my weight close to where I want it and helps me depend on food less. Still have to try the face message. Eating more and more raw food these days. Meat is death. More and more raw vegetables and fruit. Hope to live on the rays of the Sun and cosmic energy directly instead of thru physical food.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013 04:40 pm by Jitendra Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014 09:51 pm »

5 meals a day is better than 3; you don’t overload the system and have energy to work.

Fasting: “the rule is one day per week or 3 consecutive days per month”

Master on colds: Colds are caused by too much sweets and starches. Fasting for two days on water or non-citrus fruit juice. Don’t continue eating bread and all. Keep the throat warm with a scarf. Yogis do this in India.

“When I get that certain tickle in the throat I will stop all starches, dairy, sweets and at least cut the cheese in half.”

Use soup and salad as the base for your evening meal. Don’t overeat at night – this saps energy you need at night to meditate.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014 09:55 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2014 10:23 pm »

Great suggestions.

I was 16 and ate horrendously and had quite a few nuisances in the body. After I read a book on holistic medicine, I became a vegetarian overnight, I started exercising regularly, I started practicing hyidroterapy with cold water and exposing the body to cold air.

The benefits were dramatic. After 6 months I was cured by a cronic cold which was afflicting me since a few years. Doctors were not able to do anything About it. Also, I ceased to have any illness whatsoever and acquired huge energies. I also used to practice hard titiksha, going around with a T shirt in winter, even with freezing temps and dressing up with a full shirt and wool weather in summer. I didn't feel cold nor heat. Although one day I arrived at school with frozen arms.

I don't know if that holds true for everyone but in my case diet and healthy lifestyle it made all the difference.

Another similar case was Rajasi Janakananda. After changing his diet to something which was very similar to the one I used to follow, he lost a lot of excessive weight and was cured of his cold. He went on with his diet the Whole life, his was probably the most healthy and balanced diet I ever heard about. Some people criticize him for being too drastic and point out at the end he got cancer.

Truth may be that he was able to stave off cancer by his radically healthy lifestyle. Had he not been following insanely healthy habits, he probably would have got cancer 10 or 20 years before.
This is what I learnt from an absolutely impartial source, a research doctor who didn't stick to yoga or holistic medicine.

Raw, organic fruit and vegetables plus raw nuts will give you immunity from disease. You must add something else though, or maybe live in a very favourable environment, climate wise and work wise.
As Baktananda told, we are probably not suited now for a totally raw diet. Probably,50-60% raw fruits -veggies-nuts, 30% cooked veggies and 10-20% (by weight) cereals, fresh protein and fats is the best. By calories, these percentages swing toward cereals, proteins and fats.
Fasting is extremely useful although overeating afterwards destroys its benefits.

This is my opinion modeled by 38 years of practicing a vegetarian diet.

I found that I'm not suited right now to the sun rays + cosmic energy diet. I found it the hard way and almost starved myself to death.
Maybe I should have tried it much more gradually and as a long term experiment. I burnt myself and in this lifetime I'm going to try it no longer.

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014 05:55 am »

Great suggestions.

I was 16 and ate horrendously and had quite a few nuisances in the body. After I read a book on holistic medicine, I became a vegetarian overnight, I started exercising regularly, I started practicing hyidroterapy with cold water and exposing the body to cold air.

The benefits were dramatic. After 6 months I was cured by a cronic cold which was afflicting me since a few years. Doctors were not able to do anything About it. Also, I ceased to have any illness whatsoever and acquired huge energies. I also used to practice hard titiksha, going around with a T shirt in winter, even with freezing temps and dressing up with a full shirt and wool weather in summer. I didn't feel cold nor heat. Although one day I arrived at school with frozen arms.

I don't know if that holds true for everyone but in my case diet and healthy lifestyle it made all the difference.

Another similar case was Rajasi Janakananda. After changing his diet to something which was very similar to the one I used to follow, he lost a lot of excessive weight and was cured of his cold. He went on with his diet the Whole life, his was probably the most healthy and balanced diet I ever heard about. Some people criticize him for being too drastic and point out at the end he got cancer.

Truth may be that he was able to stave off cancer by his radically healthy lifestyle. Had he not been following insanely healthy habits, he probably would have got cancer 10 or 20 years before.
This is what I learnt from an absolutely impartial source, a research doctor who didn't stick to yoga or holistic medicine.

Raw, organic fruit and vegetables plus raw nuts will give you immunity from disease. You must add something else though, or maybe live in a very favourable environment, climate wise and work wise.
As Baktananda told, we are probably not suited now for a totally raw diet. Probably,50-60% raw fruits -veggies-nuts, 30% cooked veggies and 10-20% (by weight) cereals, fresh protein and fats is the best. By calories, these percentages swing toward cereals, proteins and fats.
Fasting is extremely useful although overeating afterwards destroys its benefits.

This is my opinion modeled by 38 years of practicing a vegetarian diet.

I found that I'm not suited right now to the sun rays + cosmic energy diet. I found it the hard way and almost starved myself to death.
Maybe I should have tried it much more gradually and as a long term experiment. I burnt myself and in this lifetime I'm going to try it no longer.

mccoy

enjoyed what you shared here. I also have been keeping a fruit and vegetable diet and i have been trying to cut back on so much grains and bread products. They turn to sugar. But it is somewhat difficult because wheat is so plentiful and cheap here in the states. I always have nut butters around to satisfy my 'snacks' with a bit of fruit jam on bread. That and yogurt are my confections. i rarely eat pies cookies or candy bars. Even the healthy type.  I think I'm finely breaking myself of that habit.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2014 06:31 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014 07:13 pm »

Steve, but grains are pretty good, providing they are whole, not refined and possibly organic.

I enjoy a slice of black bread with butter or unsweetened peanut butter and honey.

Of course they can bloat and impair digestion if eaten unsparingly and sometimes it's too easy to overindulge
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014 10:37 pm »

Steve, but grains are pretty good, providing they are whole, not refined and possibly organic.

I enjoy a slice of black bread with butter or unsweetened peanut butter and honey.

Of course they can bloat and impair digestion if eaten unsparingly and sometimes it's too easy to overindulge

Well I really admire people who are not greedy about food. I have taken inspiration from those around me. Sweets... they just show up in so many unusual ways and wheat is one of them. Fattening.. so much food is fattening.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2014 01:46 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2015 04:07 pm »

You admire people who are not greedy but sometimes, like my own case, it is just an issue of different scale, or extent.

For example, I think about myself as greedy because I like to eat healthy foods.

But I make no breakfast because I'm not hungry at all when I wake up (so no exercise of will power here)

I make a brunch based on fruit, yogurt and almonds. After that I'm naturally full, I would never dream about eating more. So I deserve no praise for self-control

In the evening I eat lots of vegetables, raw (summertime) or cooked (wintertime). After veggies, there is no much room in the stomach for else. I eat some dark bread, a little cheese and finish up with some sweet stuff, which often includes chocolate. I consider myself greedy because I eat the sweet stuff.

About 20 years ago I would eat more, but my trick was to fill myself up with vegetables and fruit. Also, whole grain cereals are healthy and fill up earlier.

Since satvic food tends to be more digestible, you can eat more of it usually . Of course it can result in excessive weight just the same.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2015 05:32 pm »

I've been reading again Baktananda's suggestions in the original post.

He supports a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, not a vegan diet. Also he suggests lots of raw foods but not only raw food, to which our body is not adjusted.

In my nearly 4-decades of diet experiments I found that's teh best for me. Some people may prefer to eat a vegan diet for many reasons. That's perfectly all right although it needs attention.

The lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet has nothing wrong by itself, though, as the great Baktananda clearly expressed. Basically, this is also Yoganandaji's suggestions in the SRF lessons.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2015 05:32 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2015 10:47 pm »

In my nearly 4-decades of diet experiments I found that's teh best for me.

This is absolutely true, you have to find what works exactly for you. I use to try and follow what everyone else suggests, but what I eat now is totally what I have found to work for me, even though I "fall down" at times and eat things I shouldn't.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2015 11:54 am »

SI, what's basically your ideal diet now?
Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2015 11:54 pm »

Basically fruit, mostly blueberries, mangos, watermelon, kiwi, and some dried fruits. Ground or whole nuts mostly almonds, pecans, cashews. Fried zucchini with curry, some potatoes, broccoli, and other veggies, high protein vegetable broth. Sometimes I'll add an egg to the hot broth and make like an egg drop soup. Or on weekends 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast with cayenne pepper. Salads with oil/vinegar dressing. Chocolate sometimes. Pure lemon juice with water. Let's see, indian ginseng extract with water twice a day.

That's about it. No boxed or bagged foods like crackers, chips, no breads or flours, no processed foods, no processed sugar, If I need to use sugar we have cane sugar or honey.

Sometimes I do grab a cookie or something like that since at work people bring that stuff in constantly, but I can mostly avoid it.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2015 10:58 pm »

SI, that's a very good sattvic diet. The only potential lack I can envisage is maybe B12 or cyanocobalamin, since cooked eggs do not contain much and you do not apparently eat dairy products.

Do you take any B12 supplements?
Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2015 12:29 am »

Actually about 3-4 times a week I take a vitamin, just because I think I need to, but I bet I don't really need it.

https://megafood.com/store/en/non-gender-specific/one-daily/
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2015 03:07 pm »

In the contents it is indicated 250% RDA of B12, but the source (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) is told to contain B12 analogues which are not really useful to the body. Although I'm not sure Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the source of all vitamins and minerals listed on the label.

I find that 50% or less of the FDA RDA is enough in some subjects because of omeostasis, but a minimum treshold should be met. B12 can also be stored during binges based on milk products for example.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: