Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 11:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

veggie

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: veggie  (Read 258 times)
elfun
« on: Aug 11, 2012 02:27 am »

Vegetables are a must on a diet.  I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. Wink Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2013 08:27 am »

Steve
for some time now i have known you to be vegetarian but have never really known why. personally, i struggle with choosing to practice being vegetarian or not. so far i have noticed success in limiting the amount of meat i eat but still... i can't help but feel a certain sense of responsibility and sometimes get upset if i feel i've eaten to much of it. i wonder if you have any advice here. do you think you can share a little more about yourself, when did you decide to become a vegetarian ? were there any challenges or difficulties you had to face in choosing to practice vegetarianism ? what was/is the reason behind it all ?

thanks
ps,

The vast majority of Americans view eating meat as natural, normal and necessary while recognizing that vegetarianism is an ideology, or belief system. Thanks to Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy, Ph.D. (published November, 2009 by Conari Press), the way we eat animals now has a name and is exposed to be every bit as much an ideology as vegetarianism. "Carnism" is the belief system that says it's okay to eat certain animals and not others. Like feminism, racism, ageism and speciesism, carnism has been inflicting harm for centuries. And because it was invisible and unnamed, it was challenging, if not impossible, to confront it and and to argue against it.. Now that carnism has been identified, explored, and brilliantly analyzed, it will become a powerful tool in changing the ubiquitous and dangerous misconceptions about eating meat...
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/11/why-we-love-dogs-eat-pigs-and-wear-cows-book-review.html
http://www.amazon.com/Love-Dogs-Pigs-Wear-Cows/dp/1573245054

"the gaps in our consciousness only become visible when they start to disappear"
-Melanie Joy
Report Spam   Logged
Don Diego

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2013 02:58 am »

Soy vegetariano.

Don
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2013 03:07 am »

Steve
for some time now i have known you to be vegetarian but have never really known why. personally, i struggle with choosing to practice being vegetarian or not. so far i have noticed success in limiting the amount of meat i eat but still... i can't help but feel a certain sense of responsibility and sometimes get upset if i feel i've eaten to much of it. i wonder if you have any advice here. do you think you can share a little more about yourself, when did you decide to become a vegetarian ? were there any challenges or difficulties you had to face in choosing to practice vegetarianism ? what was/is the reason behind it all ?

thanks
ps,

The vast majority of Americans view eating meat as natural, normal and necessary while recognizing that vegetarianism is an ideology, or belief system. Thanks to Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy, Ph.D. (published November, 2009 by Conari Press), the way we eat animals now has a name and is exposed to be every bit as much an ideology as vegetarianism. "Carnism" is the belief system that says it's okay to eat certain animals and not others. Like feminism, racism, ageism and speciesism, carnism has been inflicting harm for centuries. And because it was invisible and unnamed, it was challenging, if not impossible, to confront it and and to argue against it.. Now that carnism has been identified, explored, and brilliantly analyzed, it will become a powerful tool in changing the ubiquitous and dangerous misconceptions about eating meat...
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/11/why-we-love-dogs-eat-pigs-and-wear-cows-book-review.html
http://www.amazon.com/Love-Dogs-Pigs-Wear-Cows/dp/1573245054

"the gaps in our consciousness only become visible when they start to disappear"
-Melanie Joy

Hello Draginpie Thanks for bringing up tihs topic about carnism.

i remember being a child and fed fish pork chops etc. It would bring up pictures in my mind of eating around a camp fire the latest 'kill'. Or being in Alaska and biting off the heads of fish as i caught them. Perhaps these were like dim memories of the past. Living in a more barbaric life. We as Americans now only have sophisticated killing centers for old barbaric living styles of eating and killing animals.

Unfortunately i was born into a very aggressive culture that still supports the murder of animals on a mass level. All you have to do is go down the street to be reminded of this. McDonalds Arbies Burger King etc. If we were able to personally visit slaughter houses and watch how animals are butchered killed and prepared for the slaughter we may have a  very different opinion of the whole matter.

It is remarkable that people will talk about the treatment of animals like a dog or cat and can actually be jailed for mistreatment but think nothing of the treatment of cows chickens and pigs. Such is the hypocracy of our socities laws and socilal mores. Then there are Americans who make fun of the so called 'worship' of cows in India. When i reality the Indian people have a great respect for the animals that give them butter, milk yogurt etc. not a worship but a respect. In many ways our culture is sick.

Being brought up in a culture like this first we have to be able to see the sickness and hypocricy. When we are able to do this we recognize the tremendous value of other cultures.

So when i was very early in my 20's i remember going to Ponderosa Steak House every nite after teaching guitar all day and eating steak and potatoes. i had been practicing yoga and some meditation as a teen ager and remembered reading many yoga articles about the harm that meat causes to our spirtual and psychological and physical beings. It collects in the interior passages of the intestines and creates disease. It creates heart and vascular disese. It has both uremic and uric acids which collect in our system to cause arthriitis rhuemetism. gout etc. It create a restless aggressive pattern of thoughts in our brains through its vibration. It causes the karma of killing on our souls. We could feed the whole world many times over if we stopped using the land used for the slaughter of animals for human consumption and instead grew vegetables and fruits on those lands.

So one nite i said to myself this is it: No more meat and this culture is just as sick as the Viet Nam War and you know what... i do not have to participate in this kind of ignorance. So i never ate meat again. Never!

After a few years i also stopped eating fish and i feel much more calmer less hyperactive and a lightness has increased in feeling about myself. i also have a lot better ability to focus and meditate.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013 04:19 am by steve hydonus/jitendra » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2013 09:50 am »

that's great, i'm glad you were able to remain so passionate with your beliefs and compassionate for the animals. i think dr. melanie joy makes so many good/valid points in her presentation. it's really sad, the abuse these creatures endure and i wonder, what we can do to influence change in the meat industry so these animals don't have to suffer. you mentioned respect and i think that's very important. anyways, it pains me to have even asked a question because i don't like the idea of such mass killing *shudders*
thank you for taking the time to answer my question
there's just a wealth of knowledge in your response and in the video posted above i encourage anyone with the slightest interest to watch and listen or, if you've already seen it, i encourage you to watch it again or look into her book and help raise awareness

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: