Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 06:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

bkyetc

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: bkyetc  (Read 1102 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2014 05:03 pm »

You know bky i never really enjoyed meditation or even had a glimpse of what it was all about until i recieved Babaji ' s Kriya yoga. I am not saying it is for everyone or that someone may get something out of another technique and be just as satisfied. i just recall  reading your reason for choosing such a name  and it reminded me again of how grateful i am.

Maybe sometime you will share with us your experiences with Babaji 's Kriya yoga. That would be a treat. i guess what fascinates me so much is how someone that has such very little public exposure can make such a difference in people's lives.
That is an inspiration itself.

Om Babaji

written by bky:

Well my first experience with Babaji's Kriya Yoga was that an advanced yogi who had taken all three levels of BKY (as well, I believe, some SRF teachings) reached out to me one day, humbly alluding to the experience of samadhi in a way that hinted of personal experience.  That goes back years.  I'm honestly against some of the sort of eternal membership requirements and other rules in SRF, so BKY seemed like a natural fit.  Some don't see SRF as very strict at all, but I would feel less like a Kumar (of Sri Yutkeswar's ashram in AY) if I didn't take their Kriya.  That said, I do value the non-Kriya lessons of SRF.  SRF is part of the "etc" of my screen name.

There's a diversity among the Order's Acharyas.  I've taken level 1 initiation twice, the second time being more by the book.  What's nice about BKY is the variety of techniques even in the first level, and I get the most mileage out of the pranayamas.  That said, the asana practice, while wonderful, might not be for everyone, though the energization exercises of SRF might indeed be for a greater number of bodies.

BKYetc. Definately not overstated!!!!!!!!

i cannot begin to tell you the times i have encountered endless rules and comformity to appearence at SRF. When I go to one of their convocations it reminds me of a military operation... every thing is sooo formal. But some people do seem to like this formality and want things just so.

I find it better to find my chapel in nature and there are many spiritual organizations that do not stress such conformity to old social traditions or respect a more Indian or eastern culture. SRF fits strongly into a traditional western format.

Try doing anything out of the ordinary and someone will let you know it does not fit in. SRFers have never stopped correcting me. There is always one of them somewhere who knows what is best for you!!  However despite all this I still would go to an SRF meditation or service if I was nearby and consider it a blessing to have spent time at these places. I must admit though I agree with you so much and probably my choice of where I live in nature today was influenced by never being able to quite satisfy those who live in spiritual communities made up of endless rules.

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2014 05:23 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
BKYetc

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2014 08:58 am »

BKYetc. Definately not overstated!!!!!!!!

i cannot begin to tell you the times i have encountered endless rules and comformity to appearence at SRF. When I go to one of their convocations it reminds me of a military operation... every thing is sooo formal. But some people do seem to like this formality and want things just so.

I find it better to find my chapel in nature and there are many spiritual organizations that do not stress such conformity to old social traditions or respect a more Indian or eastern culture. SRF fits strongly into a traditional western format.

Try doing anything out of the ordinary and someone will let you know it does not fit in. SRFers have never stopped correcting me. There is always one of them somewhere who knows what is best for you!!  However despite all this I still would go to an SRF meditation or service if I was nearby and consider it a blessing to have spent time at these places. I must admit though I agree with you so much and probably my choice of where I live in nature today was influenced by never being able to quite satisfy those who live in spiritual communities made up of endless rules.

Jitendra

The feeling I get about SRF is that they are some kind of church trapped in the early 20th century, back when world wars were being raged and militant ideologies were searing the political spectrum across the nations.  Ananda may be trapped somewhere around the 1960s.  I've never been to a Sivananda Yoga ashram, but they just seem to be more aware and acknowledging of other paths and the heterogeneity of seekers' interests, as well as up to date on spirituality while being traditional.  This is what I would say to someone considering joining a path, a skeptic of the paths, or an outsider to whom I was trying to explain what the differences were.  I try not to put BKY in a special category, but I know which path I would take to a desert island.

I have been to SRF meditation services, but not since I had the intuition that Babaji's path is more for me.  That said, I still owe a debt of gratitude for much to Yogananda as I understand him.

So you said you have tried BKY as well?  I receive mixed messages from the the different advanced yogis in my school.  Some seem to be very traditional Hindu, some are scientific, and some are sincere in their respect for Christian tradition.  I used to think that Kriya yogis were to be criticized for all thinking the same thing in the same lineage, including SRF, even though yogis say even atheists or members of any religion can practice it.  Well, now that I have found a Kriya school that is truly mixed, I'm not sure whom to believe!
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2014 07:04 am »

bky i do not know how to respond to your last post nor do I know if it requires a response. However you did ask if I have taken Babaji's Kriya Yoga. The answer is yes. When i began Kriya Yoga there was no internet and the only book that was available, that I found which spoke of Kriya, was Paramahansa Yogananda's book the Autobiography of a Yogi. Since the book i read was written by the Self Realization Fellowship i enquired for the lessons from SRF to learn Kriya. i learned kriya from the Self Realization Fellowship lessons. I realize that Babaji had other people he taught Kriya but I learned it through Paramahansa Yogananda's teachings.

I am sure there are other ways of learning Kriya and we here at the portal welcome and support everyone's personal spiritual path. We also encourage everyone to express their own Spiritual path here. I hope I have answered your question. If you have any specific questions i would answer them as well. I hope you share more of your path and experiences in life with us. How did you learn Kriya? Who was the advanced yogi who taught you the Kriya technique? Do you still see that person? Do you have a Guru? Do you consider him your Guru? 

i believe  younger people, like Nomaste2all are more familiar with various kriya paths since they have had internet exposure before receiving kriya.

Sincerely,

Steve
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2014 07:53 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
BKYetc

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2014 11:21 pm »

bky i do not know how to respond to your last post nor do I know if it requires a response. However you did ask if I have taken Babaji's Kriya Yoga. The answer is yes. When i began Kriya Yoga there was no internet and the only book that was available, that I found which spoke of Kriya, was Paramahansa Yogananda's book the Autobiography of a Yogi. Since the book i read was written by the Self Realization Fellowship i enquired for the lessons from SRF to learn Kriya. i learned kriya from the Self Realization Fellowship lessons. I realize that Babaji had other people he taught Kriya but I learned it through Paramahansa Yogananda's teachings.

I am sure there are other ways of learning Kriya and we here at the portal welcome and support everyone's personal spiritual path. We also encourage everyone to express their own Spiritual path here. I hope I have answered your question. If you have any specific questions i would answer them as well. I hope you share more of your path and experiences in life with us. How did you learn Kriya? Who was the advanced yogi who taught you the Kriya technique? Do you still see that person? Do you have a Guru? Do you consider him your Guru? 

i believe  younger people, like Nomaste2all are more familiar with various kriya paths since they have had internet exposure before receiving kriya.

Sincerely,

Steve

I thought you meant that you had tried a form of Kriya from outside SRF known as Babaji's Kriya Yoga, the one we were discussing.  I forget where I read it, but I believe Lahiri Mahasaya said that mystics will always be able to "revive" Kriya, so yes, there are other ways of learning Kriya.  Also, there are yogis who don't think the same thing as the mainstream in Kriya about "accepting" Yogananda and Gurus as one's own gurus.

To answer your questions, I learned Kriya from traveling acharyas in the Babaji's Kriya Yoga school, which is headquartered in Quebec.  See <http://babajiskriyayoga.com/>.  This is what I thought you said you had done too.  I don't consider the Acharyas my guru, and honestly, the BKY tradition probably just considers Babaji the guru for anyone who has been initiated by default, though I don't think the beliefs about what it means to accept someone as a Guru are the same as other Kriya lineages.  There hasn't been much hint from other yogis about "this is your guru, whether you accept it or not."

One of the Acharyas I met was happy that J.C. Stevens has written "Kriya Secrets Revealed."  I have an earlier edition of the book and am less than wowed by it, but I think the point is people are starting to treat Kriya as an open spirituality, and that this is a good thing.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2014 12:37 am »

I thought you meant that you had tried a form of Kriya from outside SRF known as Babaji's Kriya Yoga, the one we were discussing.  I forget where I read it, but I believe Lahiri Mahasaya said that mystics will always be able to "revive" Kriya, so yes, there are other ways of learning Kriya.  Also, there are yogis who don't think the same thing as the mainstream in Kriya about "accepting" Yogananda and Gurus as one's own gurus.

To answer your questions, I learned Kriya from traveling acharyas in the Babaji's Kriya Yoga school, which is headquartered in Quebec.  See <http://babajiskriyayoga.com/>.  This is what I thought you said you had done too.  I don't consider the Acharyas my guru, and honestly, the BKY tradition probably just considers Babaji the guru for anyone who has been initiated by default, though I don't think the beliefs about what it means to accept someone as a Guru are the same as other Kriya lineages.  There hasn't been much hint from other yogis about "this is your guru, whether you accept it or not."

One of the Acharyas I met was happy that J.C. Stevens has written "Kriya Secrets Revealed."  I have an earlier edition of the book and am less than wowed by it, but I think the point is people are starting to treat Kriya as an open spirituality, and that this is a good thing.

Thanks for the link BKY. i read this part with interest:

"A devotee is one who is seeking a path or a teacher. This stage may continue for a very long time, until one is ready to make a commitment to one teacher or discipline. One may hop from one teacher to another, listening, watching, and experimenting a little, like a comparison shopper. At the end of that stage, one becomes a disciple, when he/she becomes committed to the practice of the teacher’s prescribed spiritual discipline. Attainment from any spiritual discipline requires persistent effort over an extended time. One needs to have faith in the efficacy of the practice, perseverance, the support of a teacher, and divine grace. If the teacher is authentic, he or she will always be ready to respond to the students request or to find someone who can. And divine grace is always available to one who is open to it. What is problematic is acquiring faith and perseverance. The teacher can give understanding of the techniques, how to do them properly and how they transform the student and will instigate the process through initiation and provide inspiration and encouragement, but the student must consistently apply him/her self with confidence and faith.

Can one effectively learn the kriyas or techniques without initiation? Understanding what has been discussed above, the answer is, it depends on the qualities and karma of the individual, but it is highly unlikely. It would require Divine Grace and unrelenting faith. There is an essential sacred transmission of consciousness and energy, which empowers the techniques. That is why initiatory traditions have managed to pass the direct experience of truth from one generation to the next so effectively. Their strength lies in the power and the consciousness of those who have done the practices intensely and so realized their truth. We honor our highest Self when we honor our initiation by putting into diligent and regular practice what we have learned and received in them.''
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2014 12:55 am »

Thanks for sharing BKY. i would like to read those books someday that are on the site.

Om Babaji
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
BKYetc

« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2014 01:11 am »

Can one effectively learn the kriyas or techniques without initiation? Understanding what has been discussed above, the answer is, it depends on the qualities and karma of the individual, but it is highly unlikely. It would require Divine Grace and unrelenting faith. There is an essential sacred transmission of consciousness and energy, which empowers the techniques. That is why initiatory traditions have managed to pass the direct experience of truth from one generation to the next so effectively. Their strength lies in the power and the consciousness of those who have done the practices intensely and so realized their truth. We honor our highest Self when we honor our initiation by putting into diligent and regular practice what we have learned and received in them.''

Hong Sau and other techniques can lead to Samadhi.  That doesn't require initiation, even in SRF.

Babaji's Kriya Yoga has initiations, but I don't consider anyone my guru.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2014 03:50 am »

Hong Sau and other techniques can lead to Samadhi.  That doesn't require initiation, even in SRF.

Babaji's Kriya Yoga has initiations, but I don't consider anyone my guru.

As you know each of us has our own personal path we follow. i appreciate your expressing yours. i have had a few experiences in life-that for me-have proven the benefits of having a Guru. However someone else may have had similar blessings without having a Guru. i can only speak for myself as no doubt you feel the same.

Steve
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2014 03:52 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
BKYetc

« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2014 04:48 am »

As you know each of us has our own personal path we follow. i appreciate your expressing yours. i have had a few experiences in life-that for me-have proven the benefits of having a Guru. However someone else may have had similar blessings without having a Guru. i can only speak for myself as no doubt you feel the same.

Steve
[/quote]

The kriya yogi who reached out to me made sure to tell me multiple times that the Guru is within.  Gurus are indispensable.  Spiritual authority is optional.  I enjoyed reading your experiences on the Hong Sau thread in recent posts.  Isn't it great that one need not have a guru to progress spiritually, such as through Hong Sau?  Imagine many more people did Hong Sau, but had no guru.  Would yogis who have had initiations suppose that any of them had Samadhi?
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2014 05:25 am »

Well bky i do not know. I do know this though about my experience with Hong Sau. The only time my breath seized was because of a blessing from Paramahansa Yogananda. But i do believe that any of these high techniques would help mankind - guru or no guru- but you see I really do not see it as a concern. Your spiritual path is deeply yours - not mine- and if you feel most comfortable without a guru then i respect your view. I definately do not believe my path should be any one elses. Furthermore it seems to me to be a great mistake of spiritual seekers to suppose they know what path is for others. I am very interested in you and your spiritual journey. I am sure I can learn from it. There is much beauty in each snowflake that manifests in creation and each one is unique... similarly each human being is a unique expression of God not to be made in the image of someone else.

Nomaste

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014 06:24 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print