Spiritual Portal
Apr 19, 2024 06:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

My imaginary conversation with Socrates

Recent Items

Views: 31
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My imaginary conversation with Socrates  (Read 384 times)
Swami Peevananda

« on: Jul 27, 2014 04:51 pm »

I was going through some old notebooks and came across this imaginary dialogue I had with Socrates, in the style of the platonic dialogues. It's short but I thought it would be funny to post it.

Me: Socrates, why do you think there is so much suffering in the world?

Socrates: Well, let us discuss the matter rationally, as two adults. You ask why there is so much suffering in the world, but pray tell me, how do you know that there is so much suffering in the world?

Me: Well, one can look around and see that there is much suffering in the world. I think it's really pretty clear.

Socrates: Indeed, my dear boy, I should say you quite have a point! But perhaps (if you will allow me to follow a hunch) the amount of suffering you see around you goes up in proportion to how much you are suffering inside. Would you agree to this?

Me: Yes, Socrates, perhaps that has some truth in it.

Socrates: So, if that is the case, then the suffering one sees around oneself would actually decrease if the amount he were suffering inside were decreased. Therefore, I am afraid that I have exposed your question as merely being an expression of your own suffering.

Me: Maybe you are on to something Socrates! Now I am starting to understand why they call you the gadfly!

Socrates: Save the crap, my dear boy. It's disturbing...

Me: ...

Socrates: So you say that you SEE suffering all around. Would it help to poke out your eyes?

Me: Maybe, but I would still HEAR about the sufferings of mankind.

Socrates: Listen young man, I don't know which translation of Plato you read but I really don't have any patience for you.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2014 04:51 pm by Swami Peevananda » Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2014 06:18 pm »

HeyyyyyMr. SwamiiPeeev
Cheesy that's really cool!  I like it ^^
fun activity. I wonder what the dialogue would have sounded like if you were talking to a younger version of Socrates ^^
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: