Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 08:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Relaxation

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relaxation  (Read 1001 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Apr 14, 2015 03:22 pm »

Thanks for reminding Steve, I'm about to do my Hong Sau now.

Yes, watching the breath and be aware of it, no voluntary control on it, although the relaxed awareness should cause a decrease in the frequency of breathing cycles.

Unfortunately, in my case frequency decreases but breath never stops altogether.

Human being (and even animals) works by motivation, so it's not easy to go on with enthusiasm when you have no results from actions, even if carried out correctly.

This is my personal complaint related to techniques, they give little or no results compared to the time you devote to them. It's not easy to go on for hours when there is no feedback.

Of course that's my personal case, hope it is different for other devotees.

i am not sure if you are encountering something that i often encounter during meditation but i thought i would open a discussion on it. i have noticed that it is difficult for me to relax quite often. So at times i will notice my body tense up during meditation. i asked a monk about it at SRF and he said it sounded like a 'karmic condition' . While this is no doubt an explanation for the problem it is not a solution.

Although i have heard various methods to help. One is to get up and walk around a bit. Another is to tense the body and breath in several counts, hold the breath the same amount of counts and then breath out a similar amount of counts, Then double breath in and out. Tense and relax. Yet even then i can still remain tense and the body does not want to relax. Sometimes i would get up and exercise as well and then come back to the practice.

At times i have changed my meditation routine. For me personally, while the SRF techniques are conducive to deep practice; they are not as helpful for occupying an overactive mind and a restless body as are the for instance: IAM techniques that Amma offers. In this routine the techniques make it very difficult for the mind to wonder if you are going to practice. This is because you go through a routine that keeps you going from beginning to end... if you so choose. i  am used to the SRF techniques and can not imagine replacing them. However at times it is necessary to look at ourselves and our progress and evaluate what are obstacles are to our spiritual progress and specifically our meditation routine. Sometimes it may take an unusual change or evaluation of ourselves and our environment.

i also have found that sometimes people and situations in my life have been determining factors in the success of my routine. Sometimes we are not letting go of people and situations because of desires and attachments and thus stifle our spiritual practice. Perhaps others have suggestions on this topic of being able to relax.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2015 09:01 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2015 12:11 am »

I find that my body is Always relaxed, whereas my mind is Always restless.

It is not easy to overcome such restlessness. As Steve implies, I heard many reasonable hypotheses for the causes of restlessnes but I heard no really effective methods to get rid of such mental state.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2015 04:44 pm »

I find that my body is Always relaxed, whereas my mind is Always restless.

It is not easy to overcome such restlessness. As Steve implies, I heard many reasonable hypotheses for the causes of restlessnes but I heard no really effective methods to get rid of such mental state.

Usually we are told that to have an active mind is good. However this business of an active mind does not help us during meditation. I believe we have to look at the topics of conversation and the issues we allow ourselves to entertain our minds with daily to begin to see where this source of restlessness originates. I think I allow myself to go on and on about some subjects and about some past experiences that serve no constructive purpose and there is little i can do to change or rectify them. The best course of action is to clear my thoughts of such useless information and raise my consciousness to higher levels of awareness in meditation so I am more effective when and if I have to face daily issues.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
SpiritImage

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2015 11:31 pm »

Usually we are told that to have an active mind is good. However this business of an active mind does not help us during meditation. I believe we have to look at the topics of conversation and the issues we allow ourselves to entertain our minds with daily to begin to see where this source of restlessness originates. I think I allow myself to go on and on about some subjects and about some past experiences that serve no constructive purpose and there is little i can do to change or rectify them. The best course of action is to clear my thoughts of such useless information and raise my consciousness to higher levels of awareness in meditation so I am more effective when and if I have to face daily issues.

True, then I guess that might mean think about the now, and the self, and whatever others do or say, is really piecemeal entertainment that sit in the mind and germinates. The problem is, some of that might be useful or helpful, so you have to sift thru the garbage, which is not easy to simply discard, and some of it is very tempting to dwell on because of it's political, sexual, or other derogatory nature.

Example, was watching the debate starring Trump, and it's hard to not watch it, here we are wanting to see a possible president, but most of us tune in because of Trump. It's pitiful trash, that entire show. I would benefit more by watching the 3 stooges go plumbing.

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2015 12:36 am »

The greatest technique of physical relaxation is to tense the whole body and then relax, exhaling the breath casting away all restless thoughts. Remain as long as you can in this positive calm state without the without the interruption of a restless thoughts and remain without breathing as long as there is no strain. This is very, very important to remember: never hold the breath to the point of discomfort or strain. ~ Paramahansa  Yogananda
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015 12:43 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Shannon
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2016 08:33 pm »

When I was a little girl, I used to imagine thoughts that did not serve me as soccer balls - then visualize an actual foot kicking the balls out of my mind.  Lol! Sometimes I would have to kick them several times, but eventually they would stay gone.  These days I sometimes employ a similar method, though the soccer balls have been replaced by doves which fly away.  If I am really brain-looping on something negative, the old lady comes out.  Think of Carol Burnette with her bucket and mop - a little old lady with a cap on her head; she comes and sweeps, sweeps, sweeps.  The sound of her broom is rhymthic, and easily falls in tune with my breathing - eventually the scene fades away. Other times, if I am physically and mentally restless, I imagine my body as a piece of paper floating on a pond.  Not sure why, but that one came from a dream and is fairly effective - for me.  I float, soak up the water but do not sink.  I am so thin and light - barely there.  I am pretty sure Yogananda doesn't teach these particular images - lol - sometimes you have to go with what works.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2016 08:38 pm by Shannon » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2016 12:42 pm »

When I was a little girl, I used to imagine thoughts that did not serve me as soccer balls - then visualize an actual foot kicking the balls out of my mind.  Lol! Sometimes I would have to kick them several times, but eventually they would stay gone.  These days I sometimes employ a similar method, though the soccer balls have been replaced by doves which fly away.  If I am really brain-looping on something negative, the old lady comes out.  Think of Carol Burnette with her bucket and mop - a little old lady with a cap on her head; she comes and sweeps, sweeps, sweeps.  The sound of her broom is rhymthic, and easily falls in tune with my breathing - eventually the scene fades away. Other times, if I am physically and mentally restless, I imagine my body as a piece of paper floating on a pond.  Not sure why, but that one came from a dream and is fairly effective - for me.  I float, soak up the water but do not sink.  I am so thin and light - barely there.  I am pretty sure Yogananda doesn't teach these particular images - lol - sometimes you have to go with what works.

i live in the country at this time....far from SRF groups or other meditation groups. But i have always liked to add that dimension.... That is meditation groups. But nature sings her song to me in the sound of the wind blowing thru the tress, the soft soft snow falling on the ground, the sound and smell of the water so prevalent here in the streams, rivers and lakes. And above all the dead silence and stillness of nite which is hard to find where i have lived before this. Once i stepped out of the car in the stillness of nite and heard the sound of om oooz out of the stillness of nite. Such a gift--- to have total silence --- to b alone or share that silence with someone else that understands the language of silence and unspoken communication.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
SI

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2016 12:58 am »

Think of Carol Burnette with her bucket and mop - a little old lady with a cap on her head; she comes and sweeps, sweeps, sweeps.

Report Spam   Logged
SI

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2016 01:04 am »

i live in the country at this time....far from SRF groups or other meditation groups. But i have always liked to add that dimension.... That is meditation groups. But nature sings her song to me in the sound of the wind blowing thru the tress, the soft soft snow falling on the ground, the sound and smell of the water so prevalent here in the streams, rivers and lakes. And above all the dead silence and stillness of nite which is hard to find where i have lived before this. Once i stepped out of the car in the stillness of nite and heard the sound of om oooz out of the stillness of nite. Such a gift--- to have total silence --- to b alone or share that silence with someone else that understands the language of silence and unspoken communication.

You and mccoy sound like you live in ideal locations. One day I will have that serene place to meditate and contemplate.
Report Spam   Logged
Shannon
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2016 01:14 am »

Lol!  Thanks SI!  They were such a hilarious group!  Still funny today.  D Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: