Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 04:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Pros and cons of vegan diet

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros and cons of vegan diet  (Read 1844 times)
mccoy
Administrator

« on: May 14, 2015 11:22 am »

This is a very interesting, non-biased article on pros and cosn of vegan diet

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.full

This is a relevant excerpt:

Vegan diets are usually higher in dietary fiber, magnesium, folic acid, vitamins C and E, iron, and phytochemicals, and they tend to be lower in calories, saturated fat and cholesterol, long-chain n–3 (omega-3) fatty acids, vitamin D, calcium, zinc, and vitamin B-12 (Cool.

B12 is the real concern, vitamin D and calcium a secondary concern, omega-3 I don't know really, zinc we saw can be provided by nuts and above all pumpkin seeds. Proteins, which are not cited in the study, are abundant in legumes and some nuts.

) To avoid B-12 deficiency, vegans should regularly consume vitamin B-12–fortified foods, such as fortified soy and rice beverages, certain breakfast cereals and meat analogs, and B-12–fortified nutritional yeast, or take a daily vitamin B-12 supplement. Fermented soy products, leafy vegetables, and seaweed cannot be considered a reliable source of active vitamin B-12. No unfortified plant food contains any significant amount of active vitamin B-12.

2) To ensure adequate calcium in the diet, calcium-fortified plant foods should be regularly consumed in addition to consuming the traditional calcium sources for a vegan (green leafy vegetables, tofu, tahini). The calcium-fortified foods include ready-to-eat cereals, calcium-fortified soy and rice beverages, calcium-fortified orange and apple juices, and other beverages. The bioavailability of the calcium carbonate in the soy beverages and the calcium citrate malate in apple or orange juice is similar to that of the calcium in milk (78, 79). Tricalcium phosphate–fortified soy milk was shown to have a slightly lower calcium bioavailability than the calcium in cow milk (78).

3) To ensure an adequate vitamin D status, especially during the winter, vegans must regularly consume vitamin D–fortified foods such as soy milk, rice milk, orange juice, breakfast cereals, and margarines that are fortified with vitamin D. Where fortified foods are unavailable, a daily supplement of 5–10 μg vitamin D would be necessary. The supplement would be highly desirable for elderly vegans.

4) A vegan should regularly consume plant foods naturally rich in the n–3 fatty acid ALA, such as ground flaxseed, walnuts, canola oil, soy products, and hemp seed–based beverages. In addition, it is recommended that vegans consume foods that are fortified with the long-chain n–3 fatty acid DHA, such as some soy milks and cereal bars. Those with increased requirements of long-chain n–3 fatty acids, such as pregnant and lactating women, would benefit from using DHA-rich microalgae supplements.

5) Because of the high phytate content of a typical vegan diet, it is important that a vegan consume foods that are rich in zinc, such as whole grains, legumes, and soy products, to provide a sufficient zinc intake. Benefit could also be obtained by vegans consuming fortified ready-to-eat cereals and other zinc-fortified foods.

Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015 11:26 am »

From the above, it results evident that a vegan must take B12 in fortified foods or supplements, unless he/she is willing to eat regularly food contaminated by fecal matter.

Vitamin D may be critical in highn latitudes

Calcium may be critical if not careful in choosing food

Omega-3 might be critical (true in lacto-ovo as well)

Iron and zinc are marginally critical if careful in choosing food (above all pumpkin seeds, spinachs, and so on)

The issue of non-heme iron appears in many sources to be almost judged as overstated. That is, vegetarians, if choose food adequately, if combine vitamin C with iron sources, are not iron-deficient.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015 11:31 am »

Again, from the above, it descends that a vegan diet is not a natural diet for the human being.

Since we are not living in a natural environment no more at least, taking supplements is a viable alternative.

The other alternative is to accept some cruelty inflicted to animals who did absolutely nothing to us.

My personal decision, right now, is to accept the cruelty. and eat milk and derivated products. This is mostly due to the fact that my present condition of minimal hunger and mild aversion to legumes might give rise to dietary  deficiencies without significant supplementation. Deficiencies in proteins might be also an ensue in my case, although I'm not perfectly sure about this.
Report Spam   Logged
Laila

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015 01:02 pm »

Mccoy, a good vegan diet is much healthier than you may think.   We don't have to accept the cruelty !!   You may find this video interesting …….

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 01:09 pm by Laila » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015 02:43 pm »

Although I find your info of interest..... i want to mention a couple things mccoy. Perhaps it is much different in Italy than living in the states. In Cloneland we have many nutrition drinks. Admittedly many of them have dairy products in them. I just drank a slim fast that is only 10 fluid ounces. It has 35% minimum daily requirement of B12 and 15% of zinc. Leila convinced me to go back to my vegan diet. Which to me means - no dairy foods - So unless I am eating out i have stopped eating cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, milk etc. I haven't touched meat or chicken in over 40 years. Fish only very very rarely and only if there is nothing else to eat. But i have yet to give up my vitamin fortified drinks which are loaded with minerals and vitamins. Perhaps some day they will have such drinks labeled vegan as well. But for now drinks like Bolthouse juices do have a limited amount of dairy products in them. Although I am leaning stronger towards the health drinks that are mostly, if not all, soy based.

I believe there was a reason that Krishna ate cheese and dairy products. But that was a different period i doubt very seriously that he would have supported an industry bent on cruelty. People seemed to have lived more in harmony with nature at that time and the Gopi ' s , with Krishna, took care of their own animals that fed them. This is my take on that period.

We are only beginning to recignize how the Christian Bible has so much conditioned us that we are blocked from the influence of other great religions. Here in Cloneland a good portion of the billboards have quotes from the Bible with references. So tell me friend... What will you choose eternity in hell or heaven? Jesus is coming soon. Make your choice now. Hell is REAL.

p.s. If Peter butchered fish we can too. If Jesus said bring the fattened calf... lets slaughter  and kill it and celebrate and have a feast . We can too. Rite? Just read the Bible you'll see.. eating meat was accepted. Look... i am so sick of having that book crammed down my throat that i hope I never meet another so called Christian again. Their thoughts are so one dimensional that they appear like a flat surface with no sides. I can't even imagine why we have problems with Arab nations and are at war with them!!!!!! We are coming into a new age.; The dwapara yuga let us put old ways aside and move forward out of the kali yuga.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 03:43 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015 09:06 pm »

Mccoy, a good vegan diet is much healthier than you may think.   We don't have to accept the cruelty !!   You may find this video interesting …….

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it, nice man Jim Morris.

I've practiced a vegan diet twice in my life.

First time around, it was 8 months. Very strict, no exceptions. I also ruled out tea, coffe, chocolate, any spices, salt.
I eventually lost the interest for food and started loosing weight. Health was good. I had no lusty thoughts whatsoever. I became practically asexual and I loved that. But the loss of weight started to concern me. I've never been overweight.

2nd time round, it was a real disaster. Raw veganism. I was convinced I could live on prana. I started 10 pounds underweight, I lost 25 more pounds in just a few months. I got anemia and felt Always weak. People would think I was using drugs. I dreamt about Sri Yukteswarki saying: "Why don't give the dog a bone?". That convinced me to quit. I've been close to death, I realized that then but it took time to climb uphill again, so much the body was mistreated.

Now I'm much more cautious. I eat what the body demands, little food, but I include yogurt, milk and cheese.

I find soy products tasteless. I cannot eat legumes. I do not use supplements. So a vegan diet would be a suicide for me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 09:11 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015 09:16 pm »

Steve, LOL, I cannot but encourage you, vegan diet has more pros than cons.

Besides, you're not at all being so strict as I was, I was an extremist in my Youth.

Yes, Jesus did not encourage actively vegetarianism, but Jesus lived 2000 years ago in a particular context. Like in all mediterranean countries, eat was consummed rarely and on holidays. The mediterranean diet was based heavily upon cereals, fruit, vegetables, legumes. Fish was for rich men and fishermen.

Christians do not discuss about this but it is so evident. In the context, they should eat meat only on sunday and fish on friday. That would mean adhering to the diet of Jesus and his disciples.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 09:17 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015 09:21 pm »

This is taken from a Christian site. A list of common food in Jesus' land. There is an abundance of vegetables. Also pls note, in all cultures, people who were not rich ate meat very sparingly. So Steve, next time around I would retort to Christians, telling them, since Jesus was a man who lived like the humble people lived in Galilee, he would eat like them, very little meat, little fish, a lot of vegetarian and plant-based foods.

Olives

Figs

Grapes

Lamb

Legumes/Lentils or Beans

Melons

Pomegranates

Dates

Nuts

Raisons

Milk

Cheese

Eggs

Cucumbers

List of Foods Jesus Ate

Fish (even after His resurrection)

Bread (even after His resurrection)

Honey (very likely)

Corn

Wheat

Wine (during Passover, likely though had no or very little alcoholic content)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 09:23 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015 09:34 pm »

another aspect which you cannot say to Christians but that we are aware of: the gospesl is what we have, wha has been selected and cut out by the Church. We have many more gospesl, liek the Essene gospel where Jesus is described as a vegetarian and requiring strict vegetarianism, even fruitaranism, from hsi disciples. I adhere to the Essene gospel and to the apocryphe gospels, not  just the official gospels of the Christian Church, which have been censored.

I found this very interesting site. Pls note what it is written in teh characters I boldened. Like Krishna, Jesus admitted milk but only from animals which were well cared and loved.
This source is interesting but it would tke some more research to validate it adequately, it comes from a vegan site.
Eating only the plant food which does not kill the plant seems very sensible to me. Why should we avoide cruelty towards animals and practice cruelty towards plants???

http://www.towardsfreedom.com/249.html

In the Essene New Testament, Jesus declares:

Verily I say unto you, they who partake of benefits which are gotten by wronging one of God's creatures, cannot be righteous: nor can they understand holy things, or teach the mysteries of the kingdom. whose hands are stained with blood or whose mouths are defiled with flesh....Wherefore I say unto all who desire to be my disciples, keep your hands from bloodshed and let no flesh meat enter your mouths.

We see above that Jesus required vegetarianism from anyone who desired to become his disciple. Likewise, we read in another verse from the same manuscript:

A disciple of Jesus asked him a question, saying, "Master, if there come to us any that eat flesh... shall we receive them?"
And Jesus said unto him, let such abide in the outer court till they cleanse themselves from these grosser evils; for till they perceive, and repent of these, they are not fit to receive the higher mysteries.

Of course, Jesus practiced what he preached; he was himself a vegetarian. In fact, in the following verse he describes himself not only as a vegetarian, but as an Essene Fruitarian. Before sharing that verse with you, I will briefly define the term Essene Fruitarian (a bit later we will more fully define it). An Essene Fruitarian eats only the parts of a plant that can be eaten without killing the plant. This includes obvious fruits such as apples and oranges, but also includes anything else you can eat without killing the plant: squash, corn, cucumbers, etc. We will expand on this definition soon, but let us now consider the following verse in which Jesus describes himself not only as a vegetarian, but as an Essene Fruitarian:

For of the fruits of the trees and the seeds of the earth alone do I partake, and these are changed by the Spirit into my flesh and my blood. Of these alone and their like shall ye eat who believe in me, and are my disciples, for of these, in the Spirit, come life and health and healing unto man.

In the above excerpt, the term "and their like" refers to "other similar vegetarian foods" ; but it is quite clear that though Jesus only required basic vegetarianism from new disciples, he certainly strongly encouraged his veteran disciples to go on to become Essene fruitarians. That is made clear in the following excerpt from The Essene New Testament; Jesus said:

God giveth the grains and the fruits of the earth for food; and for righteous man truly there is no other lawful sustenance for the body.... For God is just and bountiful who ordaineth that man shall live by the fruits and seeds of the earth alone.

Now a more detailed definition of the term Essene Fruitarian. We have already stated that an Essene Fruitarian eats only the part of a plant that can be eaten without killing the plant. Thus, not only the typical "fruits" can be eaten -- grapefruit, grapes, figs, dates, etc. -- but also corn, squash, broccoli, almonds, sunflower seeds, AND ANY OTHER VEGETARIAN FOOD YOU CAN EAT WITHOUT KILLING THE PLANT . Lettuce can be eaten if harvested correctly : simply pick the outer leaves of the lettuce, rather than uproot the plant. The lettuce will continue to grow more leaves and you can continue to harvest the outer leaves every few days. Eventually it will go to seed; you can harvest the seed for your next planting. Even grains such as wheat can be eaten, since it is not necessary to uproot the grass to harvest the grain. Although many Essene Fruitarians will choose to be vegan (a vegan is a vegetarian who eats no animal products at all, including dairy products), it is possible to eat dairy products on this diet since the animal is not killed and the milk comes from grass that need not be uprooted. However, it is important that the dairy product be from animals that are loved and well cared for, and that the animals are not killed when they grow old and non-productive. Jesus permitted his Essene Fruitarian disciples to have milk products; but in those days that meant RAW milk from animals you or your neighbors loved and cared for, as they had no cruel factory dairy farms back then. And the milk would have been from sheep or goats, not cows. The milk of sheep and goats is far easier to digest than the milk of a cow. The milk you buy at a typical grocery store in modern America IS NOT THE MILK ENDORSED BY JESUS! Grocery store milk is not raw, is not from animals well cared for, and is not from sheep or goats. Again, one can choose to be a vegan Essene Fruitarian. But in order to support my assertion that Jesus permitted his disciples to use RAW dairy products, I quote from The Essene Gospel of Peace:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 09:39 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015 09:48 pm »

Steve, you can also cite Genesis and thell them Christian that God wish in the bible is that man and woman be vegan:

GOD said, "I give YOU all the seed-bearing plants that are upon the earth, and all the trees with seed bearing fruit; this shall be your food" (Genesis 1:29)

Jsut to avoid any criticism about the correct translation, in this site there are many alternative, translations. All of'em in substance support a vegetarian (even vegan) devised by God for man.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015 09:57 pm »

It is interesting to read the interpretation of Genesis 1:29 from teh carnivores and Mcdonalds. What is clear and undisputable though, is that the first man and woman, the purest expression of God's creation, before the original sin, were vegans.

So, a ready answer to Christians would be: I'm follwing Adam and Eve's vegan diet, as ordained by God and detailed in Genesis 1:29. It just appears that it beats your carnivorous diet practiced after the fall and disgrace of man. Meat eating is for sinners! .

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

And God said,.... That is, to Adam and Eve, whom he had made in his image and likeness, and to whom he had given the dominion of the earth and sea, and all things in them:

behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth; every herb or plant which had a seed in it, by which it sowed itself again; or being taken off, might be sown by man, even everyone that was wholesome, healthful, and nourishing, without any exception; whatever grew in any part of the earth, be it where it would:

and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; all but the tree of knowledge, of good and evil, afterwards excepted; and both these take in all kind of vegetables, all herbs, plants, roots, even corn, wheat, barley, pease, beans, &c. and the various fruits of all sorts of trees, but that before mentioned:

to you it shall be for meat: which is generally thought to be the food of the antediluvians (n), it not being proper, at least very soon, to kill any of the animals, until they were multiplied and increased, lest their species should be destroyed; though here is no prohibition of eating flesh; nor is it said that this only should be for meat, which is before mentioned; and by the early employment of some in keeping sheep, and by the sacrifice of creatures immediately after the fall, part of which used to be eaten by the offerers; and by the distinction of clean and unclean creatures before the flood, it looks probable that flesh might be eaten: and Bochart (o) refers this clause to what goes before in the preceding verse, as well as to what is in this, and takes the sense to be, that the fishes of the sea, and fowls of the air, and every living creature man had dominion over, as well as herbs and fruits, were given him for his food: but the Jews (p) are of opinion, that the first man might not eat flesh, but it was granted to the sons of Noah. (From Romans 5:12 there was no death before Adam's sin, hence up until at least the fall, man did not eat meat. Ed.) (n) "Panis erant primus virides Mortalibus Herbae", Ovid. Fast. l. 4. (o) Hierozoic. par. 1. l. 1. c. 2. col. 11. (p) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 59. 2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 09:59 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015 10:19 pm »

Was Jesus actually a vegetarian? was the bible altered by meat eaters? Maybe!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Iv3uU2YY6pM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Report Spam   Logged
guest58
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015 10:40 pm »

Mccoy might be jealous because Steve turned into Hercules on a vegan diet!
Report Spam   Logged
Laila

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015 11:36 pm »

Hallelujah !!!   It looks like there may be hope for the Christians after all !!    Cheesy   I've been a PETA member for years (no surprise), but didn't realize til now that there is a sub-group called "Jesus People for Animals".   Shock !!     Take a look …. and don't miss the video at the bottom ……..

http://www.jesuspeopleforanimals.com

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015 11:45 pm by Laila » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015 11:49 pm »

Mccoy might be jealous because Steve turned into Hercules on a vegan diet!

LOL, yes, while I lost weight he turned almost into a Phil Heath clone, that's unfair!!!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: