Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 01:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Lahiri Mahasaya and kids

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lahiri Mahasaya and kids  (Read 334 times)
SpiritImage

« on: Jul 09, 2015 05:04 am »

Kids seem like a rarity in the saint world.

Lahiri is one of the few that had a family.

I often wonder how to handle many situations with kids, and often it seems I am wrong. *sigh*

Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2015 12:24 pm »

True, Sri Yukteswar had just one female daughter before becoming a monk, the other great masters, no family at all.

Lahiri Mahasaya was an exceptional example and probably his mission was to show that you can be a master with overwhelming powers and at the same time serve society as an humble government worker and householder. I'm really stunned by it because it would seem just impossible.

By your last sentence do you mean you have kids and do not know how to handle situations the right way? In that case most probably you are among the many with such an issue.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2015 12:25 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2015 11:46 pm »

By your last sentence do you mean you have kids and do not know how to handle situations the right way? In that case most probably you are among the many with such an issue.

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way sometimes. Being a parent in this day and age and trying to keep another soul/ego on track is very delicate. I mean, look how we turned out. *rimshot*
Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2015 06:36 am »

There seems to be a 2-4 year span, about from 14-18 years of age, when most of us go thru a change.

I remember I wanted to do what I wanted to do. I did not like authority. Still don't, really.

I feel that times are different now. We have built a world (at least in this country) that is all about convenience. And kids are growing up with that much more than in my day. It makes most kids very apathetic when they hit this stage. Very lazy.

And to be a parent trying to teach responsibility, organization, planning, etc., it just doesn't fly. People in this country want everything for free, and work is a dirty word.

I believe modern technology and conveniences have a huge role in this. People worked 100 years ago. There was hardly any obesity 100 years ago.

Sometimes newer != better.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2015 12:37 pm »

SI, it's interesting how I, you and Steve have very different situations.

Steve is a single, no kids, has not such a problem at all, I wish I were in his place in some aspects.

You have one or more kids and are struggling with the best way to raise and discipline them, really not an easy task.

I have one autistic kid, where the rules and the concerns are totally different. An average autistic kid (ruling out aspergers) is in between a dog and a human being, behaviourally speaking. He'll never be totally independent. The challenge is to implement the right behavioural therapy and in this aspect I've been pretty lucky to make the right choices.

This also creates a feeling of a particularly strong group karma. I, my wife and my kid are a karmic triplet which is supposed to make tremendous karmic gains by sticking together.

All families are in a way karmic schools.

It is clear that Steve also wanted to create a sort of spiritual family in this forum. I believe he's reaching what he wished. This forum probably will never be a busy one, but it will be one with a strong karmic bond between its frequent users.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2015 12:41 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2015 06:00 am »

Well part of the difficulty is that I wasn't really on a "path" until about 2 years ago. If I would've started sooner, my bet is the kid situation now would be very different, and likely better than it is. Oh well, part of the learning school.

Your situation sounds especially challenging. wow.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2015 02:28 pm »

Well part of the difficulty is that I wasn't really on a "path" until about 2 years ago. If I would've started sooner, my bet is the kid situation now would be very different, and likely better than it is. Oh well, part of the learning school.
Your situation sounds especially challenging. wow.

Kids can be receptive to early taching but can also rebel to such teachings later on, so nothing really can be taken for granted. Psychology says the early environment is everything, we know though that karma governs.

In my case, I couldn't have been happier to start teaching meditation to my son at an early age, I actually was planning it. Alas, autistic people are not amenable to abstractions, so my plans became totally useless.

Sometimes people are able to raise kids in an optimal and mutually rewarding way, when suddenly death occurs and the kid is drawn back implacably in the astral plane.

One couple which I know, with an autistic daughter, had another try at mating. The newborn baby turned out to be mongoloid. He may even display autistic traits on top of it.

That's how karma works. For every difficult situation there is an even more difficult one.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015 02:31 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: