Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 06:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

New article on global warming

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New article on global warming  (Read 1133 times)
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2015 01:48 pm »

It was a very bad surprise to know that professor hansen supports nuclear power plants instead of fossil fuel plants. Alternative energy means clean energy, which means eolic power, photovoltaic and other presently less popular plants. My comments:

One more risk-related point. Professor Hansen is against fossil fuels but supports the use of nuclear power. Too easy!!  I would never exchange CO2 pollution for the sneakier and deadly radioactive pollution. Maybe Professor Hansen forgets that some states are small and with a high population density. The Fukushima disaster in Japan has affected whole communities. I cringe if I think what would happen in Italy, where efficiency and controls are much more relaxed than in Japan; In Italy luckily nuclear power has been outlawed by overwhelming direct polls. Seismic, densely populated areas, pose serious safety problems to the use of nuclear power, with risks which may outweigh the risk of inundation caused by sea level rise. This issue just reinforces my belief that Professor Hansen’s opinions may carry a hefty bias. He says, let’s close up coal plants and let’s open up more nuclear power plants. Let’s swap one kind of risk for another. Now he should provide a very detailed risk analysis which considers the very high risk of exceptional events and of more frequent leaks in the atmosphere and in the water masses. The Japanese coined the word ‘Tsunami’, yet they could not guarantee the safety of the Fukushima plant, which was exposed to the recurring and historically well known phenomenon of Tsunami inundation.

From Wikipedia, ‘James Hansen’
In March 2013, James Hansen co-authored a paper in Environmental Science & Technology, entitled "Prevented mortality and greenhouse gas emissions from historical and projected nuclear power". The paper examined mortality levels per unit of electrical power produced from fossil fuels(coal and natural gas) as well as nuclear power. It estimated that 1.8 million lives were saved worldwide, between 1971 and 2009, through the use of nuclear power instead of fossil fuels. Hansen also concluded that the emission of some 64 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent were avoided by nuclear power use between 1971 and 2009. Looking to the future, between 2010 and 2050, it was estimated that nuclear could additionally avoid up to 80 to 240 billion tonnes.[93]
This paper elicited a response to criticize Hansen's analysis, from those who have historically advocated against nuclear power in general and dedicated themselves to other low carbon power technologies, including Benjamin Sovacool and Mark Z. Jacobson.[94] Hansen and his initial co-author then countered each of their attempts at rebutting his paper and rigorously displayed that all the data these scientists use to make their criticism, "lacks credibility".[95]
In 2013, with three other leading experts, Hansen was co-author of an open letter to policy makers, which stated that "continued opposition to nuclear power threatens humanity's ability to avoid dangerous climate change."[96]
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015 01:49 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2015 07:59 pm »

I think many of us have to make our own decisions in life.
In my experience scientists are very biased towards there own opinions.

I remember becoming a vegetarian some 40+ years ago.
The current scientific studies of that time supported eating meat. Had i listened to them i may have had the same health problems that other meat eaters have today. Now we are seeing a very different outlook. I remember being in front of a huge class of students and an astronomer/scientist belittled astrology by reading quotes out of the tabloids. Had i listened to him i would have never understood the advanced understanding of the yugas that Sri Yukteswar spoke of. I remember another behavioral scientist saying that a women's psychic hunches, which proved true, were nothing more then superstitious behavior. Had I listened to him I may have never believed my own hunches. Nor do we need scientists to know that strip malls and more and more people are destroying the wet lands cutting down trees and paving the earth where there was once nature.

But i do listen to Master's and Amma has told us that the way we are treating this planet is the most important world issue of our times even more so then wars and conflicts. Fossil fuels will not last forever. We will need to find more and more alternative and renewable energy sources. We do not need scientists to let us know all the huge oil spills that have taken place around the globe and the destruction in the aftermath. We do not need scientists to see the heavy smog in the air of many of our cities. We do not need scientists to know we can no longer swim in our major rivers. It is quite clear they are polluted. We do not need scientists to know that we used to be able to see clearly at the bottom of lakes and now we can't. We do not need scientists to tell us why the water looks cleaner and you can see the bottom of the lakes and rivers the farther north you go (less people). We do not need scientists to recognize that the snow is not as long lasting and deep as it was when we were children. We do not need scientists to look out on the Great Lakes and see water where there was once ice.

All these things have happened in one very, very, very, small period of time-my life time. That is a frightening thought. It doesn't take much to read the signs of the times. We do not need to wait for scientists  to recognize the importance of techniques like the iam and kriya meditation techniques. If we wait for scientists we will die before all of them concur about the destruction we are wreaking  on this planet with pollutants and old and outdated forms of energy. If we wait for scientists it may be life times till we are liberated. We must follow our own wisdom otherwise others will lead us on a path we had never wanted to go.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2015 03:01 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2015 01:36 am »

Physical scientists are clearly limited by measurable entities, although some of 'em can do some incredible mental leaps and grasp hidden metaphysical truths.

By definition though, physical science cannot deal with metaphysical truths. Although what physical science proved is that reality is not what we see, hear or feel and that there is a considerable degree of uncertainty related to some characteristic of the basic components of matter.

The nobel prize Eugen wigner said that the collapse of the wave function (the freezing of the electronic cloud to a distinct and certain sensorial experience) is given by consciousness.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2015 01:03 pm »

Another warning on a melting Groenland glacier, which could rise sea level up to 2 feet in a few years. The process is presently unstoppable according to the glaciologists.

In the face of such events, I wonder if it would be more sensible to start evacuation measures of coastal areas and take up new strategies of urban development inland. Regardless of what we do now, due to thermal buffering effects, if the disaster scenarios are even partly true, disaster will hit anyway, making nearly uninhabitable most of Florida, New York and all coastal cities in the world.

This means less land and resources for an already overcrowded world.  We should prepare to a war economy, environmental issues will be of little interest in front of survival issues.

Such are the obvious concerns raised by some scientific articles.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/nov/12/collapsing-greenland-glacier-could-raise-sea-levels-by-half-a-metre-say-scientists
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2015 01:04 pm by mccoy » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2015 01:34 pm »

I became aware that the timeline of sea rise level announced in the linked article by Mouginot et al. is not at all clear. To such regard, a discussion on the risk analysis webgroup underlined that the rise would amount to about one milimeter per decade. Now that's only a single glacier, but it would  take 10 000 glaciers melting in the same way to cause an annual rise of one meter. There are not so many large glaciers melting quickly I reckon. The article as usual was presented in a sensationalist fashion. I'm goign to post the comments of a member of the riskanalysis group.

It would be nice if somebody gave an estimate of the time it will take to raise sea level various amounts from this glacier melting.  Maybe the actual research paper gave that?  But, the link was to a media outlet that seems to specialize in sensationalism.
So, when will the water at the end of my mother's dock be deep enough for me to get my sailboat there to tie-up?  And when will it be so deep that we will need to evacuate my mother and abandon her house?  Her lifetime? My lifetime?
Of course, I don't expect that even experts can predict that with enough accuracy and reliability to make it useful for planning the rest of MY life.  Average numbers for sea level rise aren't much use in planning if the variations around the average are large.  If this glacier continues to melt at its current rate, I don't think it will affect me seriously in my lifetime.  BUT, if it "collapses" in the sense of sliding into the ocean from the land as well as melting, then it MIGHT raise sea level by a lot in just a few years.
There are ALWAYS things to worry about because they MIGHT happen.  Risk assessment is supposed to help us focus on the ones that we need to be spending the most effort on dealing with.  We seem to be missing some important inputs for such assessments with respect to global warming / sea level rise.  Putting all of our efforts into trying to eliminate the HAZARD seems unwise, especiall since geology tells us that the same hazard exists WITHOUT human activities.  The human activites are at most affecting the probabilities and timelines.
Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2015 06:39 pm »

IMO, if sea level rises there's really too many variables to estimate future levels on a particular square mile of beach.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2015 10:02 pm »

I do not understand y it takes some people so long to recognize we have a problem. Some will just not listen to Amma the Dali lama. There warnings and for sight has been clear for sometime. Everything will b changing dramatically on this earth of our off spring are to live here.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2015 10:03 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
SpiritImage

« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2015 10:48 pm »

I do not understand y it takes some people so long to recognize we have a problem. Some will just not listen to Amma and the Dali lama. There warnings and for sight has been clear for sometime. Everything will b changing dramatically on this earth if our off spring are to live here.

And that's the way it's been since who knows. More than ever a reason to effect a way not to come back here.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2015 12:30 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: