Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 06:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Sri Yukteswar

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sri Yukteswar  (Read 968 times)
YoginiMoon

« on: Sep 05, 2017 04:19 am »

My favorite chapter, hands down, in AoY is "Years in my master's hermitage".  I completely fell in love with Sri Yukteswar when I first read it, and I still am.  While I doubt I could have lasted 5 minutes under his tutelage, I love Sri Yukteswar very dearly.  I've read biographies of Sri Yukteswar by some of this other disciples.  They all say he was stern and tough, but really loving, and always had his disciples' best interests at heart.   He was greatly loved by his students.  One thing I was struck by was that he accepted women as disciples, too, or at least he initiated them into kriya yoga.  Lahiri Mahasaya did the same thing.  I wonder if they were unique in initiating women, especially back in the 19th century.

While the chapter on Sri Yukteswar's resurrection was fascinating, I have to say I was a little bit put off by some of it.  I really and truly wonder whether someone like Sri Yukestwar would have been talking about fairies and nymphs in the astral world.  That sounded like something Yogananda's editor, Laurie Pratt (Tara Mata) might have added.  It read to me much more like a spiritually star-struck woman rather than a grizzled spiritual warrior like Sri Yukteswar.  But that's just me, and what came through loud and clear in that chapter was Yogananda's absolute joy at seeing Sri Yukteswar again.

I mentioned in my introduction that my oldest brother was an SRF member and got me into the path I'm on; I view him as my first guru.  He died 40 years ago in a car crash.  When I re-read Yogananda's account of seeing Sri Yukteswar again, I think of the heart melting joy I would feel if my brother John appeared to me.  A few years after John died, his widow gave me a few of his effects.  One was a shirt.  It still smelled like John (Yogananda describes Sri Yukteswar's scent in the resurrection chapter).  My heart almost stopped.  I slept with that shirt for weeks.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: