Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 01:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

shannon

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: shannon  (Read 2403 times)
Shannon
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2016 01:05 am »

Hola! Not sure I understand the issue.  Do you mean sharing one photo repository between two boards?  The images at Yoganandaji are housed using a photo module for Drupal, and reside on the same dedicated server the board does.  The main site was actually built using Drupal (most people don't go through the main door, but there is an entire website on top of the board that has articles, photos, etc).   The board itself is using vBullitin.  The two work well together, and have been designed to be sympatico. I think you could link to images in that repository and have them appear elsewhere, but merging the two sites isn't really feasable. If you like, you could upload images there and have them appear in your header here.  Would have to look into that.  To be honest, I haven't touched my site since going to France.  I've forgotten even how to do basic things.  Need to refresh my own memory.

I began building websites and using the web in 1996. After that, my husband and I built a web hosting company with customers all over the world which we operated for the next ten years.  At one point we had over 1,000 customers.  All this to say, I have a lot of experience interacting with people on the web!  On my journey, I have found that when people don't respond to a post or an e-mail, it is best to assume innocence and not make assumptions.  There are dozens of reasons people don't reply immediately if at all; being disinterested in only one of them.  For instance, it is possible they did not see it, or if they did they did not have the time to reply at that moment, or perhaps they were choosing their words or contemplating what was written, etc.  Each person has their own unique communication style.  As for me, because of the business, I got a little burned out on the internet for awhile.  People, complete strangers, can send you long letters, ask questions, demand answers, etc - often without invitation.  At one point when I was an Admin on a poetry site I dreaded checking my inbox because I always had dozens of letters demanding a personal response.  Indepth getting to know yoou letters!  And that was supposed to be 'free' time!  In work, I had hundreds each day.  I also loathe the phone for that reason.  I still get an ache in my gut when I hear a phone ring, even now - because I had to be at beck and call 24/7 for so many years - usually for people who did not appreciate they were just one of many asking for something of me in my small world.  Ha ha.  I recentlly made a friend locally who is very nice, but she is a text-a-holic.  If I don't reply immediately to a text, her feelings get hurt.  I find that controlling.  I try to please her, but I have to be me, right?  Wonder if others have the same issues.

Peace out, s.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2016 07:05 am »

Shannon The only questions i found in your last post were about being u and the other one asking if others have the same issues. Yes i have had some of the same issues. Mostly related to communication with others. There r so many methods of communication these days;

1. phone
2. letter
3. text
4. email
5. personally being with someone
6. skype

This is to name a few. What i have found is that many of my friends will not communicate here on the Portal but like to text, text, text. They all have there excuses 'i don't do forums.' 'My computer is having problems.' 'Lost the password' etc. etc.  i will communicate the way other friends will communicate but isn't it fair then that they should do the same? Some do not feel the obligation to b fair. My God if i were to call or text all the people i know i would b on the phone nite and day. So forums r for me a good way of knowing more people. U can reach many more people. But if we want to be friends with others we need to respect their preferences in communication. If it does not work both ways someone will feel short changed.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2016 12:35 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2016 04:48 pm »

I began building websites and using the web in 1996. After that, my husband and I built a web hosting company with customers all over the world which we operated for the next ten years.  At one point we had over 1,000 customers.  All this to say, I have a lot of experience interacting with people on the web!  On my journey, I have found that when people don't respond to a post or an e-mail, it is best to assume innocence and not make assumptions.  There are dozens of reasons people don't reply immediately if at all; being disinterested in only one of them.  For instance, it is possible they did not see it, or if they did they did not have the time to reply at that moment, or perhaps they were choosing their words or contemplating what was written, etc.  Each person has their own unique communication style.  As for me, because of the business, I got a little burned out on the internet for awhile.  People, complete strangers, can send you long letters, ask questions, demand answers, etc - often without invitation.  At one point when I was an Admin on a poetry site I dreaded checking my inbox because I always had dozens of letters demanding a personal response.  Indepth getting to know yoou letters!  And that was supposed to be 'free' time!  In work, I had hundreds each day.  I also loathe the phone for that reason.  I still get an ache in my gut when I hear a phone ring, even now - because I had to be at beck and call 24/7 for so many years - usually for people who did not appreciate they were just one of many asking for something of me in my small world.  Ha ha.  I recentlly made a friend locally who is very nice, but she is a text-a-holic.  If I don't reply immediately to a text, her feelings get hurt.  I find that controlling.  I try to please her, but I have to be me, right?  Wonder if others have the same issues.

Peace out, s.

Your opinion has been noted Shannon. However  would  u  also take mine into consideration? If u do not take the view that people r not currently interested u run a large risk of waking a venomous snake from a pit in the ground. i had one who even acted as though i was stalking her. When in fact i was simply being friendly as we had been for years in the past.

So i find it better to b safe then sorry. It is hard to know what lurks in the head of someone that isolates themselves or simply does not communicate. It is better to leave them alone until they show signs of interest and kindness.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2016 05:03 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2016 05:30 pm »

Jeff

It would b interesting to hear what Shannon thoughts are on this issue. Perhaps she will respond. It seems to me that it is nice to get to know one another better. It is very difficult for me to have administrators here on this forum without even being able to contact them and talk to them by phone. The main emphasis here is not business but rather spiritual affinity and divine friendship. i have seen people--even here--who seem to forget what the purpose is and engage in divisive activity. If we cannot agree to disagree it become a challenge. This issue goes beyond the current theme of this thread.

I have given you my number more than once, if you lost it let me know. I agree the intent is spiritual. But again, I say the immediate need is to move this site to another host that is reliable, likely will have to pump the data into a different forum, not SMF, and then think about merges and features. Steps at a time, instead of one large one.

Yes Jeff i have your number. In fact i called u last nite but the phone just rang and there was no voice mail. Your view here seems quite different then the view u held last time we talked. U had the view that we had a good thing going with SMF. This is an about face so i will most likely need to talk with u. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2016 05:32 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
SpiritImage

« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2016 06:45 pm »

Also it does not appear to me that this site has an SSL certificate, for logging in. Unless I'm not seeing some kind of module used when logging in. If not, passwords are being transmitted in the clear, which can easily be stolen. It also appears yoganandaji and yogananda.net do not either, as many of these forums do not. I guess they figure if the admin password is accessed, it's no big deal.

Example costs for godaddy:

$10 for domain transfer.
$48 per year for hosting for 3 years
$55 for 3 years SSL certificate.

Not bad really, but more than what you pay now I think. Also this SMF forum would have to be ported to a different forum engine, whatever that may end up being. My preference is something in .NET, not the standard PHP that is used for most all these forums nowadays.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2016 07:10 pm »

Thank You for investigating. i have had many challenges with the gallery section of our forum. i am currently discussing this with SMF.: One of these is Shannon's paintings mysteriously disappearing. i was not too happy about that! Also limited space.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Shannon
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2016 11:48 pm »

vbulliten (the software used for yoganandaji) hashes all passwords before submission.  Anyone trying to snoop would only see the hash.  Such is built into the software.  Perhaps the software here is similar, I don't know - am not familiar with it.  Encrypting the entire site when we collect no critical data (credit cards, etc) is overkill, methinks. SSLs are a lot cheaper now than they used to be, but I also believe in keeping it simple.  :-).
Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2016 12:02 am »

vbulliten (the software used for yoganandaji) hashes all passwords before submission.  Anyone trying to snoop would only see the hash.  Such is built into the software.  Perhaps the software here is similar, I don't know - am not familiar with it.  Encrypting the entire site when we collect no critical data (credit cards, etc) is overkill, methinks. SSLs are a lot cheaper now than they used to be, but I also believe in keeping it simple.  :-).

The password is hashed when inserted into the database, but the encryption of the password from my machine to the server during login is not, as far as I can tell, if so, I would like to see proof.

SSL is simple as can be. I have had no issues, slowdowns, or any problem. Stealing an admin password would be an issue, for me anyways.
Report Spam   Logged
b
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2016 02:15 am »

And just to add my 10 cents...I agree with Shannon that SSL might be overkill but it wouldn't hurt if you want to pay extra. The SMF software looks to be built on ASP.NET not php. I assume you all aren't prepared to rebuild the software in php, so if you want to the SMF software the hosting plan will need to support running an ASP.NET application. Vbulletin, Shannon's site, is php software. I know what types of software these are because I have a chrome extension called 'BuiltWith' that tells you what kinds of things a site is built from.

(I have been learning web development for the past 2 years so it's funny to see y'all talking about all of this.) SpiritImage you are very knowledgable do you own a website?
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2016 02:20 am by b » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2016 02:49 am »

And just to add my 10 cents...I agree with Shannon that SSL might be overkill but it wouldn't hurt if you want to pay extra. The SMF software looks to be built on ASP.NET not php. I assume you all aren't prepared to rebuild the software in php, so if you want to the SMF software the hosting plan will need to support running an ASP.NET application. Vbulletin, Shannon's site, is php software. I know what types of software these are because I have a chrome extension called 'BuiltWith' that tells you what kinds of things a site is built from.

(I have been learning web development for the past 2 years so it's funny to see y'all talking about all of this.) SpiritImage you are very knowledgable do you own a website?

Well while we wait for Jeff's answer. i just want to say that i thought you have learned quite a bit about the internet yourself Brock. Hope you will put up another scene here like you did before> It was great!
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
b
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2016 03:13 am »

Well while we wait for Jeff's answer. i just want to say that i thought you have learned quite a bit about the internet yourself Brock. Hope you will put up another scene here like you did before> It was great!

That's nice of you to say, Steve. I have learned some things but the internet is an overwhelming ocean of things to learn. It's amazing how complex it all is.
Report Spam   Logged
Shannon
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2016 04:39 am »

*catching up on previous posts*

Steve, the owl painting is really different - I've noticed it before.  The eyes are almost eerie.  You are blessed to have been given it.  I am sorry to hear the person who gave it to you died soon after.   Sad

I am not sure what you mean about venomous snakes, but am guessing maybe you mean you attempted to continually contact someone with no response and they got angry at you for continuing to contact them?  I can see how such an experience would make one twice shy.  I've never lived that.  I have a cousin who cut me off ages ago.  I still have no idea why.  We were penpals for years and years.  I can't be angry with her - she must have a good reason even though I don't know what it is. She is a good person. I just give her space.  Maybe she will clue me in one day.  If that is the type of thing you are talking about, I get it.   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2016 05:44 am »

*catching up on previous posts*

Steve, the owl painting is really different - I've noticed it before.  The eyes are almost eerie.  You are blessed to have been given it.  I am sorry to hear the person who gave it to you died soon after.   Sad

I am not sure what you mean about venomous snakes, but am guessing maybe you mean you attempted to continually contact someone with no response and they got angry at you for continuing to contact them?  I can see how such an experience would make one twice shy.  I've never lived that.  I have a cousin who cut me off ages ago.  I still have no idea why.  We were penpals for years and years.  I can't be angry with her - she must have a good reason even though I don't know what it is. She is a good person. I just give her space.  Maybe she will clue me in one day.  If that is the type of thing you are talking about, I get it.   Smiley

Shannon what can u tell me about the art work in this painting? Is it rather simple but somehow really grabs u?

It rather perplexes me that u seem to want to continue rather personal sentiments thru the public eye and not in a private context. i am not against it. It just seems difficult to know when i expose too much. It is rather a new way of communicating...these forums... we r developing discrimination and learning along the way...in all our communication.

You can apologize about comments made between u and someone u have known for sometime and try to understand another human being that u have been very close with... however sometimes it is not within them to accept this facet of your intentions. They remain determined to take you down. This kind of inner anger and unkind resentment... where does it originate? Can a human being that is making a conscious effort on the spiritual path really b responsible for another persons indignation??

It would b better if things were this way:

If you want to go
you can really go
Sent you
i sent you on your way

i saw here yesterday
She said that life was great
and everything was goin fine
she said " i wanna know"
Do you still go
and play every nite?
i said i understand.
You have a new man
and your with him
all of the time.
i guess we made a trade
and all that i can say
is our mistakes
turned out alrite

i said i wanna know
do you love me so?
Or am i just wastin my time?
i said u know me
i never disagree
with anything u have to say
i guess i need my space
a little time away
before i can say
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016 02:59 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
SpiritImage

« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2016 06:49 am »

SSL protects the password when transmitted over the wire. There is no overkill when it comes to security, but IME most folks do not understand, do not wish to understand, or simply do not care based on others' thoughts and based on many other sites that have "never had a problem". (famous last words).

This site I'm 99.99% sure it is PHP server side code. Most all these forums are. Why? Because it's also free. BuiltWith may show you the web server software used (which by the way can be obfuscated), in this case they may be using IIS which is Microsoft which might well imply .NET. However, it's simple to install PHP.exe on an IIS server.

No I don't own a website, and I hope I never do.

Report Spam   Logged
SpiritImage

« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2016 06:59 am »

Also I would add that I wouldn't plan on rebuilding. Godaddy hosting accepts most any server side language you want to run, .NET, PHP, Java, etc.,

It's all about money though in the end for most folks. That's usually the case.

If you want a forum with nice features, flexible (meaning you can add custom code without huge hassle), no ads, etc., it will not be free. Either keep SMF and host it elsewhere, or host it elsewhere and port the data to a new engine. Some of the nicer ones I've seen lately use XenForo, for example.

Or leave it here and meditate for the best. This board and others like it are really small potatoes, they get a handful of posts each day, if that. You have to weigh the ROI.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: