Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 04:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Desire

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desire  (Read 956 times)
guest88
« on: Jul 10, 2019 10:57 pm »

Question: When Buddha said that we should have no desire, did he mean that we should have the attitude of a saint?

Answer: The Buddha never said that you should have no desire. The Buddha spoke of 'the man who has no desire'. It never was the principle of Buddha that you must not have a desire; Buddha was too wise to commit himself like this. What is meant is that we must develop so that one day we may reach to that stage where naturally we shall have no desires. But if we have a desire and say, 'Because Buddha has said that we must have no desire, therefore we must throw it away', it is working against ourselves. It is just like a man who, having heard that a saint had lived without food for a very, very long time and had experienced exaltation, would say, 'Well, I shall give up my lunch every day if I can become spiritual by it '. He may just as well have his lunch because he feels hungry. The one who went without food was not hungry, he had risen above it. We must have principles according to our stage of evolution, and never take principles higher than our stage of evolution, forcing ourselves to abide by them.
https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/XIV/XIV_6.htm
Hmm.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: