Spiritual Portal
Apr 20, 2024 01:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Vulnerability

Recent Items

Views: 2
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 9
Comments (0)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vulnerability  (Read 1781 times)
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2016 11:27 pm »

Good points.  Smiley
Below is a link to a TED talk on the topic of vulnerability and how being vulnerable is actually a show of strength not weakness and frailty.  It is an interesring study.  The video is about 20 minutes.  It is the framework I had in mind when thinking about this topic.  McCoy, if you warch it, I'd love to know your thoughts e.g. if it influenced you to see vulnerability any differently.

Shannon, I had to get back and look up the definition since the talk at first tended to confound me, the subject was approached not directly at first. Vulnerability, from latin vulnus= wound, in Brene Brown's talk is equated to weakness, uncertainty, fear, insecurity. I would say the show of strenght lies not in being vulnerable, it lies in not being too much concerned about your vulnerabilities.
Concern may create tension and unnatural behaviour which is eventually detrimental to achievements. I believe the bottom line in the talk is that one.

With the above premises, I can say I do have weaknesses and I nurture uncertainties but I do not much mind them, or at least try not to mind them.

My final answer to Shannon is that, in the TED talk context, recognizing a vulnerability and trying your best just the same is sure a show of strenght or at least of imperturbability.

I do not rule out conquering or controlling the vulnerabilities though, or just not aknowledging them. Mere numbing is negative, whereas reasoned evaluation and remediation if possible is positive
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: