Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 06:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Shivaratri

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shivaratri  (Read 285 times)
b
« on: Mar 08, 2016 02:12 am »

Tonight is Shivaratri, or "night of Shiva". According to an email i received, it is the night in which the moon is farthest from the earth. Rituals are observed from sundown tonight to sunrise tomorrow morning. I think in mythological symbolism the moon has some association with the ego. I will be observing it tonight in my own way, either setting myself aside to meditate or reading some words from my Guru or both.

I have always been superficially attracted to Shiva. One reason is because he looks so cool. Another is that he is that he is a symbol for yogis. Shiva is the personal deity that people might put prayers to, whereas Shivam is understood to be the formless consciousness of Shiva. Here is a verse from Guru Vachaka Kovai which I will share here on this Shivaratri.

151. Siva shines within each jiva as the witness, enabling him to experience his prarabdha through Siva's presence. Whoever knows his nature to be mere being-consciousness, without imagining through ignorance that he is the experiencer of prarabdha, shines as that supreme person, Siva.

Report Spam   Logged
Shannon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2016 04:04 pm »

Today is also particularly magical because of the solar eclipse - a good time for cleansing baths, drumming and meditations on transformation - seeking clarity, declaring intentions, morphing negative energy into positive enerty, etc.  Tomorrow also just happens to be the Mahasamadhi of Sri Yukteswar.  Everyone should spend extra time tonight and tomorrow meditating on those things they wish to materialize in their lives, or asking for guidance.  Would be a shame to waste all of this extra mojo!

Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2016 09:02 pm »

Thanks b!

At the highest level, Shiva is regarded as limitless, transcendent, unchanging and formless.[5][6][7][8][9] Shiva also has many benevolent and fearsome forms.[10] In benevolent aspects, he is depicted as an omniscient Yogi who lives an ascetic life on Mount Kailash,[4] as well as a householder with wife Parvati and his two children, Ganesha and Kartikeya, and in fierce aspects, he is often depicted slaying demons. Shiva is also regarded as the patron god of yoga and arts.[11][12][13]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2016 09:20 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
b
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2016 11:05 pm »

Today is also particularly magical because of the solar eclipse - a good time for cleansing baths, drumming and meditations on transformation - seeking clarity, declaring intentions, morphing negative energy into positive enerty, etc.  Tomorrow also just happens to be the Mahasamadhi of Sri Yukteswar.  Everyone should spend extra time tonight and tomorrow meditating on those things they wish to materialize in their lives, or asking for guidance.  Would be a shame to waste all of this extra mojo!

Smiley

Thanks for the reply. I agree. It seems wise to take advantage of these auspicious occasions to encourage our Sadhana, reflect, and focus.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: