Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 06:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What drew you to Paramahansa Yogananda, or to whichever Guru you follow ?

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What drew you to Paramahansa Yogananda, or to whichever Guru you follow ?  (Read 972 times)
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« on: Aug 06, 2009 02:21 pm »

What drew you to Paramahansa Yogananda or to whichever Guru,or spiritual path that you follow ?

Steve posted this question to Miracleman, I thought it would be a good general question to post here ( I hope you don't mind Steve )

A dear friend introduced me to him, and for this, I am very grateful. It has changed my life in ways I never imagined.

Into Blue   
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009 02:24 pm by Into Blue » Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2009 01:40 am »

A dear friend introduced me to him, and for this, I am very grateful. It has changed my life in ways I never imagined.

Into Blue   

How so??
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2009 03:44 am »

ohh too many to list them all, I will have to think about this question

Have you read any of Yogananda's books ?
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2009 03:50 am by Into Blue » Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2009 04:00 am »

No, I have not... I do have three of his books. One's an affirmation book, and one's like a prayer journal, and the other the name slips my old brain.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2009 04:04 am »

Let me guess, Autobiography of a Yogi ? I have the affirmation book too and Whispers from Eternity.
Report Spam   Logged
prabhatsinha

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2009 12:41 pm »

My father had read AOI probably before my birth and had taken kriya. The photo of gurus and AOI was in the house since I was a kid.

I have met one Mr Gupta of Muzzaferpur who when heard the name of Yogananda first time(he knew nothing about Yogananda neither had seen his photograph) at his relative's home started weeping and kept on weeping for days. As one devotee was telling me about this story in front of him, he started weeping silently with tears flowing.

(prabhat sinha) -tiger of early morning-
Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2009 06:25 pm »

Let me guess, Autobiography of a Yogi ? I have the affirmation book too and Whispers from Eternity.

No, it is not AoAY.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2009 07:00 pm »

Thank you, tiger of early morning  Smiley for sharing your story with us. So you have grown up with the gurus as part of the family, so to speak.

Very touching about the devotee who was weeping. There are moments, when in meditation at the SRF Temples, that tears have come to my eyes also.
Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2009 07:09 pm »

Very touching about the devotee who was weeping. There are moments, when in meditation at the SRF Temples, that tears have come to my eyes also. [/size][/b][/color]

You go to an SRF Temple?
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2009 09:21 pm »

hi amorabsolutus, I have visited a few SRF temples.

You had asked earlier, " how so ? " in regards to Yogananda changing my life. Sorry for the delay in reply. Reading about Yogananda has opened my eyes to a new meaning of life, to new ideas, to new ways of meditation and to feeling closer to God and Guru. Not always easy to express in words, sometimes it is just a feeling, but you know it is there, that Yogananda is close, with you on your journey. It is also very special to have someone, or several people, and a forum like this, to share these Yogananda teachings and moments with. Sharing Yogananda moments with others also brings him closer, and for these special moments I have been blessed and I am truly grateful. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest66
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2009 11:46 am »

My story is very similar to yours, Into Blue, in that a friend introduced me to his writings. Unfortunately, she passed on before I really started to take a great interest, as I was still at that time trying to get to grips with Krishna Consciousness, as described by Prabhupada, which was her pure path. My friend was in many ways the person who led me to a spiritual path at all. It was only through her battle with cancer that I learned that if you call, He (God) will help. I attended a C of E primary school, but had found that my faith, though strong, was beginning to waver in a God who, as far as I could tell, would not directly intercede...it took a long time before I realised that whenever you see a small change in a situation where you have prayed, that is His work. Paramhansaji's teachings have shaped my life since Chris' death, really. They've helped me walk the process more than any other guru, so much so that I donated the Prabhupada books to a charity shop after a fashion. I pray that the one who led me to Paramhansaji's teachings is now at peace.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2009 12:30 pm »

Hi Live to Learn,

Thank you for sharing your introduction to Yogananda. I am sorry to hear about your friend Chris, ((((hugs)))). I have a feeling that she " knows " of your increased interest in Yogananda, as she is watching from above. I wonder if you sense her near, when you are reading books by Yogananda? Interesting how life introduces us to people who help us on our spiritual journey. I believe that God, Guru, Amma and the Angels all hear our prayers, and that they do respond. I have had several recent examples of this, and even though I know that prayer works, I still find it amazing when our prayer requests are actually heard and answered. What a nice idea to donate your Prabhupada books, so that others on that path may have the opportunity to make use of them. I will add my prayers to yours, that your friend Chris is now at peace.

May I ask what a C of E primary school is ? Never heard of that before.

blessings,
Into Blue 
Report Spam   Logged
guest66
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2009 05:17 pm »

Church of England primary school. Smiley

I feel her around, for sure...not usually when I'm reading Yoganandaji, though. She mentioned "Autobiography of a Yogi" in an email, and I expressed an interest...but never really got 'round to buying it...then I received it as a gift from a family member, who knew nothing about my interest in the book. A few weeks later (A year after Chris' passing...) I read the chapter on the Resurrection of Sri Yukteswar.

"Friends of other lives immediately recognise one another in the astral world. Rejoicing at the immortality of friendship, they realise the indestructibility of love, so often doubted at the time of sad, delusive parting from this earth."

I felt as if a weight had been lifted from my burdened, grieving heart. I felt like Chris meant me to find it at that time, because I later read the Gita, and that transformed my thinking on grief even further.

Jai Sri Krsna, jai paramaguruji!

"There never was a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor any of these kings. Nor will there be any future where we cease to be." (Bhagavad Gita, 2:12- my favourite verse.)
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2009 05:19 pm »

thank you  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2009 03:58 am »

"Friends of other lives immediately recognise one another in the astral world. Rejoicing at the immortality of friendship, they realise the indestructibility of love, so often doubted at the time of sad, delusive parting from this earth."

I later read the Gita, and that transformed my thinking on grief even further.

Jai Sri Krsna, jai paramaguruji!

"There never was a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor any of these kings. Nor will there be any future where we cease to be." (Bhagavad Gita, 2:18- my favourite verse.)

Nomaste Live to Learn: i think the interesting thing about being on the spiritual path is that we slowly bring the astral world into our own lives and we indeed can start experiencing this friendship of distant kindred spirits here and now.

Jai Guru

Jitendra
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009 04:01 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print