Spiritual Portal
Jan 18, 2018 08:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Daze of Heaven's new album: World Color

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

social media fuels action for better or worse

Recent Items

Views: 3
Comments (0)
By: Steve Hydonus

Views: 5
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 30
Comments (1)
By: SI
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: social media fuels action for better or worse  (Read 53 times)
Red
Administrator

« on: Jul 08, 2016 08:23 pm »

whats happening now is tragic. two days ago i watched a video of cops pinning a man down and killing him point blank on instagram. i'm sure others learned of this incident in a similar manner....

there are things just as bad happening in this world(undocumented) but there is a reason this is coming to light and my hope is we find a solution not just for the racism that exist today but for the injustice world wide.. this may be a stepping stone.

last night i watched the dallas protest and the shootings take place. we've discussed it here before, the internet is the fast track to linking people together and spurring action.... we're able to communicate with friends across sea's.

do you think issa rae would be able to raise $325k in less then 24 hours for sterlings children if it weren't for the internet? we'd still be in the dark about this whole situation.

old structures falling- bringing outdated systems to the light. this is a blessing. a friend of mine once described the internet as a double edged sword.

what scares me is the sheer power of social media, when used to invoke rage- you keep those corrupt in power. with enough "video evidence" you can promote your opinion... you can spark outrage and like a game of chess, calculate your way to favorable outcome. 

there may very well be a group dedicated to creating separation, rage and hate for one another.

i think it's good to bring these matters into light, it's good to wake people up but i don't think those that ask us to wake up are asking us to spur into a violent rage.

i don't have a solution i believe acting in anger makes matters worse. we give control to someone else and surrender basic freedoms.

i do hope people continue to document unjust actions, film and upload video's to social media.... i think it's one of the strongest weapon there is right now- for better or worse....
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2016 03:22 am by daemoon » Report Spam   Logged

Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2016 12:19 am »

Don't let it get to u too much Eric. Its nice to hear your concern for others. If we can find  a way to help it is even better but to b drawn in that vibration with a Pluto transit to your ascendent could b very dangerous for u. It is this Pluto vibration that comes like a social force beyond your control. There are large social movements going on now that you are aware of in a very personal way. All unjust actions arise from the confusion and prejudice in the mind... the minds calcification and rigidity. U will see the manifestations of such samskaras (a mental conformation or latent karmic tendency shaping one's present life) all around u. Once we start clearing our own minds of such darkness we create a new environment outwardly for the manifestation of love, peace and kindness. We can only manifest what our consciousness materializes.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2016 12:48 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevehydonus
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus https://myspace.com/stevehydonus/music/songs<br />http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/  (Personal website)<br />email:ombabaji@hotmail.com (For CD\'s
bolivar shagnasty

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2016 12:04 pm »

It's really no different then it has been for ages. There are always those who feel they are superior to others. It may be because of race ethnicity, wealth or toys accumulated. Paramahansa Yogananda once told the story of a black man who could not set anywhere but the back of the church. Jesus told the man not to worry he was not able to get in the church.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2016 12:06 pm by bolivar shagnasty » Report Spam   Logged
Little Hoot

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2016 05:08 am »

I was flying by there and there was a force field that kept me away. Little Hoot is thinking of you and your friends in Dallas. We support you at this hour through our prayers of upliftment.

Little Hoot Owl
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016 08:48 am by Little Hoot » Report Spam   Logged
Red
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017 08:31 pm »

discussing opposition and violence with my new friend wahiduddin he shared this with me...

The great teachers of all times have taught that while it is important to have a firm sense of purpose and an unshakable intention, even more importantly we should pursue our goals with an open, loving heart, filled with loving-kindness for all. Otherwise, we become just as low and just as despicable as that which we are rallying against.

Consider for example these inspirational words:
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.
Hate multiplies hate,
violence multiplies violence,
and toughness multiplies toughness
in a descending spiral of destruction....

Strength to Love, Rev Martin Luther King

So, how do we gather up the strength and courage and dedication to respond to such nonsense with loving-kindness? One approach is to realize that any other response is destined to only bring about greater harm to everyone involved... including ourselves and the people who we wanted to help.

Another approach is to turn inward for inspiration, empowered and guided by the inner light, such as Rumi speaks of so often:

your sweetheart's face
is appearing now
change yourself into a mirror
and fill yourself to the brim

Fountain of Fire, Jalaluddin Rumi, tr Nader Khalili

very powerful and timely indeed... Thank you friend. https://wahiduddin.net/
Report Spam   Logged

Red
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2017 11:15 pm »

Consider the cost of attention. Our attention is now a scarce resource compared to the amount of information there is to consume. We simply don't have time to examine every single article and counter-article during a news cycle. The best we can do is try to calibrate our minds to pick up on a more or less truthy narrative and decide what to read and believe based on that. Critical thinking and intelligence are necessary for that. But it won't make us perfect. You'll get some shit wrong sometimes and be mislead on occasion. The best we can hope for is to reduce that by training ourselves to think as clearly as possible. This means being honest with ourselves about our own biases and gaps of knowledge.

How can we really make the best possible life for ourselves if we are delusional?

Oh well, I have to run for now.

"There's an increasing propensity on the left to use Twitter as a forum to instigate vigilante justice and harassment. This needs to stop." 1791L

All unjust actions arise from the confusion and prejudice in the mind... the minds calcification and rigidity. U will see the manifestations of such samskaras (a mental conformation or latent karmic tendency shaping one's present life) all around u. Once we start clearing our own minds of such darkness we create a new environment outwardly for the manifestation of love, peace and kindness. We can only manifest what our consciousness materializes.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve Hydonus
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2017 03:23 am »

Consider the cost of attention. Our attention is now a scarce resource compared to the amount of information there is to consume. We simply don't have time to examine every single article and counter-article during a news cycle. The best we can do is try to calibrate our minds to pick up on a more or less truthy narrative and decide what to read and believe based on that. Critical thinking and intelligence are necessary for that. But it won't make us perfect. You'll get some shit wrong sometimes and be mislead on occasion. The best we can hope for is to reduce that by training ourselves to think as clearly as possible. This means being honest with ourselves about our own biases and gaps of knowledge.

How can we really make the best possible life for ourselves if we are delusional?

Oh well, I have to run for now.

"There's an increasing propensity on the left to use Twitter as a forum to instigate vigilante justice and harassment. This needs to stop." 1791L

All unjust actions arise from the confusion and prejudice in the mind... the minds calcification and rigidity. U will see the manifestations of such samskaras (a mental conformation or latent karmic tendency shaping one's present life) all around u. Once we start clearing our own minds of such darkness we create a new environment outwardly for the manifestation of love, peace and kindness. We can only manifest what our consciousness materializes.

Nomaste Eric thanks for the insightful quote by ding dong. i found the video rite on. i believe many people jump to conclusions without hearing both sides to a story and really we ourselves must look at ourselves when talking about someone else. Why? Because they have their side of the story and many things boil down to perception anyhow. Subjective perception.
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2017 04:35 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevehydonus
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus https://myspace.com/stevehydonus/music/songs<br />http://stevehydonus.googlepages.com/  (Personal website)<br />email:ombabaji@hotmail.com (For CD\'s
Red
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017 07:21 am »

https://www.fastcompany.com/40506058/former-facebook-exec-social-media-is-ripping-apart-society
Facebook’s former vice president for user growth Chamath Palihapitiya recently gave a talk at the Stanford Graduate School of Business that’ll probably make you think twice about your social media use (via the Verge). The entire talk is well worth a watch, but some of his most prominent remarks included:

That he feels “tremendous guilt” about Facebook. “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.”
“The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created [including the hearts, likes, and thumbs up of various social media channels] are destroying how society works.” He added, “[There’s] no civil discourse, no cooperation; [only] misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem–this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”
Regarding an incident in which seven innocent men in India were lynched after a hoax about kidnappings spread through WhatsApp: “That’s what we’re dealing with. And imagine taking that to the extreme, where bad actors can now manipulate large swathes of people to do anything you want. It’s just a really, really bad state of affairs.”
Unsurprisingly, when it comes to social media, his children “aren’t allowed to use that shit.”
Report Spam   Logged

SI

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2017 08:44 pm »

Unsurprisingly, when it comes to social media, his children “aren’t allowed to use that shit.”

That's what I do. TV too. Oh they will get it when they're older and on their own, but now is not the time.

I always thought the whole social media thing like facebook, twitter, texting, etc., was so gay. Can't believe so many are tethered to their devices. If I didn't use a computer for work, I doubt I would need one except possibly for paying bills, and possibly amazon.

Everywhere I go everyone has their head looking down. Pitiful.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: