Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 05:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Meditation Q & A

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation Q & A  (Read 2678 times)
guest88
« on: Aug 08, 2016 07:48 pm »

i thought this would be a nice way to ask more experienced members here some basic questions...

i've joined the virtual meditation hall brock thank you for pointing this out

so first question,

do you meditate with your eyes open?
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2016 06:09 am »

I do both, really. I guess my favorite way is with eyes like half opened. That just feels very natural to me. The point is the keep the mind from being stimulated by objects. For some who have wild imaginations, closed eyes may only stimulate fanciful imaginings which are no better than normal, everyday distractions. Sooo....

Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016 06:10 am by ding dong » Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2016 06:31 pm »

i have a wild imagination... when i first started i would do eyes closed and either gently focused down or up... i think eyes half opened is a good idea
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2016 07:51 pm »

You can't really close your eyes, you can only put eyelids over them.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2016 10:46 pm »

i guess from an anal i mean, technical perspective then you should consider the eyelids separate from the eyeballs.

of course, i'm just a dumbfounded redneck tryin to get by.   Smiley

in either case, it would appear even with having the ability to see that most of us our blind regardless 
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2016 10:57 pm »

You can't really close your eyes, you can only put eyelids over them.

Cool You can do a lot with the eyes whether there are lids over them or not. Consider their position and the relative state of consciousness.

i guess from an anal i mean, technical perspective then you should consider the eyelids separate from the eyeballs.

of course, i'm just a dumbfounded redneck tryin to get by.   Smiley

in either case, it would appear even with having the ability to see that most of us our blind regardless 

Most people do not even recognize how blind they really are. It is only upon some degree of gaining spiritual insight that there is some awakening to this truth.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2016 11:04 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
ding dong

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2016 11:28 pm »

Daemoon, that's just to say that shutting the eyes doesn't necessarily shut off the visualizing, objectifying part of the brain.

The mind is always chasing objects. It even looks for God or the Self as an object. Perhaps...the fundamental mistake.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2016 11:34 pm »

very interesting ding dong, i'm just pullin yer leg. =)

in either case, i would say i do tend to make faces out of shapes or... even with my eyes closed, i will see lines and flickering lights when meditating at times

the mind can be tricky i suppose
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2016 04:38 am »

Yes, I used to subconsciously try make such things appear as I was expecting visions. It wasn't until later on that I figured out that visions, no matter how wonderful, are still mental phenomena and therefore distractions.

I remember Sri Yukteswar said that many people renounce worldy attractions only to seek them on the spiritual plane. I now understand what he meant.

Ramana said, "In truth there is nothing visual." He also once said there was silence of speech, silence of the eyes, silence of the ears, and silence of the mind. The last one being the mauna state.

Cool

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2016 08:10 pm »

when i used to meditate regularly i would also have images flash before the mind... it was different from creating images out of shapes and colors... it wasn't something you held onto and explored. it was quick...

one night time meditation i saw the moon with my eyelids closed. it came very clear with a white glow.

one time while in a park meditating i had the image of a vibrant flower and a baby's face emerge from out of the bflower.

it's a little cartoony thinking back on it... this happened 5 or 6 years ago.

do you notice a difference between trying to make things appear versus experiencing distinct images while meditating?

also, do you ever feel any activity around your brow when you meditate?

i'm thinking it may be best to let it come and go as these images... not something to hold on to rather, simply experience
Report Spam   Logged
ding dong

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2016 12:07 am »

when i used to meditate regularly i would also have images flash before the mind... it was different from creating images out of shapes and colors... it wasn't something you held onto and explored. it was quick...

one night time meditation i saw the moon with my eyelids closed. it came very clear with a white glow.

one time while in a park meditating i had the image of a vibrant flower and a baby's face emerge from out of the bflower.

it's a little cartoony thinking back on it... this happened 5 or 6 years ago.

do you notice a difference between trying to make things appear versus experiencing distinct images while meditating?

There is an obvious difference when you are not wanting to see these images. It is like you can finally relax. Involuntary images also come. The mind is capable of producing an infinite variety of these images just as it is capable of producing an endless variety of dreams. Images part of our brains program but the desire to see them is way less for me now. 

also, do you ever feel any activity around your brow when you meditate?

Occasionally but it is not a focal point for me as it is in some meditation practices.

i'm thinking it may be best to let it come and go as these images... not something to hold on to rather, simply experience

We really have no choice.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2016 12:11 am by ding dong » Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2017 10:23 pm »

gratitude for all the replies to this thread...

something i've noticed about myself... as i increase my efforts to stay tuned to a greater love i also notice more often i am not that love. i even feel the harder i try, the more i react to unsavory circumstance or events. i'm not trying to complain here... maybe i'm just becoming more aware of my own insecurities in the process... i am witnessing my anger but am still reacting to things with anger, jealousy, the desire to control, etc. etc.

what a conundrum

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2017 08:17 am »

I think this has something to do with samskara, I read up briefly on the subject. Are samskara the same as neural pathways?
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2017 03:01 am »

I tried to meditate outside today with a straight back but could not take my mind off the discomfort. Instead I layed down and gazed through the leaves of a tree and into the sky... eyes were half open
Great stuff ding d- thank you and Steve both for the replies
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2018 05:18 pm »

I think I’ve read of those who could pace back and forwarth, meditating at the same time. I was wondering, is it possible to meditate while walking around outside?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: