Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 05:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Meditation Q & A

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation Q & A  (Read 2677 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #30 on: Mar 17, 2019 11:58 pm »

In GTWA the importance of correct posture and proper technique are brought up frequently. Lately when I try to sit in a meditative position my leg falls asleep, it's about 20 minutes or so in and becomes very distracting. I wonder if anyone here has run into similar problems and what they have done to alleviate without compromising their form... ?

Yes when I was younger I ran into this situation constantly. First I must ask you this question; are you attempting to sit in some type of lotus position?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2019 12:00 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #31 on: Mar 19, 2019 05:16 am »

Yes, usually.

Report Spam   Logged
kingfisher111

« Reply #32 on: Mar 19, 2019 06:20 am »

Yes, usually.

Lotus is hard.  I've heard Indian meditation teachers recommend only half-lotus for Westeners or anyone who didn't grow up practicing full lotus from a young age. 

I've also heard to be careful, that it can cause injury if your body didn't start doing it from a young age, and that it's best to not do for 10-15 mins at a time, if at all.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: Mar 19, 2019 11:32 am »

Everything is crowded out there even the events You go to. Which is a totally different subject. But I have a chance to mention it here...and that is the invasiveness of the human species on every level!!!

feast or famine

funny how LA is like that, and most cities in the US don't even have many group meditation options.  Although, this different forms of meditation are everywhere now...  I had to start my own meetup group for the type of meditation I practice, which I learned from Brock, Self-Enquiry.  Where Brock lives, there is no Self-Enquiry group either, so he attends the closest thing available, which is a Buddhist meetup group.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019 07:49 pm by kingfisher111 » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #34 on: Mar 19, 2019 04:25 pm »

Yeah I usually do a half lotus and haven't had this leg sleeping problem until I started meditating at a spot in my room more frequently. If I am outdoors I don't think I have this problem. If I lay down I drift off and lose concentration, sometimes falling asleep. I will try regular cross leg style but I'm not sure I know what that is LOL, my half lotus is my most natural pose where my knees are touching the ground. I will try your advice as well as relocating since the carpeted ground may be affecting this. Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2019 05:53 am »

Do you ever feel like you are being called to meditate? Sometimes the calling is so great, like I am missing out on something if I don't take the opportunity to jump right into meditation. However, I may not always be in the most ideal place when the calling comes. Unfortunately I skipped out last night and ended up self-sabotaging a little bit. Though the entire time I felt God was with me, I think Spirit may have been trying to save me from repeating unwanted past behaviors. When the untrained mind wants a reprieve, it's rather peculiar how it will sometimes go as far as disregarding even the voice of Angels.
Report Spam   Logged
kingfisher111

« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2019 10:19 pm »

Yeah man.  All a part of the journey.  I relate.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: Apr 06, 2019 02:06 am »

I think the important thing about having friends that meditate is that you strengthen each other’s resolve and you have something in common to do that benefits both of you when you’re together. It is probably why I try to see friends that maintain a meditation schedule of their own. There are many things that are unscene in life. One of them Is the energy that is transferred from one individual to another when meditating. I Remember many long meditation’s On Friday night at the Hollywood temple i used to go almost every Friday. They were three hour meditation’s. I recall distinctly some Meditations there where I tapped into another dimension filled with stillness blissful peace. Since I rarely had those kind of meditations alone I attributed it to some of the deep meditation that was occurring from saintly souls in my presence. I have had similar experiences while meditating in the presence of Amma as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2019 02:22 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2019 10:19 pm »

I find that even if I have what I want-
a loving partner, a steady income, good health, a supportive family and a wonderful group of friends that the occasional bout of loneliness will still find a way to creep in. What is loneliness? Is it human nature to always long for something more? We may not even know what that more is and sometimes we just get lonely when there's no apparent reason for it. Sometimes we think, I should like to be intimate with this person. Then when we finally get it, the idea becomes lost and over time the longing for something more comes back, as does the loneliness. Sometimes we will be in the middle of a family celebration and even then feel the creeping effects of loneliness, like something is missing and or a craving for something more that can not be easily explained. Is it not a sign that no one person outside ourselves can satisfy the deeper parts of our being?
Can meditation liberate us from feeling lonely?
What are some helpful techniques or things to concentrate on to help alleviate the feeling?
In truth we are so blessed if we take the time daily to find the blessings... So why do we long for something that escapes comprehension? Are we no longer aware while we are experiencing these run of emotions?

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019 06:44 am »

Systemi-what now?
 Smiley Just teasing. Wow, thank you for the kind and in depth reply.
I read the lyrics to the song, they're kind of sad but I have a very large ego anyways... thus the need to meditate...
Interesting to note about St. Francis and the Donkey.
Sometimes unresolved desires bring about the lonely or depressed feelings. I think, even if one suffers, it's important to pursue a desire rather than thwart it. Spot on about the humbling effects of pain.
Take care...
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019 11:32 pm »

I think I may have been wrong. Though without the experience to know better, could one successfully thwart the pull of desire? I say this because I was lately plagued by a manic mind and have only recently been relieved of this feeling which is causing the initial desire to subside. The ego is mystifying, not always easy to spot these things...
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019 03:41 pm »

Seems like the more I fight desire the more it attacks. My approach recently is to replace it when possible; Seeing and talking with friends that inspire me. Seeing saints and Masters that show me superior pleasures. Cultivating my mind with peace and meditation. Practicing the techniques the Masters give us. Keeping them in my thoughts as much as possible. Desire is always lurking in my mind but what the Masters have done for me and the practice of meditation has done for me constantly plays recordings thru my mind as well. I choose to listen because I know it brings me the greatest happiness. It is not that I do not recognize the desires and darkness of my mind and habits. I just don’t find it helpful to keep preaching to myself and feeling guilty. It’s better to redirect the minds and bodies activities.

At a certain point we begin to be more and more aware that what appeared to be thwarted attempts at satisfying desires was and is in fact the Masters blessings and protection. Practicing the presence and following the spiritual regimine outlined by spiritual masters does bring their blessings and discipline and can help us keep on track in our spiritual aspirations. This is inspite of the fact that we may work against our own spiritual progress. There are many ambiguities and paradoxes in human nature that we ourselves are quite helpless to work out without the blessings of the great ones. It no longer comes as a surprise to me that having had asked a Master for help and even being told that help would be forthcoming that it should be surprising to have discipline in the expression and satisfaction of desire.

We may find our job,career, friends and acquaintances all change as our spiritual aspirations become more focused to help gain more spiritual insight and progress.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019 06:31 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019 03:59 am »

Thank you both for the advice.

I will have to reread each... I also think both of these replies help me understand my next question.

Lately if I go deep I get tired. Again I'll notice a switch from actively thinking to passively watching thoughts play out on their own.

My more recent experience came from letting the mind go and observing. It was more of a, subconscious rest mode. Today however, when I noticed my mind beginning to switch to passive state, I found myself becoming quite disturbed the direction the mind was going. I felt the need to regain control of the thoughts and breathe in Love and Light, exhaling what this 'personality' understands as undesirable.

Somewhere in here is a delicate balance. Do you think it's better to let go and experience what comes or to concentrate on the breath and as Steve alludes, steer the course of the minds preoccupations?

...Thank you for all the contributions... There's much to reflect on.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #43 on: Oct 02, 2020 09:20 pm »

There's so much one can say, and I wanted to share that what I'm reading from Tich Nhat Hanh is that meditation is to help you reintegrate into society. Gurunath proclaims, "self peace for earth peace." So one may say we meditate to know Peace and in so doing, we share that with the world.

This is an excerpt form Being Peace-
We have many compartments in our lives. When we practice
sitting meditation and when we do not practice sitting, these
two periods of time are so different from each other. While
sitting, we practice intensively and while we are not sitting, we
do not practice intensively. In fact, we practice non-practice
intensively. There is a wall which separates the two, practicing
and non-practicing. Practicing is only for the practice period and
non-practicing is only for the non-practicing period. How can we
mix the two together? How can we bring meditation out of the
meditation hall and into the kitchen, and the office? How can
the sitting influence the non-sitting time? If a doctor gives you
an injection, not only your arm but your whole body benefits
from it. If you practice one hour of sitting a day, that hour should
be for all twenty-four hours, and not just for that hour. One smile,
one breath should be for the benefit of the whole day, not just for
that moment. We must practice in a way that removes the barrier between practice and non-practice.
When we walk in the meditation hall, we make careful steps,
very slowly. But when we go to the airport, we are quite another
person. We walk very differently, less mindfully. How can we
practice at the airport and in the market? That is engaged Buddhism. Engaged Buddhism does not only mean to use Buddhism
to solve social and political problems, protesting against the
bombs, and protesting against social injustice. First of all we
have to bring Buddhism into our daily lives. I have a friend who
breathes between telephone calls, and it helps her very much.
Another friend does walking meditation between business
appointments, walking mindfully between buildings in downtown Denver. Passersby smile at him, and his meetings, even
with difficult persons, often turn out to be very pleasant, and very
successful.
We should be able to bring the practice from the meditation hall into our daily lives. How can we practice to penetrate our
feelings, our perceptions during daily life?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: