Spiritual Portal
Apr 16, 2024 08:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Talisman

Recent Items

Views: 25
Comments (6)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 21
Comments (5)

Views: 18
Comments (5)

Views: 32
Comments (5)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Talisman  (Read 754 times)
guest88
« on: Jul 04, 2018 05:18 am »

Steve, your post reminded me to the talisman Yogananda received in the AOY. It was a mysterious amulet, which then disappeared after it exercised its benign influence. Very interesting episode.

"'Mother,' he said, 'the great masters wish you to know that your stay on earth will not be long. Your next illness shall prove to be your last.'4 There was a silence, during which I felt no alarm but only a vibration of great peace. Finally he addressed me again:
"'You are to be the custodian of a certain silver amulet. I will not give it to you today; to demonstrate the truth in my words, the talisman shall materialize in your hands tomorrow as you meditate. On your deathbed, you must instruct your eldest son Ananta to keep the amulet for one year and then to hand it over to your second son. Mukunda will understand the meaning of the talisman from the great ones. He should receive it about the time he is ready to renounce all worldly hopes and start his vital search for God. When he has retained the amulet for some years, and when it has served its purpose, it shall vanish. Even if kept in the most secret spot, it shall return whence it came.'
"I proffered alms 5 to the saint, and bowed before him in great reverence. Not taking the offering, he departed with a blessing. The next evening, as I sat with folded hands in meditation, a silver amulet materialized between my palms, even as the sadhu had promised. It made itself known by a cold, smooth touch. I have jealously guarded it for more than two years, and now leave it in Ananta's keeping. Do not grieve for me, as I shall have been ushered by my great guru into the arms of the Infinite. Farewell, my child; the Cosmic Mother will protect you."
A blaze of illumination came over me with possession of the amulet; many dormant memories awakened. The talisman, round and anciently quaint, was covered with Sanskrit characters. I understood that it came from teachers of past lives, who were invisibly guiding my steps. A further significance there was, indeed; but one does not reveal fully the heart of an amulet.
How the talisman finally vanished amidst deeply unhappy circumstances of my life; and how its loss was a herald of my gain of a guru, cannot be told in this chapter.
But the small boy, thwarted in his attempts to reach the Himalayas, daily traveled far on the wings of his amulet.

I too am intrigued by reading this account, which is in the early chapters of his book. If I remember correctly shortly after(possibly next chapter) they mention Yogi's understand the subtler realms and can manipulate atoms ... ? That they can use the astral to manifest and objects or items that are made manifest will eventually disappear as is the nature of an item derived from the astral realms raised to the physical.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: