Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 08:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Meditation; why do some people loose interest?

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation; why do some people loose interest?  (Read 536 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Oct 18, 2016 06:07 pm »

One very fascinating phenomena I have found about meditation is that quite often we find that the best results we have from it are when we need it.

To give some examples;

Not so long ago I had ex-ray treatment on my brain. Fortunately it was sucessful. Not sure if u know the whole procedure but you are put in a tube with your head strapped down in a mask so it cannot move. I was asked by the medical team how I was so calm because the procedure was accomplished in one half the original time. I told them it was a great experience for me since I was restrained to be still and I entered a very peaceful place in meditation. I was sincere about my explanation.

I believe that because most people look for pleasure and a quick thrill they miss the long term benefits of meditation. Because often when the results of pleasure addiction kick in there is no relief. Meditation can give that relief. This is what I have witnessed over the years.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2016 07:53 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2016 05:53 am »

Many people loose interest in meditation because they do not get instant results. We have expectations out of ourselves and others. If those expectations are not met we give up too easily. I have seen results from meditation and spirit but our desires and expectations are not always satisfied. God may have very different plans for ourselves then we do and we may even find our desires are being satisfied but we may not have known how long it takes to satisfy some desires and what we have to go thru to do so. We may even question, with good reason, whether having satisfaction of our desires will lead to the happiness we are seeking. When this occurs we recognize that we may have mixed feelings about our material desires and continue more diligently to seek ultimate satisfaction in meditation and spirit.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2016 09:16 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
ding dong

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2016 04:07 pm »

A lot of people are interested in meditation to help manage stress or pain or problems focusing. Some people that I know have said that meditation didn't work for them. My sister, for example, was recommended meditation and to do breathing exercises by her therapist. It didn't work for her and she didn't stick with it. I think people are already skeptical about it's efficacy going into it because it does sound a little bit too good to be true.

"Oh, here's a cost free, drug free, way to be happy with no side effects!"

An issue

Despite the scientific studies proving it works, intense skepticism about meditation still seems common. Even people who actually want it to be true, often don't think it will actually work for them. The problem I see with what you've said here is that it is perhaps okay for someone on a spiritual path. But those of us who would like to take advantage of meditation unaffiliated with a guru or spiritual path (which we may find highly dubious) should not have to rely on faith too much. We should be able to experiment with these techniques and see a result - not just have faith that it's working.

If one simply has to take it on faith that it's working, that is going to cut out a lot of people. In that case, it's not very much different than reading the bible or praying or going to church (all things recommended to people for stress and depression). Again, many of us feel alienated by that kind of stuff. I can say I have struggled with meditation techniques not seeming to be working for me. I do believe everyone's nervous system is wired up a little bit differently so every technique might not be right for every person. Yogananda's techniques never really clicked with me very well. I find his energization exercises to be almost a form of torture. Some meditation techniques may even make you frustrated. This can't be good, then.

For example, with prayer and some other kinds of meditation techniques, they only frustrate me. Prayer frustrates me because I don't know who the hell I'm talking to. It feels like talking to a wall, myself, Santa Clause, or something obviously not there, which is frustrating. Other techniques make me feel too busy and like I am having to do a lot of work. I am a lazy guy, so these frustrate me as well. Any kind of visualization or affirmation and I am looking for the door.

Osho interestingly theorized (rightly or wrongly? you be the judge) that modern man's lifestyle actually makes it harder for him to meditate. His reasoning was that back in ancient India when most of the meditation techniques were invented man was more physically active, he was performing physically intensive labor, chopping wood, and so on. Also, it is noteworthy to realize that he did not have a 24/7 feed of media and information. He was not passing new people on the street all day. And he was perhaps not traveling very far. He may live in one small village for his whole life and see only a handful of people per day. He may spend a lot of time simply sitting and not being mentally stimulated by anything. Osho theorized then that these people would go into meditations like So-hum (or Hung Sau as Yogananda version) or breath watching more easily.

To address this Osho created what he called dynamic meditations which involve a period of intense physical movement and cartharsis before the silent sitting stage. This was to cleanse the excess garbage that has supposedly gathered in the modern man's mind which may not have been there in ancient times.

This is at least an interesting idea. The problem that I have found with Osho's dynamic meditation is having a place to practice it. Unless you have a private gym or a house with a room big enough for you to do it, as well as no close by neighbors to hear you catharting, you are out of luck.

For me, I have found various kinds of meditations which appeal to me. I practiced mantra japa for a while but I found the reference to another cultures mythological Gods to be too much of an obstacle to overcome. It is, however, a powerful device for keeping away thoughts in one can do it wholeheartedly.

Some that have clicked with me

• Watching the breathe (this is probably my least favorite)
  • Stop meditation (this was taught by Osho and I believe derived from Gurdjieff)
  • Vipassanna or Zazen (this involves simply sitting quietly and watching thoughts, not doing anything. Breath watching sometimes happens naturally.)
  • Self Enquiry (this is the method most often recommended by Ramana Maharshi. It involves holding on to the "I" thought and observing how it arises)

I find Self-Inquiry to be simply impossible in certain mind states. Those who are simply looking for stress management should probably try one of the other techniques first.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2016 04:33 pm by ding dong » Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2017 10:56 pm »

Many people loose interest in meditation because they do not get instant results. We have expectations out of ourselves and others. If those expectations are not met we give up too easily. I have seen results from meditation and spirit but our desires and expectations are not always satisfied. God may have very different plans for ourselves then we do and we may even find our desires are being satisfied but we may not have known how long it takes to satisfy some desires and what we have to go thru to do so. We may even question, with good reason, whether having satisfaction of our desires will lead to the happiness we are seeking. When this occurs we recognize that we may have mixed feelings about our material desires and continue more diligently to seek ultimate satisfaction in meditation and spirit.

Steve, it's not that I'm not getting instant results, I'm not even getting very delated results...

I enjoy the discipline though.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2017 10:01 pm »

Hi Mccoy,

I probably haven't any good advice since I've stopped all forms of traditional meditation. Very rarely do I take the time to sit and still the mind. Having remembered when I would meditate I can say that I miss it. I am so restless at times now... Just last night I had the TV on and phone in hand, doing at least 3 or 4 things at once- I feel sick just thinking about it. Having the discipline you said you appreciate, is enough to get back on it. I am trying but can't last as long as I used to. It may sound naive but I think you become more a master of your reality when you have the Will to dictate ... Your influence is potent and even nature has been known to bow to the strong Willed. I struggle mustering the discipline to shut myself up for just 5 minutes anymore. I struggle regularly when an outside influence presents something to me that goes against my greater desires. These little things really add to your character in the long run. It may not be mind blowing astral projection or whatever other wild imaginings may come as a result but there's certainly the topic of health to seriously consider and remember whenever you feel discouraged... How sad is it when one is constantly struggling to stay true to themselves and ends up spiraling further from the desired result as a consequence? Meditation, from what I can remember, has helped me steer clear from things I regrettably experience now. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2017 07:17 pm »

If you can't sit still, how do you expect to recognize whispers from the divine?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2017 03:59 pm »

If you can't sit still, how do you expect to recognize whispers from the divine?  Grin

This creation with all its drama and distraction will all come to an end when people are spiritually at peace and enjoy inner bliss.

The baby cries and the parents hand it toys to occupy the childs attention. We get restless and look for distractions and entertainment and there is more then enough to amuse us. But soon the child gets tired of toys and throws them out. In the same way we get tired of the entertainment the world provides knowing that at best it brings only temporary satisfaction. Suddenly we recall what our true purpose is here and we are back to meditation again. When we begin to recognize the foolishness of all the distractions people seek and all the toys they gather it becomes rather humorous and we are easily unimpressed.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2017 04:25 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2017 06:25 am »

Well this is a bit of a contradiction but I've got this app on my phone called headspace. It's the only *nice* notification my phone really prompts me with... a little message will pop in the AM and say, "get a little headspace"

The app comes with practical meditation advice too.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: