Spiritual Portal
Dec 17, 2017 11:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Is climate change real?

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Facebook under fire

Recent Items

Views: 4
Comments (0)
By: Steve Hydonus

Views: 8
Comments (0)

Views: 25
Comments (1)

Views: 22
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook under fire  (Read 33 times)
ding dong
Administrator

« on: Nov 17, 2016 09:48 am »

In the aftermath of Trumps surprising win people have been scrambling to make sense of what happened. Facebook has now come under the scrutiny for facilitating the spread of fake news stories in the weeks preceding the election.

The hypothesis is that a proliferation of patently false news stories trending on facebook may have helped to swing the election in Trump's favor. We will very likely hear more about social media companies taking efforts to crack down on "fake news". Google and Facebook have already issued statements with their intentions to do that.

http://fusion.net/story/370735/edward-snowden-facebook-fake-news/
https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-fake-news-affect-election-techonomy-donald-trump-crazy/

As Zuckerberg said in a facebook, they have to be very careful in being the arbiters of "truth". A sentiment I agree with. What do you think is a company like facebook's role in something like this?

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016 10:03 am by ding dong » Report Spam   Logged
Red
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017 10:54 pm »

I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg really just wanted to create a better social media or if he always knew the potential Facebook would have as a weapon. I wonder, does he mean what he says about being careful not to become an arbiter of truth Or is that a blatant lie? Everything is Trackable and many times truth is suppressed. If he never meant for this at least now he knows now the beast he’s helped create.
“Facebook to expand artificial intelligence to help prevent suicide”
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/facebook-expand-artificial-intelligence-help-prevent-suicide-160303761--finance.html
“... If the software detects a potential suicide, it alerts a team of Facebook workers who specialize in handling such reports. The system suggests resources to the user or to friends of the person such as a telephone help line. Facebook workers sometimes call local authorities to intervene. ...”

I wonder what other uses they give with this detecting software.

It’s good to disconnect. Our smart phones are Toxic.

Report Spam   Logged

SI

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2017 02:30 am »

I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg really just wanted to create a better social media or if he always knew the potential Facebook would have as a weapon

He just got lucky and built a popular program.

I wonder, does he mean what he says about being careful not to become an arbiter of truth Or is that a blatant lie? Everything is Trackable and many times truth is suppressed. If he never meant for this at least now he knows now the beast he’s helped create.
“Facebook to expand artificial intelligence to help prevent suicide”
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/facebook-expand-artificial-intelligence-help-prevent-suicide-160303761--finance.html
“... If the software detects a potential suicide, it alerts a team of Facebook workers who specialize in handling such reports. The system suggests resources to the user or to friends of the person such as a telephone help line. Facebook workers sometimes call local authorities to intervene. ...”

I wonder what other uses they give with this detecting software.

It's just Data Mining, you take data that you have and create whatever report you can think of. You can use the results to create whatever conclusion you want based on whatever scale you create.

Who knows if it's accurate or not, it's still being given human input.

It’s good to disconnect. Our smart phones are Toxic.

Don't own one, recommend losing yours, do you really need it?

Report Spam   Logged
Red
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017 03:45 am »

Unfortunately I was asked by my boss to get back on Facebook and they want us to have a smartphone to run their prospecting software.

Lately I am disgusted to find how much I use my phone to hop online.. how impatient I can be when I try to disconnect from it all. I have a few goals and less dependence to this technology is one of them. Sometimes I think I am off balance because of my irritability however I know now this is a good thing. Comfort and enlightenment aren’t the same thing :p. Okay getting off track here... 

Data mining... this data is used to target consumers and worse. Government officials have demanded such information from corporate giants and even partner together to achieve certain tiers of control. It’s all quite frightening When you consider the many implications used behind this information.

I thought this was a brilliantly orchestrated short video on the subject:

Report Spam   Logged

SI

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017 08:29 pm »

Unfortunately I was asked by my boss to get back on Facebook and they want us to have a smartphone to run their prospecting software.

Then can't they provide you with development tools such as a smartphone? Are you saying you must provide one to work there?

Lately I am disgusted to find how much I use my phone to hop online.. how impatient I can be when I try to disconnect from it all. I have a few goals and less dependence to this technology is one of them. Sometimes I think I am off balance because of my irritability however I know now this is a good thing. Comfort and enlightenment aren’t the same thing :p. Okay getting off track here... 

It's so peaceful without one. No one believes I can live without it.

Data mining... this data is used to target consumers and worse. Government officials have demanded such information from corporate giants and even partner together to achieve certain tiers of control. It’s all quite frightening When you consider the many implications used behind this information.

And the more you use those little devices, the more data is collected. I use TOR as much as I can to keep the data tracking down.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: