Spiritual Portal
Oct 19, 2019 05:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Steve Hydonus' music on CD Baby!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

John Lilly

Recent Items

Views: 12
Comments (3)
By: kingfisher111

Views: 11
Comments (1)
By: Steve Hydonus

Views: 3
Comments (0)
By: tides2dust

Views: 5
Comments (0)
By: Steve Hydonus
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Lilly  (Read 22 times)
tides2dust
Administrator

« on: Dec 27, 2016 07:45 pm »

I think most everybody has an obsession of some sort. I believe Oscar Levant says it best, "There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." I see John Lilly in this category. A man with good intent and a true scientist/philosopher. I believe his obsession was his greatest contribution and downfall. There are a few things I am not fond of with his research like the imprisoning of wild dolphins, forcing them LSD and trying to get them to speak English. That seems more torturous to me. The CIA is also interested in sensory deprivation and sensory stimulation as a means of torture/control and once showed interest in Lilly's work. I'm not condemning drug use as a means to achieve knowledge and enlightenment but I'm not in favor of this path after having tried it myself. It takes a mature approach and too often seekers of all ages become overly dependent and end up hurting their bodies physically.

Very unique thoughts have come from this man and he is worth taking a look at. Here's a neat article I found on him early this morning:

Escape from Planet Earth: Psychedelics, religion, and outlaw scientist John C. Lilly

"Most scientists don't include personal stories in their research reports, but for John Lilly, personal experiences and science experiments were the same thing. His ears, eyes, mouth, and nose were calibrated probes. His mind was the unbiased observer, the ideal model for dispassionate inquiry. Knowledge and experience led him to new sets of questions, not firmly held beliefs. But as anyone who has traveled into the psychedelic spaces knows, soon after arrival, one quickly finds out that the scientist's tool kit—language—is much too small and inadequate for the job. The scientist's reaction to the psychedelic experience is a set of questions that sound more like a seeker's. This is the crux of the enigma of John Lilly."
http://www.trbimg.com/img-57b5d7e5/turbine/bcp-081716-feature-lilly-20160817-001/750/750x422
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016 07:48 pm by daemoon » Report Spam   Logged

peace ~ <3

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: