Spiritual Portal
Apr 18, 2024 12:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Omega 6 to 3 ratios in foods

Recent Items

Views: 31
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Omega 6 to 3 ratios in foods  (Read 1422 times)
o-polly

« on: Sep 01, 2009 05:20 am »

This is a list I made for myself based on a consensus that humans need to eat foods giving them a ratio of Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids much closer to 1 to 1 than it typically is now (usually about 17 to 1). Google and you will find this in a number of places.

Omega 3 is needed for joint support, among other things. 'Joints' are a big deal when you get over 50. These ratios are based on quantities of Omega 6 and 3 listed in foods on http://nutritiondata.com and then converted into ratios. Note that these ratios do not necessarily reflect the amounts of each fatty acid in foods. Certain things like soybeans and walnuts, for example, are loaded with Omega 3, but just happen to be much higher in Omega 6. I'm just aiming at balance here.

Certainly there are many other health concerns regarding foods. I also can't claim perfect accuracy on this one, and is also just a partial list, but may be (at least) one part of the puzzle..

Omega 6 to 3 Ratios

Legumes and Legume Products, cooked with salt
(uncanned)

Urad Dal or Mungo (not to be confused with Mung) Beans - 1 to 13.95
Green (or French) beans - 1 to 1.73
Kidney Beans - 1 to 1.58
Navy Beans - 1 to 1.3
Pinto Beans - 1 to 1.4
Black Beans - 1.20 to 1
Yellow Beans - 1.19 to 1
Split Peas - 4.9 to 1
Tofu - 7.5 to 1
Soybeans - 7.5 to 1
Mung Beans - 13.19 to 1
Pigeon Peas (red gram or toor dal) - 21.79 to 1
Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas) 25.89 to 1
Peanut Butter (chunky) - 177.4 to 1
Peanut Butter (smooth) - 180.74 to 1
Peanuts, oil-roasted - 1776.18 to 1

Legumes and Legume Products, cooked with salt (canned)

Pinto Beans 1 to 1.37
Navy Beans 1.19 to 1
White Beans 1.21 to 1
Kidney Beans 1.29 to 1
Great Northern Beans 1.23 to 1
Refried Beans (Vegetarian) 1.69 to 1
Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans) 25.8 to 1

Seafoods

Salmon, sockeye, canned, drained - 1 to 10.94
Salmon, ocean caught, canned (rough average) - 1 to 14
White albacore tuna canned in water - 1 to 17.3

Nuts and Seeds

Flaxseeds - 1 to 3.9
English Walnuts - 1 to 4.2
Black Walnuts - 16.48 to 1
Hickory Nuts - 19.69 to 1
Pecans - 20.9 to 1

Cooking Oils

Flaxseed Oil - 1 to 4.2
Canola Oil - 2.04 to 1
Walnut Oil - 5.09 to 1
Soybean Oil - 7.43 to 1
Olive Oil - 12.83 to 1

Dairy Products

Whole Milk - 1.6 to 1
Fontina Cheese - 1.09 to 1
Mozzerella Cheese (whole milk) - 1.05 to 1
Reduced fat Sour Cream - 1.55 to 1
Whipped Butter - 1.55 to 1

Vegetables

Spinach (frozen)- 1 to 813
Broccoli - 1 to 3.39
Cauliflower - 1 to 3.35
Onions - 7.29 to 1
Potatoes - 3.2 to 1

Report Spam   Logged

o-polly

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2009 02:38 pm »

Yes you're right. There are plenty of supplements and food products out there touting 'Omega 3' that by themselves don't necessarily provide a balance.

Here is a study on the importance of Omega 6/3 ratios..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909
Report Spam   Logged

Spirit fox

in search of all that is, was and will be

« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2009 05:12 pm »

I thought Omega 3 was only found in fish oil. Can you explain to me, this ratio business ? this 6 to 3 ? Does the first number relate to Omega 6 and the second number relate to Omega 3 ?

for example: Pecans 20.9 to 1, translation please ?

Spirit fox
Report Spam   Logged
o-polly

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2009 05:52 pm »

Certain fish (typically ocean caught) seem to have the highest level of Omega 3 so for that reason fish oil is sold as a supplement. But there are also vegetarian Omega 3 supplements.

Pecans for example; http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3129/2 As you can see from the link (if you scroll down a little) a cup of chopped pecans contains a total of 22487mg Omega-6 fatty acids *and* 1075mg Omega-3 fatty acids, so.. roughly 21 times as much Omega 6 than 3.

So if you're eating lots of pecans you might want to balance that with say.. hickory nuts which are more like 1:20 Omega 6 to 3.
Report Spam   Logged

o-polly

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2009 05:57 pm »

Another article saying more of the same in layman's terms..(I *am* a layman by the way)
http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/9483.html
Report Spam   Logged

Spirit fox

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2009 05:59 pm »

Many thanks o-polly ! I have heard of the Omega 3/ fish oil supplements. Also heard there is a strange taste to them, after they dissolve. Do you know if this is so ? And if so, which variety/ brand might not have this strange taste ? If not, not a problem. Amazing ! vegetarian variety for almost everything.

Makes sense now this 6 to 3 ratio idea, always thought almonds were a healthy choice, but perhaps not containing this Omega 3/ 6 as it is not on the list.

Many thanks for the extra link, you are a layman ? thought you were a parrot ? no wonder, this 6/3 ratio info is confusing, I am a fox.

Report Spam   Logged
o-polly

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2009 06:10 pm »

I've never tried fish oil and don't really know that much about supplements. Except that when you look on the label it says "take with food".

So basically I want to skip the supplement and take the food that has the same thing.

Everyone's health and diet plan has a priority. In my case, since I am 53 years old and climb ladders and crawl along baseboards for a living I am trying to eat for joint health.

So, almonds may be healthy for a host of other reasons, even if they do have 2000 times as much Omega 6 than 3. But to compensate that you might just have to open up a can of cat food (er, uh tuna fish) every once and again!
Report Spam   Logged

Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2009 08:45 pm »

O-Polly thanks for bringing up this interesting topic. Hello i just jumped into this topic so i apologize if you have covered some of my questions. If so just direct me to reading i missed. i think that Omega 3 is heavy in certain peanut butters. Perhaps it is because companies are adding it. Also omega 3 is heavy in flaxseed oil athough it is expensive. Finally i do not know what Omega 6 is and i am not familiar with it. i am interested in the joints as i too am over 50 and expereincing some problems with my knee joint and/or tendon. A strange thing is that i never remember hearing anything about omega years back. It seems like a new discovery or people just started taking an interest more recently.

Steve
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2009 08:48 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
o-polly

« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2009 12:57 am »

I'm learning as I go, but basically it seems that Omega 6 is just as important, you just don't have to try as hard to find it. One of the reasons why we are so out of balance is due to things like margarine, partially hydrogenated cooking oils; corn and soybean oil that are found in a multitude of snack foods, junk foods and all kinds of pre-prepared foods. These all have disproportionately high levels of Omega 6 to 3 as do peanuts, etc., so it's probably good that they are trying to fortify some of these things.

Take a look at the Omega numbers here on cooking oils, lower left part of the page..
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/580/2

Here's someone who equally touts the value of Omega6..
http://www.aboutomega3.com/omega_6_and_omega_3_its_all_about_balance.html

You might notice that tofu is actually loaded with Omega 3, but has 7.5 times as much Omega 6 (perhaps it should be fried in flaxseed oil, lol). Some beans however, which also have significant levels of both, like pinto, kidney beans, etc., more seem to represent a perfect balance.

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009 01:00 am by o-polly » Report Spam   Logged

Spirit fox

« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2009 05:57 pm »

o-polly

good thinking, why take supplements when you can take the actual food - tastier I am sure.

about the ladders, better to climb a ladder than walk under one !

So, almonds may be healthy for a host of other reasons, even if they do have 2000 times as much Omega 6 than 3. But to compensate that you might just have to open up a can of cat food (er, uh tuna fish) every once and again!
something not quite clear here, a can of cat food ? don't tell me you snack on that ? or does it have some mysterious health qualities unknown til now ?
Report Spam   Logged
Lauraa49
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2009 12:25 am »

according to the Edgar Cayce teachings and channelling ..

.a almond or two  a day will keep cancer away

Report Spam   Logged
Spirit fox

« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2009 05:20 pm »

many thanks ! will keep almonds on the list
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2009 07:07 pm »

Helloooooooooo o-polly, nice to see you posting !  Smiley Thanks for sharing this information on the Omega 6 & 3's and the links to go with them.

Into Blue
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2009 06:27 am »

Tonight I heard an interesting piece of information on the radio, about Tilapia fish. It is not as healthy as one might think, seems like it has a large amount of the Omega 6, which they said was a bad fat, as compared to the Omega 3. If one is concerned about heart healthy foods, this Tilapia fish, is not the one to be eating. Cold water fish, such as salmon, anchovies, and other fish, can't remember exactly which other ones, were on the preferred healthy eating list.

This caught my attention, as I remembered this topic on the Omega 6 to 3 ratio, and I happen to like the taste of the Tilapia fish, a mild tasting fish. Guess I have to switch to salmon. I really don't like fishy tasting fish, lol !

Into Blue
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2009 09:03 am »

Please Into Blue no more fish swimming in my stomach. i just get sea sick thinking about it. Let's get off the aquarium subject.

Steve
  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print