Spiritual Portal
Oct 15, 2019 07:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Daze of Heaven on Soundcloud

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Consciousness

Recent Items

Views: 10
Comments (2)
By: kingfisher111

Views: 8
Comments (1)
By: Steve Hydonus

Views: 3
Comments (0)
By: tides2dust

Views: 4
Comments (0)
By: Steve Hydonus
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Consciousness  (Read 29 times)
kingfisher111
Administrator

« on: Mar 19, 2019 08:05 pm »

In an effort to become more aware of my thoughts I've noticed certain indulgences induce a sort of, vegetated state of consciousness.
One, when watching TV and the other over-eating. I think it was surprising to find such resistance to combating the desire to be lulled into this state. I see this as a consequence for having developed the habit from youth. I think some people might prefer this vegetated state tricking themselves into thinking it is some form of relief since trying to constantly scrutinize ones own thoughts is no easy task.

last night I encountered something very similar to this.  I was eating too late, a not very healthy meal... but while at this restaurant I was reading the wikipedia page on my phone for Shankara, which was interesting.  Then the table next to me was seated with a guy and two girls in their early 20s, drunk and electrically charged with loud conversation about sex and fighting.  It was a trip.  I lost all focus on what I was reading and gave in to the desire to eavesdrop on their vapid nonsense conversation. 

It derailed my focus for the rest of the night. 

At the same time, I love when this happens, whether I "overcome the obstacle" or "succumb to hypnosis", cuz even if I get distracted by some lower chakra event, I can compare how it happened and how long it lasted with my past. 

TV is a funny "ensnarement", because now-a-days with Netflix and YouTube you can find so much specific stuff, it's endless trivia and entertainment to your own taste.  But I think a little bit is ok.  We are not separating from the World, so we can learn a lot from it and through that ourselves, so long as we have a healthy balance with our Spiritual Practice, I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: