Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 07:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Yogananda's Pet Deer

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yogananda's Pet Deer  (Read 292 times)
guest88
« on: Aug 01, 2018 08:34 pm »

Taken from Founding a Yoga School in Ranchi... This beautiful lesson teaches us the evolution of the soul through animal to its next phase, the miracle of prayer and faith, the realization of the soul in all forms of life, spirit communication on a dream level and the realization when we pass that there is a place we all may go to rest in eternal bliss, even if it is just a rest- a passing of an unknown or unregulated amount of time...
Peace....

With twenty-five fertile acres at our disposal, the students, teachers, and I enjoyed daily periods of gardening and other outdoor work. We had many pets, including a young deer that was fairly idolized by the children. I, too, loved the fawn so much that I allowed it to sleep in my room. At the light of dawn the little creature would toddle over to my bed for a morning caress.
   One day, because some business would require my attention in the town of Ranchi, I fed the pet earlier than usual. I told the boys not to feed the fawn until my return. One lad was disobedient and gave it a large quantity of milk. When I came back in the evening, sad news greeted me: "The fawn is nearly dead, through overfeeding."
   In tears, I placed the apparently lifeless pet on my lap. I prayed piteously to God to spare its life. Hours later, the small creature opened its eyes, stood up, and walked feebly. The whole school shouted for joy.
   But a deep lesson came to me that night, one I can never forget. I stayed up with the fawn until two o'clock, when I fell asleep. The deer appeared in a dream, and spoke to me:
 "You are holding me back. Please let me go; let me go!"
 "All right," I answered in the dream.
   I awoke immediately, and cried out, "Boys, the deer is dying!" The children rushed to my side.
   I ran to the corner of the room where I had placed the pet. It made a last effort to rise, stumbled toward me, then dropped at my feed, dead.
   According to the mass karma that guides and regulates the destinies of animals, the deer's life was over, and it was ready to progress to a higher form. But by my deep attachment, which I later realized was selfish, and by my fervent prayers, I had been able to hold it in the limitations of the animal form from which the soul was struggling for release. The soul of the deer made its plea in a dream because, without my loving permission, it either would not or could not go. As soon as I agreed, it departed.
   All sorrow left me; I realized anew that God wants His children to love everything as a part of Him, and not to feel delusively that death ends all. The ignorant man sees only the unsurmountable wall of death, hiding, seemingly forever, his cherished friends. But the man of unattachment, he who loves others as expressions of the Lord, understands that the death the dear ones have only returned for a breathing space of joy in Him.

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2018 08:44 pm »

perhaps we can tap into this eternal bliss in this waking life, is this samadhi?
also, if death is not the end, could our friends from past live's be here now- or can we cross over to the spirit plane and talk to our great ancestors?

just thoughts spurred from a beautiful chapter...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: