Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Deterring challenges to meditation

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deterring challenges to meditation  (Read 434 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Nov 08, 2018 01:16 am »

I have thinking about the deterring negative thoughts during meditation and watch them as they battle with
soul soldiers of righteous intentions. These are some I have had to contend with;

1. I have so many things to do. So how can I relax and let peace and joy manifest in my consciousness?

2. I am too cold or too hot ; the atmosphere is just not perfect enough for me (lol)

3. I will finish my meditation when I’m in the mood for it...( yea rite! Lol )

4. I have too many itches right now.

5. I am just not experiencing anything right now.

6. Just let me check that one last text that came in on my phone.

7. I am just having a difficult time focusing on practice right now.

8. I am tired right now. Perhaps later.

9. I am hungry; let me eat first.

10. I have other responsibilities

The mind can come up with endless excuses why not to meditate but will it also come up with reasons it is important to to combat these wayward thoughts and more importantly can we just be an observer to such thoughts letting them come and watching them
go?
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2018 05:30 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2019 06:10 am »

Thank you Steve.
It is difficult sometimes. I know emotions are transitory but I wonder, do you ever find yourself running away from meditation? Some days my mind wonders from emotional pulls and I'll think meditation is the solution to my "problem", yet in these moments I sometimes feel extreme or ill-mannered(childish) resistance.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2019 03:55 am »

Thank you Steve.
It is difficult sometimes. I know emotions are transitory but I wonder, do you ever find yourself running away from meditation? Some days my mind wonders from emotional pulls and I'll think meditation is the solution to my "problem", yet in these moments I sometimes feel extreme or ill-mannered(childish) resistance.

At this point in my life I do not find myself ever running away from meditation or at least in the way I am interpreting your statement. Rather I find it difficult to find enough time to meditate as much is I want.  I think the benefit of having many spiritual disciplines in the practice of meditation helps us when we are not emotionally equipped to the discipline of long meditation every day. By this I mean Hatha yoga, energization exercises, maha mudras, Spiritual readings, spiritual company, seva and the Om technique as examples. Each of Us find our own individual solutions to the vacillations of emotions from many lifetimes that confront us presently. I noticed that you are using the Solar meditation of guru Naht.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2019 04:19 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2019 05:44 am »

Yes, I am literally taking the first steps into practicing the Surya meditation. My friend helped me better understand the motions today so I am very much looking forward to making this a regular practice!

Hey, this is the thread I was mentioning on the phone. In your first post you said something that has been screaming at me,

it is important to to combat these wayward thoughts and more importantly can we just be an observer to such thoughts letting them come and watching them
go?

Interesting to note, this gravity we place on certain thoughts and impulses. The mind can become restless and there is a phenomena created within translated as want or need, the development of samskaras and other chemical dependencies and cravings. Often the idea is greater than the reality, sometimes there is regret but what i find peculiar is the weight behind the impulse. It is my hope that thoughts and impulses are something I can watch come and go. I think this will be the case for even things like eat and sleep as I delve more. Not saying to I am to go without eat or sleep but implying it is possible to overcome greed and keep from being ruled by and solely identified as bodily consciousness.

Well, thanks for the lessons.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2019 03:30 am »

Steve,
I can't find the post where you mentioned suppressing urges, but this thread and that post are connected.

Here is where I am at in GTWA that speaks directly to us,

II:21

"When sense pleasures are routed by self-control, their forces are at first inhibited, suppressed within. The devotee's continued spiritual actions then cause the Self to transmute them to a finer state for the sensing of higher bliss. For example, if a person is greedy and eats too much, he may suffer from indigestion; if by self-control he abstains from overeating, he is initially only suppressing greed. But if he transmutes his greed for physical food into greed for continuous communion with God, he does not destroy his excessive appetite but changes it from an evil agent into a medium for good.

When man begins to slay his temptations and desires for material comfort, he should no condemn himself as a cruel tyrant, a joy-killer! Nor should he label the Divinity within him as the Devourer of sense pleasures! As the devotee gradually destroys his evil inclinations and feels desolate without those pleasures, he should console himself with the thought that his pleasure-loving experiences have not been destroyed; they are in the process of transformation, to be lighted through meditation from the plane of misery to the joyful plane of God-attachment.

The devotee is therefore justified in transmuting his evil desires. He does not suppress or kill them, for that would make him a mental fossil. On the contrary, it is through the thirsty mouth of transmuted desires that he drinks the immortal nectar of God-Bliss!"
-Paramahansa Yogananda
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: