Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 04:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Early Ramana Teaching

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Ramana Teaching  (Read 521 times)
kingfisher111

« on: Apr 09, 2019 08:34 am »

Self inquiry appears to be the trapped in its own questioning dialogue. For me-so far-self -inquiry has not been helpful in meditation. It just leads to more thought and thought is a product of mind; the chatter of the mind. Of course I cannot speak for others but only myself. I Wonder how Ramana would respond to my situation and my Response to him....

I Find it is better not to ask any questions but rather practice techniques that help extinguish the thoughts because just behind our thoughts Is bliss. The More I ask about my thoughts; the more I’m inundated with new thoughts.The real self reveals itself for this entity-that I call me-for a Lack of better words-when all questions answers witticisms and criticisms are silenced. So I would call what Ramana calls self inquiry; introspection, Which is also a necessary ingredient in spiritual evolution and enlightenment. I do not claim to have the only technique to enlightenment-nor to say his technique wouldn’t work for someone else-only to express my experience with what Ramana has explained here that I have Found indispensable to spiritual enlightenment or experience of any sort that is introspection. Because without introspection behavioral patterns and habits remain; Many of which are a detriment to spiritual experience.

You've got the right idea Steve, but Self Enquiry is just another word for what you mean I think.  As Brock points out, it's not introspection or self-analysis.  It's a return to Self, the I AM that comes before thoughts emerge.

The actual practice can look similar to meditation, except when thoughts arise like "I am meditating", you can ask "who is meditating?", and then stay there, where you feel the "I".  Ramana said the "I" arises from the heart, two fingers to the right of center, but this physical location is also Universal and not the greatest truth, but can also be helpful in practice.

All forms of meditation lead the mind to focus on one thing.  Ramana said once all other thoughts have subsided and the mind is "single point focused", that thought can go too, like the last stick being used to stoke a fire, that final stick or thought is put into the fire and the Mind returns to it's Source, I AM, God, Love, Oneness, Peace, Self, etc.  which is experienced without any thoughts or mind (those words are just "pointers", not descriptions, because no idea or words can describe the Infinite Self-Luminous Self).

That's my current understanding, based on Ramana and other's teachings of Self-Enquiry.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2019 08:36 am by kingfisher111 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: