Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 02:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Excerpts from God Talks With Arjuna by Paramahansa Yogananda The Battle of Life

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Excerpts from God Talks With Arjuna by Paramahansa Yogananda The Battle of Life  (Read 121 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Jun 27, 2019 06:08 pm »

https://yogananda.com.au/gurus/yogananda_quotes_42battle.html

Eric lately I’ve seen you write quite a bit about the Bhagavad-Gita here at the forum and also you have spoke quite a bit about meditation and the difficulties involved and challenges. I thought I might send you this link it reaffirms some of the things you have been talking about.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019 06:11 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2019 06:20 am »

Thanks Steve. I am touched by all of this reinforcement happening in my Life lately. I can not say I am *there yet* I can say now is the time to pray and sit in introspection, these gentle nudges have brought much revelation and are really the cure to my Ego and this psychological malady. These nudges are actually not new, God is always present, but so often I have disregarded them and have been unaware as to the reason for my loss of friends, embarrassing behavior or even poor reputation because I'd have rather indulged the senses unwittingly to the point of perversion. Sometimes my ignorance is intentional, like a child throwing a fit, my senses beg for attention. After enough suffering I am trying to undo the damage, I know it's going to take a while... but the commentary provided by Yogananda in GTWA is like my best friend and safe haven. I won't stop fighting, even if I am to lose a couple more battles.

I was going to share a little inspiration from Yogananda on self-control, surprised by your thread here, I figure this is a good place to put it.
Chapter 1 Verse 36 Page 151
 It's a reply to Arjuna's concern and argument that to go against the senses which are a divine creation of Nature is a Sin. He argues spirituality is about Love so he should instead accept and befriend his family born from the blind-sense mind because he is somehow appeasing Nature and the call to Love by doing so.

"The scriptures and Masters do instruct the devotee not to destroy the actual senses, but to slay their bad habits. The devotee is not asked to blind his eyes, deafen his ears, nor to paralyze his sense of smell, taste and touch. He is directed only to dislodge the enemies of optical, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, and tactual attachments, which keep the soul imprisoned, forgetful of its omnipresent kingdom."

On Self-Control... Repeat to yourself,

"By the repetition of my ignorance-born evil actions and bad habits initiated by me, I have been compelled to love sense pleasures. Now I will undo all the evil by substituting good actions through the exercise of self-control, until good habits are firmly formed. I will substitute for the evil habit of sensory restlessness the good habit of calmness in meditation. My good habits will so convert my senses that I may truly see, smell, taste, touch, hear, think and feel only that which is good."

***Some important notes by Yogananda, he cautions devotee's to be mindful of false reasoning as they spring up and to recognize that good habits can take anywhere from 8-12 years to be formed.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2019 11:18 pm »

The Bhagavad Gita
Royal Science of God-Realization
commentary by Parmahansa Yogananda

II:16
"Of the unreal, there is no existence. Of the real, there is no nonexistence. The final truth of both of these is known by men of wisdom.

The senses say that the flower that was never born has shed no fragrance; things that were never real have ever been nonexistent. But the garden rose, by its fragrance, and the stars, by their twinkle in the sky, proclaim their reality. The seers of truth, however, known them all to be equally unreal; for the rose will fade away, and many a distant star whose glimmer dots the heavens has long since ceased to be. Could something become nothing? Possessors of wisdom perceive as real only That which changes not- the Essence that became the star and the idea of the flower in the poets mind. The wise alone know the mystery of the real and the unreal.

*'All objects... are fictions: chimeras of the mind. It is our left [brain] hemispheres... that trick us into seeing sheep, trees, human beings, and all the rest of our neatly compartmentalized world. We seek out stability with our reasoning consciousness, and ignore flux... Through this classifying and simplifying approach we make sections through the stream of change, and we call these sections 'things.' And yet a sheep is not a sheep. It is a temporary aggregation of subatomic particles in constant motion- particles which were once scattered across an interstellar cloud, and each of which remains within the process that is the sheep for only a brief period of time. That is the actual, irrefutable case...
'We slip so easily into the habit of assuming that what we see and feel in our minds is what is actually going on outside ourselves, beyond the portal of the senses. After all, we are only inches away from the borders of this seemingly familiar land. But there are no colors out there, no hot or cold, no pleasure or pain. Although we experience the world as a series of sensory objects, what actually comes to our senses is energy in the form of vibrations of different frequencies: very low frequencies for hearing and touch, higher frequencies for warmth, and higher still for vision... The radiations we pick up trigger neural codes that are made by the brain into a model of the external world. Then this model is given subjective value, and by a trick of the brain, projected outward to form the subjective world. That inner experience is what we habitually equate with external objectivity... But it is not objective... All of perceived reality is a fiction.' -Equations of Eternity: Speculations on Consciousness, Meaning, and the Mathematical Rules that Orchestrate the Cosmos, by David Darling, Ph.D. (New York: Hyperion, 1993).

The ordinary individual considers matter as real (because manifest); he ignores the Spirit as unreal (because hidden). This delusion enshrouds him in ignorance and suffering. The wise man tears aside the appearance of delusive creation and, perceiving the Everlasting Reality, is permanently happy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2019 11:23 pm »

Great determination of will is required to win the first inner psychological battle to keep the concentration steady and interiorized.
   The devotee will be aided in this if he recognizes the intimate interrelation of the four factors of mind, breath, vital essence, and bodily life energy.

The path of performance of right actions without desire for their fruit, plus meditation on me by yoga technique, is superior to the life of meditation without outer activity.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: