Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 05:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Coffee

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 869 times)
guest88
« on: Aug 13, 2019 10:02 am »

today when asked, "would you like some more coffee?" i said no thank you...
having an addictive personality, i find the idea of being buzzed off of coffee greater than the reality. often to much caffeine results in responding from a restless/agitated state of mind. but wouldn't you know it? i caved in and ended up drinking another coffee when i got home.  Angry
it blows my mind just how strong these pulls for a lesser desire can become, and why is it i can't just switch it off? maybe i can, i probably should have tried to meditate instead.

have you ever found yourself too distracted by cravings?

this animal mind of mine sure likes to fight back... grr... still... i am trying to make friends with it and teach it how to crave good habits. i do think regular practice in meditation becomes sought out by the same mind that tells you to drink more coffee.  Tongue

did you know coffee pulls from the adrenals?

The Caffeine-Cortisol Connection

Here’s a fact: cortisol, the stress hormone, is released after consuming coffee whether you’re under mental stress or not, according to a study published in the February 2008 edition of “Psychosomatic Medicine.” So, let’s talk again about fatigue and insomnia, which are related to caffeine and cortisol.

Cortisol production is naturally high in the early morning, around 8:00 a.m. because one of its functions is to help you rise and shine for the day.

But, people who chronically stress their adrenal glands to overproduce cortisol change their cortisol concentrations so that it’s low instead of high when they wake up in the morning.

Of course, then they reach for a cup of coffee to artificially spike their cortisol levels again.

These same people experience huge cortisol surges at meals, which causes them to overeat. They, in turn, wind up with higher body fat, lower muscle mass, and a reduced metabolism so they burn fewer calories.

They don’t sleep well at night because elevated cortisol levels keep them from entering stage 4 sleep, which is the deep rebuild-and-repair sleep your body needs to feel rejuvenated and rested.
https://drjessechappus.com/the-impact-of-coffee-on-your-adrenal-glands/#
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2019 02:43 pm »

Thanks Eric. Not sure if you have seen this recent study;
https://www-m.cnn.com/2017/07/10/health/coffee-leads-to-longer-life-studies-reaffirm/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Drecent%2Bcoffee%2Bstudy%26qs%3DAS%26pq%3Drecent%2Bcoffee%26sk%3DPRES1%26sc%3D5-13%26cvid%3DEE422CEEB0B445ABBAD58384868016D3%26FORM%3DQBLH%26sp%3D1

Studies often change over the years. I was not familiar with the Cortisol issue. Would be interested to know where your info originated. Perhaps it is what Paramahansa Yogananda was talking about in the SRF lessons when he mentioned the detriments of caffeine in spiritual life. I think mostly because it impairs memory function.  I will quote it here when I come across it. I think I would be more receptive to a Masters guidance rather than a scientists studies however I do find that caffeine diminishes my craving for food while at the same time acting like speed on my bio functions and mental processes.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2019 03:00 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2019 05:54 pm »

the external stimuli coffee provides gives then takes, just like anything else we ingest. certain buddhist monks avoid caffeine or even foods that agitate one or produce restless energy. i find i am being selfish when thinking of the high i wish to experience from caffeine and am often blinded to the present for being too absorbed in the self. it's a battle to free ourselves from the pull of our desires, realizing lasting happiness can only come from within. peace to you my divine friend.
<3
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am »

the external stimuli coffee provides gives then takes, just like anything else we ingest. certain buddhist monks avoid caffeine or even foods that agitate one or produce restless energy. i find i am being selfish when thinking of the high i wish to experience from caffeine and am often blinded to the present for being too absorbed in the self. it's a battle to free ourselves from the pull of our desires, realizing lasting happiness can only come from within. peace to you my divine friend.
<3

Thanks for the helpful advice Brother! I actually have not drank any caffeine since reading this thread. But it is not that easy we often take a dip back to our old patterns. However I have found decaf with honey and some type of creamer satisfies some of a lasting addiction to that high your talking about. While even decaf has some caffeine I think it is a helpful substitute. What are your thoughts on its use?

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2020 11:04 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2020 04:49 pm »

It is much warmer here now and fruits and vegetables will soon be here. It is a whole different scenario in Michigan during the summer. I have read a lot about the merits of fresh lemons and have been squeezing them ... putting the juice in a mixer with honey water and ice and drinking it as a refreshing lemonade substitute to the dark qualities of caffeinated drinks.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2020 06:17 pm »

one step at a time. i'm just seeing if i can go a month without but i still have caffeine substitutes. i enjoy matcha. i think it'd be more beneficial if i were this meticulous with my meditation efforts. glad you are trying to kick a habit too. the thing he said is enjoy it, but when you need something in order to enjoy- that's when it's time to change your routine.
Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2024 05:13 am »

There was a time when I did a little better with less coffee. Now I drink a cold brew every morning. But I have a goal this year to severely reduce my caffeine intake. Having addictive personality, it's no wonder I can see a post made almost 5 years ago struggling with the same thing. This is how it was for alcohol. It took a serious desire, a lot of patience and a lot of pleading with God. By his grace that was cured. Now I must begin again with coffee.

I actually sell cold brews in my store, people really love it- and I love making beautiful blends with aromatic beans and mountain valley spring water. I will continue to make people coffee, and I will try to reduce my portion sizes and skip days.

My, 'kundalini' awakening could have been nothing more than the detox from years of alcohol abuse. I have heard coming off caffeine dependency can be equally damning. I'm a little nervous- but I am ready to reclaim some of the mental landscape.

There was a point in my life where I didn't drink any coffee and I had more sleep paralysis, OBE's, and in general- a better ability to feel whole in any moment with a type of calmness that caffeine only teases my brain with- "like riding the dragon" with pseudo-zen and forceful euphoria which would become a normal morning habit. No, it's time to get back to a Me I am beginning to miss.

Do I love coffee? Yes, absolutely. Nothing with sugars- not hot coffees. Just black cold brews. Maybe there is a healthy medium.

Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2024 05:51 pm »

Presently, coffee is seen, in moderation, as a good pro-health and pro-longevity substance. Of course, caffeine in excess can have negative results, especially so when taken by slow metabolizers and at night. So, often it is an individual issue.

Coffee has several beneficial effects from polyphenols and diterpenes, although the latter seem to increase LDL. Caffeine is good in the morning but can destroy circadian rhythm in the evening.

There are many strategies to optimize the beneficial effects of coffee, minimizing the detrimental effects (a bad one is its hypertensive effect).

My strategy: presently I only consume the Arabica coffee variety, which has about one half the caffeine than the robusta variety. I grind my own beans, so I'm pretty sure about it.

Also, I moderate its consumption and never take it after 2 P.M. If I feel like taking more than 2 espressos or to take it late in the day, I'll have decaffeinated, which contains very little caffeine, a negligible amount to act as a competitor of adenosine in the brain,

Neurologically, coffee affects some neurotransmitters, like dopamine, choline, adrenaline, with the net effect of greater alertness, energy, nervous activation.

In spiritual terms, it's highly rajasic, and rajasic can be useful in our society if we can manipulate this sattva to our advantage and with discrimination and wisdom.
Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2024 01:54 am »

Thank you mccoy, I am grateful for your perspective and happy you would reply to this thread.

It's rather interesting- to think what energy type is determined useful by society.

After meditating, my Mom called. I was feeling calm, but her response to my voice was- "What's the matter?" She assumed something was wrong, because her environment and society teach her that a gentle and quiet voice is either- an indicator of depression, or that something is lacking.

I don't think society gets things right. I always found it odd how it bothered my boss if someone, "appeared tired."

She assumed it meant a hinderance in their performance, but I think being calm and appearing tired can be similar to the untrained eye.

Society teaches people to hold those, "firing on all cylinders" on high. But I've met those kind of people, and their stress levels have hospitalized them and their mental energies have become imbalanced to the point of borderline personality disorder.

You're right, moderation is key. I know that's different for everyone. For me, I am at the point where I am trying to treat my delicious homemade cold brews and coffee shop purchases as a treat rather than feeling it a necessity.

Definitely, the energy from this psychoactive drug is often used as a crutch. I have leaned on it because I *enjoy it* but I realize my body is becoming dependent upon, and, my on-switch is needing to go back to off. Or maybe, better phrased- I am needing to re-center myself back to the default modus operandi. Nothing wrong with that, I find my dream activity increasing- I also find this challenge as an opportunity! Will I give up coffee? Not quite yet. But I think, like alcohol, there will come a time where I am just no longer interested. All is in perfect alignment with the spiritual journey/development.

I think that's really neat that you get beans other than arabica as an easy option in Italy. In America, almost all commercial beans are arabica. Now- let me share with you my joy in coffee.  Cheesy Presently, I am making cold brew. I use a 1-4 ratio. 1 cup organic arabica beans 4 cups natural spring water. My mason jar produces about 8 cups liquid total. I have two mason jars because I sell my creations at work.  Grin People love it!

My go-to is an organic dark roast mixed with a single origin bean. I find the smell of columbian beans orgasmic  Cheesy The result is something like a med-dark roast blend. A benefit of cold brew coffee is it's over 60% less acidic than hot coffee. But- your average cup of hot coffee(arabica beans) is anywhere from 75-90mg caffeine. Your average cold brew coffee is 200-220mg caffeine. That's a hell-uva difference in your morning joe.

I've learned it's best to be awake for at least an hour before going straight to the coffee, to be well hydrated, and to have some nutritious fat and protein for breakfast alongside your morning cup.

I'm learning a lot about coffee- Mccoy let me ask you something... Because "french roast" doesn't mean it comes from France- it just means it's typically a darker roast. I thought I read once, "Italian roast" is the darkest roast available. Is that true?

Well... For now, I am weening off- and there is interesting science behind what happens to the body I will see if I can share the video here. But I do intend on keeping this experience as a special treat!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2024 03:39 pm »

I'm not that huge a fan of coffee, but it recently became sort of a hobby, whereas my wife is a coffee addict.

In Italy, coffee has always been equal to espresso away from home, whereas at home it was traditionally equal to mokka brewed on a gas stove.

Presently, the espresso machines cited by Uwe, mainly with capsules but sometimes with paper filters, govern the market.

I recently switched from a plastic capsule espresso machine to an automatic machine, mainly out of concern for residuals of plastic material in the final beverage.

Also, the machine I own now (pretty expensive), has interchangeable containers for different types of beans (very handy when switching from caffeinated to decaf) , grinds the beans, and has adjustments for grinding, water quantity and temperature.

The above allows us to optimize for taste each chosen variety or mixture of varieties. I am experimenting with several varieties of Arabica coffee, to see if the final taste really justifies the cost. I haven't had the chance yet to taste Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee, the most expensive and renowned of traditional coffees (excluding the Indonesian Kopi Luwak, made out of grains defecated from a sort of local ferret).

The above being said, I still prefer cacao, I just mix the powder with hot water and add some honey, more often erythritol.

Also, I discovered that the world of coffee and caffeine content can be very confusing, similar to the world of nutrition. I'm going to paste some excerpts from the scientific literature. 

Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2024 05:08 pm »

Mccoy!

I made a cold brew called, "Jamaica Blue"

Which WAS the beans from the blue mountains of jamaica! It was so good that I could not sell it to customers at my store- why? Because it is also so darn expensive. It is definitely the cadillac of beans. $124 for a pound, $40 for a bag of whole beans.

The beans were a christmas gift to me from a friend. I love the little synchronistic moments here at the portal lately.  Grin There was an immediate caramel note upon initial sip. I was so shocked I thought someone added something to the beans. I did some research and learned a lot about the bean and how it was brought over from France a long time ago.

I had a custom label for Jamacia Blue and everyone loved it! I just gifted my last one to a friend and customer named Biaggio. Is it worth doing all the time? No. But if you manage to get some as a gift, it is definitely enjoyable for the connoisseur.  Tongue

I'm not sure if you were able to confirm in your last post-

Is "italain roast" the darkest style roast available? Do you know?

Thanks! 
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2024 12:22 am »

Eric, I never heard about Italian roasting before, after a quick search it appears to refer to high-temperature roasting, sometimes used to conceal the drawbacks of bad coffee.

I read a scientific article dealing with coffee properties and degrees of roasting, and that can be good evidence of the eventual loss of beneficial compounds. But I didn't delve into the details.

Jamaica Blue Mountains: the price you cite sounds like an average one, in a local shop I saw whole grains of Jamaica blue sold at 200 US$ per pound, but on the internet you can find it cheaper. I think that even in that variety there may be some more renowned plantations.

Before doing the madness of spending 100 US$ for half a pound, I'm going to try some less expensive brands of this coffee on the internet.

In the meanwhile, I tasted San Pedro from Puertorico, pretty expensive and excellent (63 US$ per pound) and Veracruz from Mexico, less expensive but not so good.

What I can say, San Pedro was very good as it was, without eliciting the need of sweeeteners.
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2024 12:31 am »

Just after replying to this post, I couldn't resist and ordered some Jamaica Blue Mountain from an Italian importer, at the relatively inexpensive price of 54 US$ per pound, whole grains.

I'm going to relate the experience!
Report Spam   Logged
guest587
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2024 02:31 am »

Thanks mccoy, I guess italian roast isn't a common thing afterall. I personally wouldn't want darker than french roast. I like medium-dark.

You're going to love the blue mountain bean!!  Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2024 11:22 pm »

I just had my first taste of JMB coffee, very little since it was at night. It's not a strong coffee, the guna qualities are mild rajas and maybe some notes of Sattva.

Physically, I could feel some licorice and this is one of those coffees that do not need a sweetener at all, it's excellent as it is, mildly bitter, with no aggressive background.

Maybe some adjustments to the coffee machine are needed to optimize its taste, but it seems already superlative.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: