Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Self Control

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Self Control  (Read 378 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Aug 23, 2019 02:19 pm »

Do you like practices of self control and to what degree? Do we all find self control boring at times? I recently have been rereading a book called ‘Initiation’ in which that question was asked. The answer for most of us practicing meditation and spiritual discipline is that we do not mind self control and find our lives improving because of it. But to what degree are we willing to practice self control and to what degree do we find ourselves in denial of our natural instincts if we always practice self-control? There is a danger in trying to overly control ourselves and also in finding self control boring as we spiritualized our consciousness. Sometimes the questions are more important than the answers because the answers lie in observation and understanding why we have such questions.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2019 02:33 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2019 07:53 pm »

Thank you Steve for these thoughts- they are in line with my current evaluations. I do practice and enjoy self-control and have also found it difficult. Meditation has minimized both the extremes and the damaging after-thoughts that used to follow. I've not renounced my desires completely because I find I am not ready but am viewing those greedier(self-gratifying) indulgences from a different lens and still learning new things! If I jump the wagon and go straight to being a renunciant I don't think I'd be doing my relative incarnation any favors. I think there are different rates in our evolution- what a child needs for its development an adult does not. Neglecting a body and mind born from nature has created imbalances that find ways to wreak havoc later in our lives. Then there are those, after having experienced their desires, are ready to let go of that which no longer serves them. What's interesting is that, progress or evolution has ways of looking contrary to others. In the end, it's all progress and it's between you and God- though others may relate, our experiences are indeed special- this is your gift, cherish it.

I think I will be coming back to this thread and re-evaluating things as, "time" "progresses."
 Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2019 06:06 am »

Sometimes I wonder, when knowing better, why I lose interest in things that bring about my ultimate happiness. Is it boredom? Why is it so rebellious in nature...?
I know by exercising self-control and pursuing a path which promotes health and allows me to feel more connected with God I am happy. I like how it makes me feel, how I see the world and behave with others. So why do people fall from grace- ?
I have steered off the desired path lately, I saw myself lose interest completely at one point, fortunately I am coming back to my happy center much faster this time around. I used to think it was a matter of balance, but it's odd how the mind will reject the things it once desired or even wisdom from past experience to satisfy or even over-indulge in self-gratifying impulses. When I do this, it's most always miserable- so why crave it? When I start gaining momentum in one area of my life, the things I am trying to overcome try to reason it out with me. If that doesn't work, it's like a different personality takes over. This is why I find GTWA so relevant when describing the battle between King Soul vs King Ego. The importance of meditation and faith in God. I recognize God has protected me even in the midst of my child-like tantrums and that meditation has eased the extremes in personality. I would say it's important to make meditation a habit, for overall well being.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2019 09:13 am »

To a large extend we are as we are and the way way we are determines our destiny. We are unable to change everything that has been developing in us thru many thousands of incarnations at least not in one incarnation alone. But every step we take brings us closer to our destiny. At some point we may enjoy the ritual of the discipline so much that it suffices to be the discipline. However even then there will come a time when the desires reveal themselves in certain conditions that manifest because of karmic factors. We may notice that these conditions are often spared us despite our wanting them to play out. Thus regardless of the self control we have achieved we may still have to face mixed and ambivalent feelings in ourselves that struggle for supremacy in the battle of king soul with the King ego as you mentioned. Our decisionS are unique and our own. Perhaps that is why we feel attraction and repulsion towards those we find that enter our energy field.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2019 05:48 pm »

I doubt that you and I and many others here have the risk of ‘jumping the Wagon’ and renouncing all desires; Grin .....but I get your point Eric and I have gone too far that  way in the past and then swung the other way as a consequence. An interesting feature I find in relationships is that we are often attracted to features in others that we may not have as strong in ourselves. This I have found to be true in my relationship with you as well as many other people in my life. Thus the radiation of their aura helps us in developing what we are trying to develop and admire in others. I certainly have found that to be the case in many intimate and close friendships and relationships.

You have to do what’s right for you. I can only tell you that I thought the energization exercises created by Paramahansa Yogananda May be of great help to you in developing discipline and balancing out the swings between discipline and dissipation. No one has to be a disciple of Paramahansa Yogananda to take the SRF lessons and learn the energization exercises in the first 8 weeks. They are a unique contribution that Yogananda has created for spiritual aspirants and develop the human will and have helped me tremendously keep more healthy than most people I have met in my life.

Below a picture of yours truly energizing in winter water wonderland. I energize twice a day as Paramahansa Yogananda advises to develop conscious will, conscious health and conscious vitality.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2019 06:11 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2019 05:50 am »

i love this picture of you brother!

yeah i think i might have used this wagon reference all wrong.  Cheesy

you've said some interesting things about aura's and the energization exercises that gurunath has touched up on when talking about kriya yoga and i will share it tonight.

peace divine friend  Smiley

PS, thanks for teaching me a new word!
dissipation... don't think I've ever used that in a sentence
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2019 07:03 am »

The practice of meditation which is actively seeking God has saved me. Steve, you too, from just the couple experiences you've shared with me, have been saved from wild circumstance without a scratch. You have told me that God has a way of protecting his devotee's. Tonight I watched a video by Gurunath called, "Ride through the Storm with Divine Social Security." He jokingly calls the social security number the number of Kriya Yoga you preform. Then he started talking about the influence of the planets. He said something like, his astrology reading was that of a man who should be dead already but because he is dependable on the Divine he is not as dramatically influenced by the planetary forces. This made me think of you, the recent attention to the YOD and then this thread.

Even though I have drifted from my exercises perhaps these last couple of days were planetary influences and because I think I have been practicing so adamantly and becoming so immersed in living meditation just prior to, I did not drown from these trials. In reality, they were short lived and I was protected even when I began losing consciousness. Yes, they are indeed trials but clearly I have not been able to rise above- my practices too have been short lived. My Mother noted an improved amount of patience in me tonight that I hadn't realized until after her saying so. All of these blessings come from pursuing God and practicing self control or living in an awareness of Love more often than not. Practicing is enjoyable, when you realize all of the benefits and actual Joy that comes as a result. In this way, I am feeling very fortunate to have come back to the path and to be surrounded by friends who too are interested in their ultimate liberation.

Why is it difficult? Because I am seeking a way of life I am not accustomed to and learning in the process. With sincere efforts, you really can notice the ways God blesses you along your journey. I am also noticing that I need more time and it may be a lifetime... I hope to Love others better.
Here's the video, if you are interested:
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2019 09:19 am »

Yea Gurunath has a calming affect on my ruffled thoughts. The yod I spoke of is neither good or bad Eric. It is awakening unconscious motivations in regards to romance, pleasures and relationships. It involves your shared values with others. It manifests in the death and rebirth of your values with others as well as perhaps deaths and rebirths in a literal sense as well. However specifically these will bring a new set of values with people because of psychic forces opening up inside you. No doubt your outlook on romance and sexuality will also go they changes. The social security associated with the number of kriyas definitely can blunt the negative impressions floating around caused by the release of accumulated karma. I wouldn’t want to be burning off karma without having the gurus to walk with talk with and their guidance in this process.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2019 09:49 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: