Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 01:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Your own vegetables.

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your own vegetables.  (Read 86 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Sep 04, 2019 04:03 pm »

Late summer and early fall are perfect for enjoying fruits and vegetables right off the vines and freshly picked from the fields and orchards. I thoroughly enjoy eating fresh leafy greens, legumes, tomatoes and berries, which is why I have a garden. Picking and preparing my own fruits and vegetables can be extremely rewarding, and an added plus is that it provides me with my own organic vegetables and cuts down on my food bill. You can’t argue with saving money and eating healthy!

Saving money is especially important right now, and not having to pay for your vegetables helps stretch your budget even further. I enjoy my summer garden so much that I make it a point to encourage friends to create their own gardens. It is easier than you think to create a garden even if you don’t have much yard space, Steve. A variety of tasty vegetables and berries can be grown on a deck, porch or even in a window box.

To begin you’ll need containers for your plants. You can recycle old flowerpots, large food containers, old wooden boxes and plastic buckets. If you decide to use a window box, it should be at least 6” deep to accommodate expanding root systems. Other than depth, the main thing is that there be drainage, so you may have to poke or drill a hole or two in the bottom of any container if it doesn’t already have one.

Plants like tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, squash and carrots require larger containers, while smaller plants such as strawberries, leaf lettuce, radishes, peppers and onions can use smaller ones. You can even get a little creative with an old washtub or discarded wheelbarrow. Each one is big enough to hold plants to make an entire salad. Use leaf lettuce, spinach, cucumber, parsley, tomato and chives together and tuck in some strawberries around the outer edges for breakfast or dessert.

Just be aware that if you are not planting directly into the ground, you will have to tend your garden a little more carefully, especially when it comes to watering. Don’t wait until the plants show signs of wilting and, at the same time, be careful not to water so much that they become waterlogged, either!

Make it a point to check your pots regularly for weeds. If you have trouble with pests, get advice from your local garden center for the safest and best products to remove them from your garden. Harvesting when vegetables are just becoming ripe will provide you with tender vegetables, while encouraging higher yields from your plants. Leaving nearly ripe vegetables and fruits, like tomatoes and strawberries, on a windowsill will help them to ripen.

It can be extremely satisfying to sit down to a meal that contains food from your own garden. Think about the multitude of benefits: you save money on your grocery bill, and you eat healthier as well by consuming produce at the peak of its freshness and nutritional content. So, what are you waiting for? Starting this project now, could carry you well into the end of fall.

https://forecast.myhealthwealthandhappiness.com/WebForecast/BJForecastNewFormR4.aspx?MyForecast=MTlANDE1NDBEMUQtQjUyOS00MTAwLUFBOTItRTQwNkNBRjI5RDFDQDIwMTkwOTA5QA%3D%3D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2019 04:06 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: