Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 09:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Uncle John; Grateful Dead

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncle John; Grateful Dead  (Read 96 times)
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« on: Jan 13, 2020 10:20 am »

reisfeldgroup
General Comment:
This web site is great! I've really enjoyed your comments. Here's my take based, in no small part, on the preceding comments and others I've read in connection with this site. I think Uncle John's Band is an Anti-War (Vietnam) protest song, encouraging people to actively oppose the war either by draft evasion, refusal to serve, fleeing the country or joining the protest.
"Well the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry anymore ...." may refer to life "on the lamb" in Canada as a draft evader, or at home as a protester with the reassurance that even though the draft dodger/protester might be lonely and uncomfortable that there truly was "danger at your door." In other words, the decision to leave/protest was wise, since the individual was likely to wind up impressed into service, via the draft.
"Will you come with me? Won't you come with me? ...WILL YOU COME WITH ME?" Also, to me, sounds like a direct call to either "join the protest" or leave the country to avoid the draft.
I also think "buck dancer's choice" is a reference to the draft. Based on other's comments, a buckdancer was one who moved his feet only, and in step to a set song. In other words, the buck dancer doesn't get to pick the song or "call the tune"; he simply decides if he wants to dance or not. And the reference to "better take my advice" followed with the invitation to "come with me" suggests that the singer is encouraging the listener NOT to dance to this tune (war).
This also fits with the question "Are you kind?" Because, the inference is that a truly kind person would not want to engage in killing.
I also agree with other postings that the "fire from the ice" is a reference to Robert Frost's poem about how the world will end. ("Some say the world will end in fire; Others say in Ice") and Frost equates fire with desire (a close cousin to "love") and ice with hate -- again a reference to the "choice" the listener has between peace and war.
The reference to living in a "silver mine" that the singer calls "beggar's tomb" -- may be an analogy to either the war, which was "big business" for the military industrial complex or America and the American dream, which is primarily materialistic in nature. If the former, then the mine is a literal "tomb" for the powerless "draftees." If the latter, then it's a figurative tomb for the spirit of those who refuse to stand up for their principles even if it risks depriving them of life on "easy street."

The next passage, "I got me a violin, and I beg you, call the tune" is to me, a direct challenge to the listener to get involved, make their own decision ("call the tune") and raise their voice in protest. The use of the word "beg" in this instance, emphasizes just how critical it is for the listener not to passively go along with what others are telling him or her. A violin is also another term for a "fiddle" which makes references to the notion that sooner or later, we all "pay the fiddler", i.e., the devil, for our choices.
The song goes on to say, the tune is "anybody's choice," and that the singer is listening "I can hear your voice," meaning that everyone's voice counts. And, of course, the song ends with the refrain, "What I want to know is: How Does the Song Go?," in other words, what will you say? What will you do, about the war.

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/grateful+dead/uncle+johns+band_20062544.html
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: