Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Mindfulness and Practicing the Presence

Recent Items

Views: 0
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 0
Comments (0)

Views: 2
Comments (0)

Views: 3
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Mindfulness and Practicing the Presence  (Read 2645 times)
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2009 11:07 pm »

now there would be a great benefit ! unlimited time, the things one could do with unlimited time
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2009 11:12 pm by Into Blue » Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2009 12:50 am »

Lessons are often presented to us in the most unusual ways. Take today, for example, I was doing errands. As I was backing out of a parking space, my mind was elsewhere - not really in the past, not in the future, but it definitely wasn't in "the now" .

And as I was backing out of the parking space, CRASH ! Shocked Out of nowhere, there is this vehicle sitting behind me. Strange thing is, I had just finished thanking the Angels for a favor I had asked of them, they must have been pre- occupied too, as they didn't warn me, or prevent what happened. The person in the vehicle was just there, didn't try to move out of the way, didn't honk their horn to warn me to stop, they just sat there and watched as it happened. This certainly brought me to " the NOW ! " in no uncertain terms, one could say.

Strange this discussion and all my questions about being in the now, well ~ I certainly got an answer, not quite what I was expecting, but then, are lessons ever really what we expect ? or do they happen when we expect them to happen ? most often not.... it is the unexpected happenings, that when we think back on them, turn out to be a message or lesson of some kind. Mine was " pay attention, be mindful and practice the presence ". Next time, I will just listen to Steve & Amor & Alfred Smiley

Into Blue 
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2009 06:28 am by Into Blue » Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2009 01:36 am »

Sorry to hear about you hitting another car, and them not doing anything. Sounds like they may of wanted you to hit them. Perhaps they were playing their role in you getting this message. Maybe that would be why the angels didn't warn you. Sometimes the easiest way to get us to listen to a message is with our attention. What better way to get our attention than to slam into another car.

Reminds me of a time when I let my emotions get the better of me while I was working. I was working at a District Manager who I am not fond of, because he has something against me, or what have you. Was doing what he does best and riling me up. Wondering why something was installed on the floor, and I had no clue as I did not install it. Which was true. So to shut him up I went to get cable ties to clean it up, and was really just annoyed, and angry.. I then had a fellow co worker call me, and while that was going on, and me being angry. In the heat of all that, and now being in the now. I locked me keys in my car. As I put them down, not realizing it as I was looking for something in my car.

That got my attention afterwards when I had to wait an hour for a locksmith to come and get my keys out.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2009 06:34 am »

Yes, I think you are right Amor , " the easiest way to get us to listen to a message is with our attention " . I guess sometimes we/ I just need a direct approach. I will certainly pay more attention in the future, or should I say " in the now "?

Keys, seem another way to get ones attention. Seems they usually either get locked in somewhere, or get lost. I think the key issue helps to slow us down, maybe a lesson on patience, because without the keys - we aren't going anywhere.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2009 07:15 am by Into Blue » Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2009 10:52 am »

Well that would give oneself a nice headache. It's an illusion that I am not in the now no matter where I am, or doing what I am doing. I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now.

What is it that you feel you are having a problem understanding, or getting?

Nomaste Amorabsolutus

What consolation would this philosophy have for someone that is having their leg sawed off because of gangrene who had been fighting in the Civil War?

Steve
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2009 11:32 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
amorabsolutus

« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2009 04:27 pm »

Nomaste Amorabsolutus

What consolation would this philosophy have for someone that is having their leg sawed off because of gangrene who had been fighting in the Civil War?

Steve

Well I'd be impressed that they were still alive now from fighting in the civil war, and really impressed that the infection didn't spread past the leg. Tongue

With that said it's not really relevant to the person as to when it happened. It did happen, and there is nothing they can do to change it. Many will fall into the path of suffering if they focus on the when's and how's. From there they will fall into well if I wasn't in the civil war, if I wore those thicker socks that I decided not to wear at the last min. I wouldn't be losing this leg now.

With that said when the guy fell, or did whatever he did, he did it in the NOW. There was never a time when he wasn't doing it now. When he gets amputated he is getting amputated in the NOW.

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2009 08:04 pm »

Nomaste Amorabsolutus

Steve

Well I'd be impressed that they were still alive now from fighting in the civil war, and really impressed that the infection didn't spread past the leg. Tongue

With that said it's not really relevant to the person as to when it happened. It did happen, and there is nothing they can do to change it. Many will fall into the path of suffering if they focus on the when's and how's. From there they will fall into well if I wasn't in the civil war, if I wore those thicker socks that I decided not to wear at the last min. I wouldn't be losing this leg now.

With that said when the guy fell, or did whatever he did, he did it in the NOW. There was never a time when he wasn't doing it now. When he gets amputated he is getting amputated in the NOW.

Nomaste Amorabolutus

i'm not sure that you are understanding what i am saying. Let us put it another way there is someone dying of starvation in the now right at this second of time. There is also someone being raped now or in these few minutes i am in the now. This will be true in your 'now' when you read this post.  Is there any consolation for them in your philosophy? There awarenes of the now is extremely painful. Would they want to be fully aware of that now? Would we want them to endure that suffering awareness? Your quote was: " I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now." So these people that are feeling these painful experiences are to be aware of them and be in the now? Wouldn't that add to the suffering? Can we be responsible if we are headed down the highway at nite and some one drives across the meridian with no lights on and hits us while we are in the now? Should we then practice being in the painful now as we sit there in agony and suffering from casualities? This now could be yours or mine at anytime. If we set foot in a car we must know this. If we breath in the 'now' a terrible catastrophy can be fall us from nature itself.

This is not the Cilvil war. This is the now. Some of these people are in the now and suffering is being thrust upon them. What consolation does your philosophy hold for those that are going thru this now? Should they be in the now and experience it to the fullest?

Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2009 09:13 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
amorabsolutus

« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2009 12:27 am »

Nomaste Amorabolutus

i'm not sure that you are understanding what i am saying. Let us put it another way there is someone dying of starvation in the now right at this second of time. There is also someone being raped now or in these few minutes i am in the now. This will be true in your 'now' when you read this post.  Is there any consolation for them in your philosophy? There awarenes of the now is extremely painful. Would they want to be fully aware of that now? Would we want them to endure that suffering awareness? Your quote was: " I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now." So these people that are feeling these painful experiences are to be aware of them and be in the now? Wouldn't that add to the suffering? Can we be responsible if we are headed down the highway at nite and some one drives across the meridian with no lights on and hits us while we are in the now? Should we then practice being in the painful now as we sit there in agony and suffering from casualities? This now could be yours or mine at anytime. If we set foot in a car we must know this. If we breath in the 'now' a terrible catastrophy can be fall us from nature itself.

This is not the Cilvil war. This is the now. Some of these people are in the now and suffering is being thrust upon them. What consolation does your philosophy hold for those that are going thru this now? Should they be in the now and experience it to the fullest?

Steve Hydonus

Greetings Steve,

What you are speaking of is a tricky question to answer as you have broke off into suffering. I understand what you are saying that if you are having something bad happen to you one should take their mind out of it, and think of a happy time, or goto their happy place. That does not change the current situation, as much as you think about being somewhere else. That doesn't change the fact that you are sitting there in a terrible opportunity.

Suffering happens when you start to live out of the now. When you start to repeat that said situation in your head, and feel that it's gonna happen again. If we focus on those thoughts every time we step out, we will stop living our lives in happiness. We will become fearful, and in some rare cases we will start to dread ever leaving our house. When you expect it to happen again, or to not be fine you will start creating suffering. Being in the bad event isn't the suffering. Reliving it is the suffering.

If one is being raped, yes it's not a pleasant experience, and I understand why one would rather not be in that moment, and be somewhere else.

But when they focus somewhere else that moment is still happening. There is nothing than can do to change that fact. What happens in that moment is up to them.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2009 01:36 am »

Greetings Steve,

What you are speaking of is a tricky question to answer as you have broke off into suffering. I understand what you are saying that if you are having something bad happen to you one should take their mind out of it, and think of a happy time, or goto their happy place. That does not change the current situation, as much as you think about being somewhere else. That doesn't change the fact that you are sitting there in a terrible opportunity.

Suffering happens when you start to live out of the now. When you start to repeat that said situation in your head, and feel that it's gonna happen again. If we focus on those thoughts every time we step out, we will stop living our lives in happiness. We will become fearful, and in some rare cases we will start to dread ever leaving our house. When you expect it to happen again, or to not be fine you will start creating suffering. Being in the bad event isn't the suffering. Reliving it is the suffering.

If one is being raped, yes it's not a pleasant experience, and I understand why one would rather not be in that moment, and be somewhere else.

But when they focus somewhere else that moment is still happening. There is nothing than can do to change that fact. What happens in that moment is up to them.

I find that several of your points are very good. Example: ' Suffering happens when you start to live out of the now. When you start to repeat that said situation in your head, and feel that it's gonna happen again.' However i would not concur that suffering results in living out of the now at all times since sometimes suffering is a result of the now. There is an interesting study it is called theodicy. Theodicy is a specific branch of theology and philosophy that attempts to justify the behaviour of God. Theodicy may also be described as an attempt to reconcile belief in God with the perceived existence of evil and suffering. You state that 'being in the bad event is not the suffering'. Tell this to someone that is being shot at this moment.

Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2009 05:51 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
amorabsolutus

« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2009 03:41 am »

You state that 'being in the bad event is not the suffering'. Tell this to someone that is being shot at this moment.

Steve Hydonus

Being shot, I would presume would be very painful. Not counting those that feel no pain. When you are thinking you are gonna die, you are not gonna make it. You are gonna bleed to death. You will never see your family again. Am I gonna goto hell? Was I good enough? Did I do everything in my life that I should of? Was I nice enough?

All that there is the suffering. If you notice in all of those thoughts those were past, and future connotations. What happened, or what will happen.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2009 09:03 am »

You state that 'being in the bad event is not the suffering'. Tell this to someone that is being shot at this moment.

Steve Hydonus

Being shot, I would presume would be very painful. Not counting those that feel no pain. When you are thinking you are gonna die, you are not gonna make it. You are gonna bleed to death. You will never see your family again. Am I gonna goto hell? Was I good enough? Did I do everything in my life that I should of? Was I nice enough?

All that there is the suffering. If you notice in all of those thoughts those were past, and future connotations. What happened, or what will happen.

Amor i am glad you brought up this subject again. i really do not think it is a 'trick question' as you described it. i do not think that one is always thinking of the past either. Have you ever felt excruciating pain? i have and most people have. You are totally in the now and feeling that agony and you would do anything to get out of the now. i am trying to make a point here. The point is that awareness is important at times. Although at other times like when we are in the trenches; all we can do is practice the presence or think of having divine help or pray outloud. Sometimes when we are practicing the presence all the time we often have to also be aware of what we are doing as well. Therefore it seems to me that practicing the presence and mindfulness are both an integral part of my spiritual life. There is no hard and fast rule for every occasion.

Finally we are never going to get out of this perdictiment called life where we have to feel these alternating waves of sorrow and joy, happiness and sadness, pain and pleasure etc. unless we practice meditation to eventually arrise above these doaulities.
Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 09:27 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Charmed*I'msure

love & magik enrich the soul & delight the heart

« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2009 08:07 pm »

Finally we are never going to get out of this perdictiment called life where we have to feel these alternating waves of sorrow and joy, happiness and sadness, pain and pleasure etc. unless we practice meditation to eventually arrise above these doaulities.
Steve Hydonus

" This perdictiment called life "?  what a way to describe it, sensing here a bit of frustration, sadness perhaps? Meditation helps to rise above this duality, how? escaping reality of daily life? Think there is a bit of duality there, meditation, reality?  meditation = peace, calmness, otherworldly focus, perhaps not grounded in reality?

Sorrow, sadness, pain  ~ all a part of life
joy, happiness, pleasure  ~ all a part of life
Everyone experiences all of these, focus is the word, focus on the first group and that is what happens more often
Bring focus to the second group, see what happens
Perhaps your thoughts on this will change? You attract to you, what you focus on

changing focus to *Love* in the NOW,

love in the past, wasn't meant to last

love in the NOW, is  * magikal *
who could ask for more?

love in the future, so upredicatable, you just never know what will be

Guess where focus should be?

magik & love,
Charmed*I'msure
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 08:35 pm by Charmed*I'msure » Report Spam   Logged

*in my wildest dreams*you are there *

*Enchant me with your magik!*
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2009 02:40 am »

" This perdictiment called life "?  what a way to describe it, sensing here a bit of frustration, sadness perhaps? Meditation helps to rise above this duality, how? escaping reality of daily life? Think there is a bit of duality there, meditation, reality?  meditation = peace, calmness, otherworldly focus, perhaps not grounded in reality?

Sorrow, sadness, pain  ~ all a part of life
joy, happiness, pleasure  ~ all a part of life
Everyone experiences all of these, focus is the word, focus on the first group and that is what happens more often
Bring focus to the second group, see what happens
Perhaps your thoughts on this will change? You attract to you, what you focus on

changing focus to *Love* in the NOW,

love in the past, wasn't meant to last

love in the NOW, is  * magikal *
who could ask for more?

love in the future, so upredicatable, you just never know what will be

Guess where focus should be?

magik & love,
Charmed*I'msure

Charmed i must have been... Sadness, frustration or a stretch of an over active imagination? In regards to what my dear?  Life is what you make it. If you make frustration and sadness out of it that is what you will experience. Of course we all have our moments that is why we are in this form as humans ascending towards spirit.

Rarely does one experience love over the internet and you can't know about meditation till you practice it. Until then how can we discuss those things we are guessing about? Some people like to talk endlessly but never make the effort to develop a friendship. Somewhat like some dragons that just blow a lot of hot air. It is tantamount to talking about honey but never eating it to experience it. The internet is a jumping board to true encounters with others. But some never get beyond typing on the threads and fear the jump.  Love and joy is here now but without meditation it is only temporary. What we see in others is in ourselves otherwise we would not recognize it in others. So why dwell on sadness and frustration?

Unworldly focus not based on reality? A worldly focus is? What is unworldly to one is reality to another. What is reality to another is simply fantasy to the enlightened.

In divine love i pray for you Charmed one... (From my thread 'The Miracle of Love') A rose by any other name is still a rose. True Love in the past the future or in the now is still love. If we have experienced it we can experience it again and someday it will be a part of our now at all times. I have experienced love. The Love of God has truly touched my heart and i felt ecstacy. Experiences like this are meant to stay with us forever. They are spiritual experiences. We ssek to make them a part of our every moment of existence.Steve Hydonus

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2009 11:50 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Charmed*I'msure

love & magik enrich the soul & delight the heart

« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2009 06:01 pm »

Steve, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. And also thank you for your prayers in divine love, spoken from the  *heart* , as is your thread *the Miracle of Love*.

Charmed *

Report Spam   Logged

*in my wildest dreams*you are there *

*Enchant me with your magik!*
amorabsolutus

« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2009 10:09 pm »

Amor i am glad you brought up this subject again. i really do not think it is a 'trick question' as you described it. i do not think that one is always thinking of the past either. Have you ever felt excruciating pain? i have and most people have. You are totally in the now and feeling that agony and you would do anything to get out of the now. i am trying to make a point here. The point is that awareness is important at times. Although at other times like when we are in the trenches; all we can do is practice the presence or think of having divine help or pray outloud. Sometimes when we are practicing the presence all the time we often have to also be aware of what we are doing as well. Therefore it seems to me that practicing the presence and mindfulness are both an integral part of my spiritual life. There is no hard and fast rule for every occasion.

Steve Hydonus

Hiya Steve,

I wasn't ignoring your reply. I was infact soul searching for an appropriate answer to share with you. One I spoke of trick question I was referring to the concept of "suffering."

Anyways, I will speak on what you said of being in excruciating pain. Let's use going to the dentist as an example. Getting those needles in the mouth, or having a tooth ache. You say that being in the now in those circumstances are not an appropriate time to be in the now. Let's say you are in the dentist chair, or leading up to the dentist, and are in pain. You then focus on not being in pain, or focus on the the day after the dentists trip. Focus on that time you went on vacation and had the greatest time of your life. Etc..

What you are doing is shifting your focus from the pain you are in to something else. In other words you are not concentrating on the pain. You have focused somewhere else. Some will say that pain really only happens if you think about it, or focus on it. In a way it is true. It's not that it doesn't happen it's that you have shifted your focus to somewhere else.

So being in the  now is not about the pain. Unless being in the now for you would be focusing on the pain that you are in. What about the chair you are sitting on, and the light that is shining down upon you. The air that is blowing on your face.. Etc..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: