Spiritual Portal
Mar 28, 2024 05:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Mindfulness and Practicing the Presence

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Mindfulness and Practicing the Presence  (Read 2648 times)
amorabsolutus

« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2009 07:44 am »

Thank you Steve for the Mindfulness Meditation. It sounds so easy to do, but it is those thoughts that seem to carry me away. I will practice this and focus on the breathing.

Do you think it would be helpful to add a mantra, like God Christ Guru or something, to help focus on the present/ presence or should I just try focusing on the breathing first ?

I remember something from a Buddhist meditation, talking about the thoughts. It was suggested as the thoughts come to mind, you could walk them ( the thoughts ) to the door and leave them outside the room. I thought this was an interesting suggestion, however, it seemed like I spent most of the meditation, walking my thoughts to the door, lol !  Grin

Into Blue 

I can tell you of an even easier presence meditation then the one that steve mentioned. I hope he doesn't mind. That would be paying attention to the moment you are in, and what you are doing now. Take for instance you walk down the street, and are singing do a diddy diddy dum diddy do. Pay attention to everything. Be in that moment. Notice your foot. Notice when you pick it up. Do you put it down ball first, or toes first. Notice the contact you make on the ground. Notice your hands. Do you move them? Do they go up and down? Do they stay perpendicular to your body? Notice the way your clothing moves with you. Does it affix itself to your body, does it sway in the breeze?

The more you focus on, and concentrate on what you are doing, all the way down to the finest detail the more you will notice you have no choice but to be in this moment. You will notice while you are focused on every second of now you will notice that your thoughts are not there, and you have become submerged in this moment that you don't have time for any other moment.

You can also do this while meditating. Paying attention to every part of your body, and limbs, and any sensations that may come up.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2009 05:39 pm »

The more you focus on, and concentrate on what you are doing, all the way down to the finest detail the more you will notice you have no choice but to be in this moment. You will notice while you are focused on every second of now you will notice that your thoughts are not there, and you have become submerged in this moment that you don't have time for any other moment.

You can also do this while meditating. Paying attention to every part of your body, and limbs, and any sensations that may come up.

Thank you Amor for your presence meditation idea. We are happy to have you share your mediation and your thoughts with us ! I can see how this would certainly call upon one to be in " the now ".

Ok, my next question here is and forgive me anyone if you have already answered this here or elsewhere ( please guide me to your answer )
What is the purpose of being in the now, in this moment ? So many people talk about this, I was just wondering. Is it just to be ' aware ' of all that is ?

Into Blue 
Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm »

I'm sure there are many many different answers to this. Some will say it's presence, some will say it's awareness. I will sum it up even easier, and I'm sure that others will say I'm wrong. I'm ok with that.

Now is all there is.. Everything else is an illusion. There is no tomorrow, there is no yesterday. Just this moment that you are at at this time of reading this post.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2009 02:40 am »

thanks Amor, not sure why, but this now moment takes a bit of getting used to. hmm, everything else is illusion ? so when you are not here, chatting in the moment with me, you are an illusion too ?  Grin no wonder it is difficult to still the thoughts in the mind if I am conversing in the past with illusions I once knew , wow ! Now there is a thought to ponder on.
Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2009 03:37 am »

thanks Amor, not sure why, but this now moment takes a bit of getting used to. hmm, everything else is illusion ? so when you are not here, chatting in the moment with me, you are an illusion too ?  Grin no wonder it is difficult to still the thoughts in the mind if I am conversing in the past with illusions I once knew , wow ! Now there is a thought to ponder on.

Well that would give oneself a nice headache. It's an illusion that I am not in the now no matter where I am, or doing what I am doing. I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now.

What is it that you feel you are having a problem understanding, or getting?
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009 03:40 am by amorabsolutus » Report Spam   Logged
guest46
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2009 07:29 am »

Well that would give oneself a nice headache. It's an illusion that I am not in the now no matter where I am, or doing what I am doing. I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now.

I am totally in the now when I watch Vertigo, Psycho or any of my other thrillers. You should try it for your own practice. You might be clenching your seat chairs abit. But at least you'll know you are in the now! You may think there is no future for you and you definatley won't be thinking of your past. I may even horrify  Shocked you. But the point is that you are in the now. Without a doubt.  Tongue

Your friiend Alfred

Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2009 05:53 pm »

whooooo are you talking about ?  you say Alfred has a good point, but you are quoting Amor

i think Alfred has a good point here. He may not even have known that he made it. That is: i don't think i would want to be totally in the now if i was in a horrible accident or had a painful tooth. When you think in terms of absolutes there are times that you can corner yourself by your own thought process.

Steve Hydonus

[/quote]

I am totally in the now when I watch Vertigo, Psycho or any of my other thrillers. You should try it for your own practice. You might be clenching your seat chairs abit. But at least you'll know you are in the now! You may think there is no future for you and you definatley won't be thinking of your past. I may even horrify  Shocked you. But the point is that you are in the now. Without a doubt.  Tongue

Your friiend Alfred

[/quote]

It's an illusion that I am not in the now no matter where I am, or doing what I am doing. I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now.

Does this help Into Blue? i put in bold the point i already made... JaiGuru
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009 08:37 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2009 06:08 pm »

whooooo are you talking about ?  you say Alfred has a good point, but you are quoting Amor
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2009 06:13 pm »

Your friiend Alfred

Quite the suggestion Alfred, without a doubt if I were watching one of your thrillers, I would for sure be on the edge of my chair !  Shocked and if I fell off that chair in all the suspense and terror, I would without a doubt be on the floor, in the NOW ! No questions about it !!

thanks, friend
Into Blue

Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2009 06:21 pm »

It's an illusion that I am not in the now no matter where I am, or doing what I am doing. I am never in the future, or in the past. I am and always will be now.

hi Amor, I don't think I am having a problem understanding " the now ", that seems quite clear. The confusion, I think is in the illusion idea, just not quite grasping that. The past and the future cannot be illusion, what happened happened, granted it has now become a memory, but fact is ... once upon a time it WAS the now. Same with the future, it WILL BE, eventually the now, we just don't know it at this moment in time, and when it does come, it will be the now.

If I recall, Yogananda also speaks of this life as being just a dream, kind of a similar concept to the illusion idea, as it is not real - we just think it is.

Ok, so if I am understanding the basic concept of the now, WHY is it so important to be in the now ?

other than to be aware of what is going on at that moment in time, and to appreciate all that there is

Into Blue
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2009 08:29 pm »

i think Alfred has a good point here. He may not even have known that he made it. That is: i don't think i would want to be totally in the now if i was in a horrible accident or had a painful tooth. When you think in terms of absolutes there are times that you can corner yourself by your own thought process.

Steve Hydonus

Quote from Alfred:

I am totally in the now when I watch Vertigo, Psycho or any of my other thrillers. You should try it for your own practice. You might be clenching your seat chairs abit. But at least you'll know you are in the now! You may think there is no future for you and you definatley won't be thinking of your past. I may even horrify   you. But the point is that you are in the now. Without a doubt. 

Your friiend Alfred

Quote from: amorabsolutus on December 15, 2009, 07:37:03 pm

Does this help Into Blue? As you can see i recopied my post and put my point in Bold and also qouted Alfred since it seemed to be needed for you.  Jai Guru
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009 08:41 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2009 08:47 pm »

Thank you Steve, for ALL you do - I do understand it now.

And I also thank you Amor.

No more questions  Smiley

Into Blue
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009 08:48 pm by Into Blue » Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2009 12:50 am »

hi Amor, I don't think I am having a problem understanding " the now ", that seems quite clear. The confusion, I think is in the illusion idea, just not quite grasping that. The past and the future cannot be illusion, what happened happened, granted it has now become a memory, but fact is ... once upon a time it WAS the now. Same with the future, it WILL BE, eventually the now, we just don't know it at this moment in time, and when it does come, it will be the now.

If I recall, Yogananda also speaks of this life as being just a dream, kind of a similar concept to the illusion idea, as it is not real - we just think it is.

Ok, so if I am understanding the basic concept of the now, WHY is it so important to be in the now ?

other than to be aware of what is going on at that moment in time, and to appreciate all that there is

Into Blue

Let's see if I can help you understand this "now" business. For starts how can the future not be an illusion. Well it hasn't really happened so there is no future. Nor do we know how that will pain out so in thinking of the future we can create undue suffering in ourselves wondering what if's. and what could be's. What happened yesterday only happened in the now, for you were in the now when it happened. It can, and only will happen in the now. No matter how much you think that it's already happened. It only happened now.

As to your question of why should we be focused on the now. For starters focusing on the future, and yesterday creates anxiety, fear, panic, turmoil, and a whole lot of other emotions that you feel are a result of what happened in the "past" and what could happen in the "future." When you are focused on those time periods you are not concentrating on the most important time, now, and you can end up missing out on things because you are afraid of past failures, or what may happen.

Another very crucial part of the now is if you know of the power of affirmation, and manifestation. Those tools we are capable of only happen in the now. You can't create something to happen yesterday, or something that happens tomorrow. You can only create it now.
Report Spam   Logged
Katze

somewhere in Salem

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2009 08:00 am »

Thanks for the explanation Amor. Makes sense,  and one can hardly manifest something into the past, so that is one good reason for being in the now.  Smiley Now where did I put that list of manifestations to do ? lol !  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
amorabsolutus

« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2009 09:49 pm »

And as long as you are in the NOW you will never have the problem of never having enough time. When you are in the now you will see you have nothing but time.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: