Spiritual Portal
Apr 19, 2024 06:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Overcoming Restlessness

Recent Items

Views: 31
Comments (1)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 27
Comments (1)

Views: 40
Comments (1)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Overcoming Restlessness  (Read 5057 times)
guest88
« Reply #45 on: Jul 14, 2018 08:19 am »

I would like to thank you Steve for creating this thread,
Yoshi, Prabat, Katze, B, SI, Mccoy, Elfun and all others who have contributed to this spiritual anchor nestled here in the portal.

I was restless all day today, not just in meditation. I was restless upon waking. I felt off as I tried to combat it through out the day. Even at work, I noticed a customer exhibit very strange behavior. I greeted her when she walked in but was ignored; while I helped another customer at the cash register she was forced to wait behind him with her 1 item. Not even 2 minutes went by when she placed the item back and walked out the store seeming upset. The gentlemen I was helping even noted the experience.

I went running after work, I noticed my mind was going in all directions- yet running(one of the many physical activities recommended through out this thread) helped release a strain as my mind projected at least 3 or 4 different visions at rapid speed. Although I am still in a restless state- having that steady pace and physical exertion, allowing thoughts and visions to come, then returning to the breath helped release a lot of tension. So, this is not just a practice we do in stillness. Some of the visions stirred an excitement in me, I am hoping to see them in my near future yet I pray not be disappointed if they are in vain.

After taking a bath I tried to meditate- I remember reading from a friend on the importance of focus. I remember a teacher in my dreams explaining powers that one can achieve by intense focus. My friend once wrote, as a form of practice, he would start a fire and toss a stick in to watch it burn to ash without any active thought. This practice took him many attempts but he began to notice an increased attention span overtime and even inspirations as his meditations eventually provided him signs of spiritual growth. So, in my meditation tonight I tried focusing on a light above me, sadly I could not last 5 minutes before being pulled to walk away and give the family dogs a treat.

I would like to agree to Kriya Yoga as a way to develop the Will. Hazarat Inayat Khan has taught Will is the ultimate authority, for it was the Will of the Creator to Manifest. So, Hazarat Inayat Khan teaches one to discipline the mind in various forms... To sleep when you are not sleepy, eat when you are not hungry and vice versa to stay awake when you are sleepy or fast when you are hungry. Likewise, any form of Yoga should be helpful... It is silly to think we can overcome restlessness with the flip of a switch. With this, do what you can and know every contribution will pay off. Keep at the practice but do not resent a failure, do not become trapped in remorse. Keep on with your practices, do the best you can and think, "tomorrow will be even better."

I noticed a turning point in my mood through out the day. I was extremely uncomfortable from my restless state in the morning and became somber in nature- I continually prayed to God for support and understanding. I prayed for forgiveness with my quick to judge thoughts and asked for help. I think after praying for the restless women who entered the store my mood was already changing for the better. Oddly enough, she returned later on with a younger sibling or daughter by the looks of it. They did not come into my store but instead next door to get coffee. While I am certain it was her(same red car and same blue dress) even her face looked different- and as she parked in front of my store she did throw a glance in my direction this time. It was difficult to recognize her, even the car- identical in every way, felt different. It was this that caused me to rethink, maybe she was in a hurry and how foolish of me to feel offended by her actions.

After going inside from a seeming failed meditation I noticed some new dishes found their way to the sink and needed cleaning. Thinking I could surprise Mom I decided to do house chores at a very peculiar time of the night. Quietly and lovingly, there was a gentle magic here that helped ease my tensions since in my restlessness I was having very egoic thoughts that needed humbling.

I am all too happy for every effort provided here by our Spiritual family on recognizing an obstacle and providing unique understanding and solutions to it. I hope bumping this thread encourages anyone reading to please share, add to this golden anchor so it may better us all in our pursuits.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: