Spiritual Portal
Mar 29, 2024 12:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: https://youtu.be/4BulJAQo1TI

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Overcoming Restlessness

Recent Items

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)

Views: 4
Comments (0)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Overcoming Restlessness  (Read 4969 times)
mccoy
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2017 12:51 pm »

One further important observation. Everybody has things they want to accomplish and manifest in their lives: A home. Pay the bills. Get a car. Find a boyfriend or girlfriend. Experience an emotional high. Sexual satisfaction. The right political system that fits our ideas. Have friends. And the list goes on. But what we do not realize is that all these desires, though may not in themselves be bad, contribute to a restless mind. Very few people are happy with what is, what they have and more importantly what they are.

+1 on that, avoiding material and mental clutter is vital.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2018 01:21 pm »

Without a comfortable and relaxed body it is very difficult to meditate. This means keeping in shape so that we are not bothered by aches and pains. That is why hatha yoga was developed, energization exercises by Yogananda and
IAM exercises by Amma as well as hatha yoga at her retreats. However the mind itself makes the body restless and tense.
Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com
guest88
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2018 05:22 am »

I try to keep it simple and focus back to the breath. I layed outside tonight to meditate- we had clear skies. I noticed many distractions- like my thoughts and my surroundings. I continued to lay on my back and breathe. Every now and again my thoughts would pull me away from the present. Thinking on the past, thinking on the future- how I’d react or choose what to say to things that haven’t happened and truly don’t matter. I’d try to let these go by recognizing it as ego and maybe even a distraction from the present moment then going back to the breath. When I did this I noticed a comet. I think it was a comet, it was a quick white light shooting across the sky and quickly disappearing as it hurled forward. I thought that was pretty neat... anyways, sometimes a car would drive by and distract me from the meditation or some neighbors would walk by and I noticed them. I tried to dismiss it and keep my eyes rested on a fixed point in the nights sky and breathe. Tonight had many distractions and restlessness isn’t just physical but mental too. Slowing down and focusing back to the breath helped me be present, which is all I was trying to do tonight...
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2018 06:00 pm »

Eric and everyone else.

Thanks for this entry. Sometimes we feel as though we are alone in this struggle and it is easy to give up some of our practice because of temporary distractions and pressing concerns....never acknowledging that history on this earth has never been different personally and socially. There will always be drama around us to keep us away from our most important appointment and purpose in life. That is to use this life, while we can, to be spiritually free and find increased awareness and enlightenment.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018 06:02 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #49 on: Jul 14, 2018 08:19 am »

I would like to thank you Steve for creating this thread,
Yoshi, Prabat, Katze, B, SI, Mccoy, Elfun and all others who have contributed to this spiritual anchor nestled here in the portal.

I was restless all day today, not just in meditation. I was restless upon waking. I felt off as I tried to combat it through out the day. Even at work, I noticed a customer exhibit very strange behavior. I greeted her when she walked in but was ignored; while I helped another customer at the cash register she was forced to wait behind him with her 1 item. Not even 2 minutes went by when she placed the item back and walked out the store seeming upset. The gentlemen I was helping even noted the experience.

I went running after work, I noticed my mind was going in all directions- yet running(one of the many physical activities recommended through out this thread) helped release a strain as my mind projected at least 3 or 4 different visions at rapid speed. Although I am still in a restless state- having that steady pace and physical exertion, allowing thoughts and visions to come, then returning to the breath helped release a lot of tension. So, this is not just a practice we do in stillness. Some of the visions stirred an excitement in me, I am hoping to see them in my near future yet I pray not be disappointed if they are in vain.

After taking a bath I tried to meditate- I remember reading from a friend on the importance of focus. I remember a teacher in my dreams explaining powers that one can achieve by intense focus. My friend once wrote, as a form of practice, he would start a fire and toss a stick in to watch it burn to ash without any active thought. This practice took him many attempts but he began to notice an increased attention span overtime and even inspirations as his meditations eventually provided him signs of spiritual growth. So, in my meditation tonight I tried focusing on a light above me, sadly I could not last 5 minutes before being pulled to walk away and give the family dogs a treat.

I would like to agree to Kriya Yoga as a way to develop the Will. Hazarat Inayat Khan has taught Will is the ultimate authority, for it was the Will of the Creator to Manifest. So, Hazarat Inayat Khan teaches one to discipline the mind in various forms... To sleep when you are not sleepy, eat when you are not hungry and vice versa to stay awake when you are sleepy or fast when you are hungry. Likewise, any form of Yoga should be helpful... It is silly to think we can overcome restlessness with the flip of a switch. With this, do what you can and know every contribution will pay off. Keep at the practice but do not resent a failure, do not become trapped in remorse. Keep on with your practices, do the best you can and think, "tomorrow will be even better."

I noticed a turning point in my mood through out the day. I was extremely uncomfortable from my restless state in the morning and became somber in nature- I continually prayed to God for support and understanding. I prayed for forgiveness with my quick to judge thoughts and asked for help. I think after praying for the restless women who entered the store my mood was already changing for the better. Oddly enough, she returned later on with a younger sibling or daughter by the looks of it. They did not come into my store but instead next door to get coffee. While I am certain it was her(same red car and same blue dress) even her face looked different- and as she parked in front of my store she did throw a glance in my direction this time. It was difficult to recognize her, even the car- identical in every way, felt different. It was this that caused me to rethink, maybe she was in a hurry and how foolish of me to feel offended by her actions.

After going inside from a seeming failed meditation I noticed some new dishes found their way to the sink and needed cleaning. Thinking I could surprise Mom I decided to do house chores at a very peculiar time of the night. Quietly and lovingly, there was a gentle magic here that helped ease my tensions since in my restlessness I was having very egoic thoughts that needed humbling.

I am all too happy for every effort provided here by our Spiritual family on recognizing an obstacle and providing unique understanding and solutions to it. I hope bumping this thread encourages anyone reading to please share, add to this golden anchor so it may better us all in our pursuits.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #50 on: Jul 17, 2018 07:27 am »

Meditation!
I have found a reason for my restlessness comes with quitting things that no longer serve my greater good. From years of indulgence my mind has developed patterns which associates these outdated structures as comfortable. Now that the mind can not fall back on these actions it grows weary, agitated and feels stretched out. I am pleased this is the result and happy to seek a creative outlet. Reading, praying and focusing on the Breath are wonderful tools to add to the list provided in this thread. I read that we must eventually learn to disengage the senses however and go further within.

"If at this moment you could completely calm your body, your thoughts, and your emotions you would instantly become aware of your true Self, the soul, and of your great body of the universe, throbbing with the joy of God. The soul would be 'established in its own state.' Isn't it strange, that the joy of God is there, yet you cannot feel it? The reason you do not know His Bliss is that you are intoxicated with ego feeling(chitta)."
Taken from The Divine Romance by Paramahansa Yogananda
Chapter, How Feelings Mask the Soul
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: Jul 17, 2018 09:20 am »

Meditation!
I have found a reason for my restlessness comes with quitting things that no longer serve my greater good. From years of indulgence my mind has developed patterns which associates these outdated structures as comfortable. Now that the mind can not fall back on these actions it grows weary, agitated and feels stretched out. I am pleased this is the result and happy to seek a creative outlet. Reading, praying and focusing on the Breath are wonderful tools to add to the list provided in this thread. I read that we must eventually learn to disengage the senses however and go further within.

"If at this moment you could completely calm your body, your thoughts, and your emotions you would instantly become aware of your true Self, the soul, and of your great body of the universe, throbbing with the joy of God. The soul would be 'established in its own state.' Isn't it strange, that the joy of God is there, yet you cannot feel it? The reason you do not know His Bliss is that you are intoxicated with ego feeling(chitta)."
Taken from The Divine Romance by Paramahansa Yogananda
Chapter, How Feelings Mask the Soul

Thanks for adding this quote Eric.
Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #52 on: Aug 13, 2018 04:45 pm »

Every day is a battle. Some days we are so content with our progress, we embrace our failure without recognizing it. 26 days have passed since my Birthday, where my goals should have been met. I have not achieved everything I've wished to by this time. I will never give up. Some days, I don't even know what day it is! My efforts have increased, as have the resisting forces that keep me away from my goals(Goals like stillness). The resisting forces are not some demonic entity, it is in reality a great restlessness. Last night I had the opportunity to meditate but my mind said, "You are tired. Here, have a seat- watch TV. See how easily agitated you are? Here, eat some food for comfort. Don't worry about exercise tonight." I know the peace meditation brings so it bewilders me, how these old patterns persist! It is important to keep going, even when the mind is fatigued, don't stop! No... Look at it like this... When you are so restless you would rather do ANYTHING except meditate- Consider that there are forces keeping you away from a Glorious Revelation- A Grand Realization... Recognize that fatigue is because these outdated structures are beginning to Crumble! Don't strengthen their foundation!! This is really a note for myself when restlessness pervades and I can not sit still. I won't stop trying to break free... Persistence is key, with recognition some days are better than others. ~
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: Aug 13, 2018 06:18 pm »

Every day is a battle. Some days we are so content with our progress, we embrace our failure without recognizing it. 26 days have passed since my Birthday, where my goals should have been met. I have not achieved everything I've wished to by this time. I will never give up. Some days, I don't even know what day it is! My efforts have increased, as have the resisting forces that keep me away from my goals(Goals like stillness). The resisting forces are not some demonic entity, it is in reality a great restlessness. Last night I had the opportunity to meditate but my mind said, "You are tired. Here, have a seat- watch TV. See how easily agitated you are? Here, eat some food for comfort. Don't worry about exercise tonight." I know the peace meditation brings so it bewilders me, how these old patterns persist! It is important to keep going, even when the mind is fatigued, don't stop! No... Look at it like this... When you are so restless you would rather do ANYTHING except meditate- Consider that there are forces keeping you away from a Glorious Revelation- A Grand Realization... Recognize that fatigue is because these outdated structures are beginning to Crumble! Don't strengthen their foundation!! This is really a note for myself when restlessness pervades and I can not sit still. I won't stop trying to break free... Persistence is key, with recognition some days are better than others. ~

Most of it is the presence of latent desire that makes the consciousness ever static with restless percolating desires. The more we experience peace, love and bliss in meditation...the more we resolve to persist. That is why the company we keep and the circumstances we choose are so important. Allow time alone in nature if you are unable to find others in your area who are receptive to meditation. Our minds are often more clear after these temporary breaks from the physical demands of this dimension.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018 05:34 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: Aug 14, 2018 06:22 am »

I think we are all looking for depth of experience in one way or another. When we actually experience a moment of soul awareness it becomes clear to us that the activities of the restless body and mind continuously deter us from the blissful experience that is sought after. Thru focused awareness we become inspired more and more by the consciousness of those who have transcended mortal consciousness to penetrate the superficial states of awareness of most beings on this planet.

Many of us carry memories of peace and bliss experienced thru meditation in this or other lives. Or we may also have deep experiences of love we have felt for others and simultaneously we remember such poignant experiences of depth of feeling we have experienced through our love and loss of others. These experiences help us dig deep in our meditation to experience once again that depth of experience.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018 06:37 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com
guest88
« Reply #55 on: Aug 16, 2018 03:30 am »

Meditation has helped slow my thought process down and given me the opportunity to catch, when I'm not meditating, desires and emotions that are brought to the surface. The desire to eat, to reach out to a friend or to catch myself become upset by something or someone. Sometime's I question, where is this coming from? Sometime's not but there is a joy that comes with recognizing the surfacing of a restless thought. A joy in Understanding it. And There is also a joy that comes from letting it go and dissolving it into the liberating essence of no-thing-ness. From Autobiography of a Yogi, Yogananda briefly mentioned a great Saint Sadasiva who effortlessly stated, "Do not do what you want, and then you may do what you like."
Increasing our ability to focus is a skill, I have tried implementing watching ice cubes melt in a glass. Reducing my multi-tasking to a minimum and creating new pathways for the mind to rest on. There is a great unwinding and rewiring which has gone on now for nearly a decade, it is a life-style. Continual practice of meditation may help us overcome restlessness, as does questioning our impulses on a daily basis.

Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2020 09:48 pm »

when feelings of restlessness comes the mind craves to satisfy, something. but even if we satisfy that something, it is not enough. you can satisfy, over and over, until you are depleted- but the feeling of restlessness, a craving for more, might still exist. with time the feeling does seem to pass. sometimes, the feelings are so intense we're willing to throw our aspirations to the wind, so that we might feel a sense of relief by satisfying this craving. we think even an altered state of mind is satisfying which can also be a distraction. soon we become ruled by restlessness and find ourselves asking, what happened? this leads to, irritability, inability to focus, giving in to weaker impulses, laziness, surely these traits should be considered as a retardation or even a disease of the mind.  Huh?
to overcome restlessness we have to ask ourselves why are we feeling this way- and what might we accomplish by appeasing a restless mind? its important to get to the root of restless feelings-
sometimes humans are self sabotaging when wants and needs aren't met.
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2020 06:50 pm »

i read from the gita that when we renounce something, the mind too needs to be trained. in other words- if we tell our bodies, i will not put food in you past this time- but the slightest inclination of reward lights up our brain, and can produce restlessness because we did not renounce the desire mentally. so it might be that restlessness comes about when we practice a particular discipline but our mind is giving in to the thing we are trying to with-stain from 
Report Spam   Logged
guest88
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2021 06:14 am »

Yesterday I found my self plagued with restless energy. Like a wave, it passed through me and eventually washed away. I wonder, sometimes all we can do is ride the wave. To be angry at our restlessness isn't fruitful. I read, when we are restless it is easier to live out poor habits- yesterday was a loud message to my mind and body- I am still enslaved. In recent years, I've willingly engaged in behavior that would keep me away from God. Being ruled by sex is one such willingness. And yet tonight, I found my self pleading to God to tear the veil between us. So naive, but I'm learning it's a wise practice to talk to our Ego as our inner child. There is an innocent you at 5 years of age shining within, and there is a much older you who has been through the roughness of life- when we are restless, it may be a good time to console our inner child. Even if that opportunity is not available until after the wave has passed. Be forgiving, be gentle. Life is short, I think as we draw even closer to our final moments as Steve H or Eric B- we can find an appreciation for this wave too.
Report Spam   Logged
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2021 03:02 pm »

The best response I can most likely give is from a Master. You mentioned youth in your last post. I read a lot about Amma this last week end. I came across her practice of Japa as a youth.

As a child Amma practiced Japa constantly. While walking when she forgot she would backtrack and practice again the step(s) she forgot.

“Actions are enjoyable only if the mind enjoys them... the mind alone is the cause of joy and sorrow....with this understanding we can become a witness.” ~ Amma

“Children, do not forget to always repeat your mantra. In the beginning japa should be done in a low voice. Later it can be done moving the lips slightly. Finally it should be done mentally. Thus japa should be practised constantly with each breath. Then japa will go on even if we don’t attend to it, even in sleep.”

https://www.amritapuri.org/6719/mantra-japa.aum

The mantra is the oar of the boat; it is the instrument you use to cross the samsara of your restless mind, with its unending thought waves. ~ Amma

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2021 03:34 pm by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

Silent Voice Within
stevehydonus@aol.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: