Spiritual Portal
Mar 19, 2024 11:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Steve Hydonus perform his song 'Demian' on YouTube!

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

SRF techniques vs Patanjalis eightfold path

Recent Items

Views: 2
Comments (0)
By: Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: innocent-eye

Views: 1
Comments (0)
By: hole

Views: 4
Comments (0)
By: hole
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SRF techniques vs Patanjalis eightfold path  (Read 252 times)
kashiraja

The sound to step upon on your way to heaven

« on: Sep 16, 2009 10:30 pm »

We as SRF students have our Hong Sau, Om-Meditation and the techniques of Kriya proper.

In the first two Kriya Lessons Yogananda gives an overview of the eight fold path of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and he states, that the Kriya techniques are a high form of Pranayama (energy control) that will lead to Pratyahara which in turn will enable the Yogi to practice Dharana (Concentration) and step 7 Dhyana (Meditation).

Now we practice Hong Sau (the technique for concentration) and the Om Meditation (a form of Meditation) before the technique for Pranayama. So what we call concentration through Hong Sau does not seem to be what Yogananda and Patanjali mean by Dharana (Concentration) and our Om Meditation does not seem to be the Dhyana (the meditation that comes before Samadhi)

And since with Dharana and Dhyana begins Yoga proper (See Kriya-Lesson 2, GtwA 77”The first five steps are the preliminaries of yoga”) the real Concentration (on the sound Aum) and the real Meditation (on the sound Aum) should begin after doing the Kriya Exercises.

That’s probably the reason why Yogananda recommends to sit preferably a long time after the having done Kriya proper.

Am I right with my ideas or what do you think about this matter?

Report Spam   Logged

He is a superior being, though he remain unheeded and unknown, who follows the simple virtues of life and the path of calm meditation that slowly but steadily unveil the soul, compared to one who pursues well-performed spectacular worldly duties catering to the senses, or who ... GtwA 404
Jitendra Hy-do-u-no-us?
Surrender Kitty
Administrator

Intereststs; Meditation/Spiritual Life

« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2009 01:15 am »

My initial thought on this would be that Dharana (Concentration) and Dhayana (in these techniques) are the goal of practicing the Hong Sau and Om techniques while making an effort to meditate. But true meditation is one pointed concentration on God alone this is what is meant by Dharana. When this state has been achieved we then can enter Dhayana. All of the meditation techiniques that we have been given helps us to realize the state of Dhayana. We don't say we must practice one technique to get to one state of consciousness and another technique to get to another state of consciousness. Yogananda is merely decribing the 8 fold path so that we know where we are in our spiritual evolution and practice and where we are headed by practicing all the techniques given. We are practicing concentration in the Hong Sau technique so that we can achieve the state of Dharana which is true concentration. By the way; there is no gaurantee that we are going to be in these higher states just by practicing Kriya. Kriya is just one more method to help us get there. Any one of these techniques can also help us get there or be there. So we are talking about techniques that help us towards different stages of the 8 fold path-states of consciouness that we achieve by practicing all these techniques every session.

i think the important thing with all this practice is to realize we are not talking about hair splitting mental gymnastics. i mean just about the time you think you got it figured out intellectually someone will come along and practice devotion and will already be where we are trying to get. But it does help to focus on the concepts that the great ones have left us. So Kashiraja in that sense i thank you for bringing these teachings to the forum.

Steve Hydonus
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009 01:56 am by Steve Hydonus » Report Spam   Logged

God Christ Gurus musical sample creations:
https://youtu.be/PU9157Esq-4 Hidden Springs

https://youtu.be/CQgAybAlVO0
Silent Voice Within
https://www.reverbnation.com/stevehydonus
stevehydonus@aol.com
For CD\'s of music by Steve or hydonus@yahoo.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: